Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday using a wheelchair ****first time*****

Options
  • 24-07-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey
    I finally book my holidays goin to turkey for a week. Haven't been away in years.
    I use crutches and a wheelchair this will be the first time i have used the airport with them.
    Can anyone tell me what I should expect. I presume the wheelchair & cruchtes will need to be x-rayed how do they do it. I'm a nervous flyer aswell how do I get onto the plane.
    Any tips and advice taken.
    Babs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hya

When you go to check in, inform the check in staff of your extra needs and then they will book a special needs crew to help you onto and off the aircraft. They have their own equipment and even have wheelchairs Often they will also give you seats up the front of the aircraft so you are near the toilets.

If you have a disabled parking permit, bring this with you as its handy to show at check in and also when you are away when you meet people with poor english.

Whether they scan your own equipment really depends on the security on the day. Some will and some wont bother.

I hope you have a great holiday:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MKMaguire

As per previous comment, you make arrangements with airline / airport, for your needs, however you must do this before you check in. With this done you should have no problem. Remember to request help, at the same time, for your arrival destination! Some airlines allow you to 'pay' and book seats and if with companion, suggest you sit in front of him / her as this allows you to recline seat without problem. Most times an isle seat is best ... provided that other passengers along side you can 'climb' over you to access / exit thereby leaving you easy access / exit also!
    You don't mention the type of wheelchair ... is it motorised or push? If the former you need to verify that the battery is of a type suitable for taking on board.
    We have a similar needs for my wife. We are travelling to Portugal and have arranged to hire a 'scooter' there, this means I don't have to push!
    Another item you may need to verify, before you go, has your accommodation got a walk-in shower and NOT a shower over a bath. Most have such facility on request / availability.
    And bring a 'prescription' with you as you may be able to purchase what you need, for rest of year, at rock bottom prices!
    Please share with us, on your return how the journey went?

Have fun, take care MKM.

Advertisement