Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should MNS be scraped?

• 24-07-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Pete Mahon thinks so http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3956/
    ...all this money that’s coming from the FAI, I think its €5 million a year. A lot of its going to MNS I think. I think they should forget about that because I don’t think it’s actually brought one extra person to the games.”
    Does MNS actually cost the FAI to make?
    I would have thought rte would be paying the FAI to show the games:confused:

Would ye guys agree about scraping the show?
    I dont watch it as it doesnt show highlights of the first division and I aint interested in the premier :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It isn't doing amazing ratings I'd say. It really isn't worth it. The same people will go to the matches anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Just because Mahon's Pats team isn't being lauded on the show he thinks it should be scrapped is how I read it.

The lineup of analysts have a few too many passengers.

Morley, McDonnall, Doolin. :confused:

These guys say nothing worth listening to and make me want turn on the mute button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

adamski8 wrote: »
    Pete Mahon thinks so http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3956/

Does MNS actually cost the FAI to make?
    I would have thought rte would be paying the FAI to show the games:confused:

Would ye guys agree about scraping the show?
    I dont watch it as it doesnt show highlights of the first division and I aint interested in the premier :o

Yeah, the FAI have to pay the national broadcaster money to show highlights of the LOI.

In no way should MNS be scrapped. As far as the ratings go, it's just another stupid decision by the FAI to have a lot of the fixtures on Monday evenings, a time when the ones who regularly watch MNS will be at the matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

It isn't doing amazing ratings I'd say. It really isn't worth it. The same people will go to the matches anyway.
    Exact same thing could be said for the Sunday Game etc.. But there's not a hope in hell of that being axed, so why should MNS go???

Show is a vast vast improvement on 'Eircom League Weekly' but still a lot of room for improvement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I dont think it should. Im not a huge fan (the panal does put me off) but it needs some kind of boos. It rediculous how bad our domestic league is compared to other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

blue-army wrote: »
    Exact same thing could be said for the Sunday Game etc.. But there's not a hope in hell of that being axed, so why should MNS go???

I very much doubt that. The Sunday game is watched by waaaaay more than just the match goers. Gets massive ratings comparitively.

(incidentally I don't think mms should be scrapped. Maybe it's time changed though. It's competing with a lot of prime time things. In my house I never get to watch it, there's always some soap at the same time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Should be changed to a later time, imo. Say 8 or half 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

There's been so many games on Mondays this year too, which is ridiculous having the show on the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's been so many games on Mondays this year too, which is ridiculous having the show on the same time.

Tuesday possibly makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Tuesday possibly makes more sense.
    Then it would have to be renamed TNS, enough to make any Bohs fan shudder :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

What genius decided to wedge it in between soap operas and rating grabbers like Nationwide and Scannal? :rolleyes:

It will never attract as many people as for the Premier League highlights, but I believe it has the potential to become popular if it's given a decent prime time slot.

Say, 10 o'clock on a Monday. And make sure it's RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can only go to one match. What about the rest? For selfish reasons: no. It's great for caching up on the action from other LOI games.

And, anecdotally at least, I know of a fair few people that don't go to LOI that do watch the show, like workmates. Even Gilesy uses it to keep tabs on the league. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I stopped watching MNS because they never seemed to show more than 2-3 mins of highlights of each match and only premier division ones at that. The panel spend too much time talking and then there's the stupid filler crap they put in like the karaoke thing they had before.

They should focus on showing more footage from the matchs as well as including more from the first division.

They should focus on showing more footage from the matchs as well as including more from the first division.

The 1st division is an embarassement to this country.

Leave it locked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I presume he'd want it replaced with something cheaper. They can't really go back to having no highlights programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

blue-army wrote: »

Show is a vast vast improvement on 'Eircom League Weekly' but still a lot of room for improvement.

Sunday game does 800,000 for All-Ireland finals. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, the FAI have to pay the national broadcaster money to show highlights of the LOI.
    i still dont understand:confused:
    were you being sarcastic or not?

Does anyone know what the deal between rte and the fai is for showing the highlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

con should be scrapped.if its not to do with shamrock rovers he does not care.Tony O Donoghue would be much better as hes unbiased and always talks well of the league.

Tony O Donoghue would be much better as hes unbiased and always talks well of the league.

Tony O'Donoghue, life long Cork City fan????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The 1st division is an embarassement to this country.

Leave it locked away.
    Excuse yourself, but it is the 2nd tier of football in the Country. If it is an embarassement, then it is still only a small step away from the Premier Division. What a very self satisfying post that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never watch it tbh, if the monmey was used to make grounds better which possibkly enticed RTE to pay to make a show in the future it wouldnt be a bad thing.

Think Pete is going for the "they all hate us" side of thing, hope it works :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    if the monmey was used to make grounds better

Translation: pissed away on player wages.

stovelid wrote: »
    Translation: pissed away on player wages.

No actually used to make grounds better, its what he was on about in the interview, same we (not you cos you got a free ground) all bitch about make the grounds worth visiting.

Granted some clubs would piss it away.

we fcuked atm as the new ground is going back up before DCRC in August so no money will be spent on richer (altho he plans to keep both so dunno why he doesnt fulfil the original plans).

new ground.

Is the one on the site of St Micheal's estate still on?

Is the one on the site of St Micheal's estate still on?

Back up in August with the condition that he builds the houses which was his condition :confused: Public sector eh

adamski8 wrote: »
    i still dont understand:confused:
    were you being sarcastic or not?

Does anyone know what the deal between rte and the fai is for showing the highlights?

Sh!t, sorry if that sounded sarcastic. No, that's the way it actually is. The FAI are paying them to broadcast the show!

Back up in August with the condition that he builds the houses which was his condition :confused: Public sector eh

Well, you know, houses are exactly what we need at the minute, innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The panel really needs a pantomine villain like Dunphy on the show and it would bring a lot more people in cut out some of the dross.

Well, you know, houses are exactly what we need at the minute, innit.

Fairly sure he will get his way this time, just not happy leaving Richer :( its ours :(

doesnt matter how shiny and new it is, its not richmond :(

• Advertisement

The panel really needs a pantomine villain like Dunphy on the show and it would bring a lot more people in cut out some of the dross.

It already has Roddy Collins.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sh!t, sorry if that sounded sarcastic. No, that's the way it actually is. The FAI are paying them to broadcast the show!
    cheers.
    holy crap! only in ireland eh?!!!
    can't believe that, the amount of **** rte produce and the amount of money the pay for the premiership and they cant even produce a small highlights show of own league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just because Mahon's Pats team isn't being lauded on the show he thinks it should be scrapped is how I read it.

I'd agree. He's being a misery guts lately..

The Mirror LOI pullout yesterday was a perfect example. Pete had a nice long list of wide and varied stuff he wanted to complain about from MNS to player character through health and safety and wages to Europe and whatever else people would listen to. Mysteriously except the brightness of Richmond..

You'd think being a point off top with a weaker squad would cause him to be happy, but evidently not. You'd think he's perfect for born-to-moan Bohs, yet..

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd agree. He's being a misery guts lately..

The Mirror LOI pullout yesterday was a perfect example. Pete had a nice long list of wide and varied stuff he wanted to complain about from MNS to player character through health and safety and wages to Europe and whatever else people would listen to. Mysteriously except the brightness of Richmond..

You'd think being a point off top with a weaker squad would cause him to be happy, but evidently not. You'd think he's perfect for born-to-moan Bohs, yet..

DEY TUK OR JEWBS!!!!!!

/btw he was bohs manager before ;)

//btw i read your forum shouldnt O neill be gone by now? your easily beating bohs fans on the whinging front.

I know he was ;) I don't remember him being this grumpy at UCD, must be feeling the pressure at Pats...

The majority of fans have always wanted O'Neill to stay even on our forum - and this week has more than restored the natural order in whinging ;)

dfx- wrote: »
    I know he was ;)I don't remember him being this grumpy at UCD, must be feeling the pressure at Pats...

The majority of fans have always wanted O'Neill to stay even on our forum - and this week has more than restored the natural order in whinging ;)

You sound like a Sligo Rovers fan trying to find things wrong with our manager when there's nothing there!!! :cool:

• Advertisement

Can't help feeling that Mahon - undeniably good manager that he is - is just doing a Fergie coming in to the final furlong of the league with the weakest squad of the contenders.

Can't help feeling that Mahon - undeniably good manager that he is - is just doing a Fergie coming in to the final furlong of the league with the weakest squad of the contenders.

Oh yeah :D

In fairness we have Byrne a man i honestly used to loathe as long as he is fit and playing im happy. Seriously the best player in the league by mile.

For the 19 midfielders Rovers have none of them come close to Angry between him and Kenna about our only hope for a title challenge but tbh think our small squad will tell, i have dreams of European finish :o

Oh yeah :D

In fairness we have Byrne a man i honestly used to loathe as long as he is fit and playing im happy. Seriously the best player in the league by mile.

For the 19 midfielders Rovers have none of them come close to Angry between him and Kenna about our only hope for a title challenge but tbh think our small squad will tell, i have dreams of European finish :o

Not knocking him mate - he's done fantastically with the overall thinness of your squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Look at the times MOTD broadcast at. Pick a night you don't have games scheduled on, and put the show on somewhere between 10pm and 11pm. There is a huge market of lads out there who would be sitting at home watching a couple of hours of television before bed on a weeknight and would be attracted to some football. Sure **** it, I'd watch a Japanese league highlights show if it offered 45 minutes of football on a night when there is little on.

As already stated in this thread, the current slot is on at a time when the target demographic is at matches (I honestly can't believe they're stupid enough to schedule matches at the same time as the show :rolleyes:), playing their own sport, at the behest of other people's viewing choices.

Not having a highlights package is not the way to go. But in saying that, more highlights, less chit chat has to be the focus...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Not having a highlights package is not the way to go. But in saying that, more highlights, less chit chat has to be the focus...

Football is football no matter what level you will see 30 yard screamers, 25 man passing moves and a screaming finish.

Tbh i see it every week (pats highlight reel alone have some serious screamers in it ).

RTE should pay to show this, atm the FAI pay RTE to show this. Youtube does a better job of it, we can see the goals of our match about 2 hours after the game.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt of that, I think and that has to be considered when he's criticising MNS or anything else. He'd criticise his dinner being overcooked at the moment and try turn it into a positive for Pats.

Separately MNS when not scheduled with other games on at the same time (and Setanta cup games last season) is very worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great idea Mahon, let RTE pay money to clubs instead of a TV progamme, nearly as good as taxpayers paying for Sporting Fingals owner throwing 1 billion onto NAMA.

Football is football no matter what level you will see 30 yard screamers, 25 man passing moves and a screaming finish.

I know, was kinda my point.
    RTE should pay to show this

Not going to happen at present and you know this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Look at the times MOTD broadcast at. Pick a night you don't have games scheduled on, and put the show on somewhere between 10pm and 11pm. There is a huge market of lads out there who would be sitting at home watching a couple of hours of television before bed on a weeknight and would be attracted to some football. Sure **** it, I'd watch a Japanese league highlights show if it offered 45 minutes of football on a night when there is little on.

Theres an obsession with putting out sports programs out at an earlier time so that the young audience, the 10-15 year old age group can see it and be converted (RTE/FAI presumably think this age group still goes to bed at 9pm).

RTE2 also like the 9 to 12pm slot to be their entertainment mix of CSI and Father Ted stuff etc. You see this even when they show a live game on a Friday - always a 7.35 kick off, game ends at 9.23, 2 minute discussion, bye bye, back to normal programming.

Theres an obsession with putting out sports programs out at an earlier time so that the young audience, the 10-15 year old age group can see it and be converted (RTE/FAI presumably think this age group still goes to bed at 9pm).

RTE2 also like the 9 to 12pm slot to be their entertainment mix of CSI and Father Ted stuff etc. You see this even when they show a live game on a Friday - always a 7.35 kick off, game ends at 9.23, 2 minute discussion, bye bye, back to normal programming.

When I was 10 - 15 I still remember watching MOTD (particularly as I moved more towards the teenage end of that timespan).

As for the rest, if you're paying for it and they won't play ball, see if TG4 / Setanta Ireland / TV3 will for the slot that best suits you...

so do rte get pay for the live matches they show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I'm watching it now and its very enjoyable:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Tony O'Donoghue, life long Cork City fan????

Awh well , sure that club doesnt exist any more .

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

RTE, FAI, the league itself:
    So many fakes and problems in each.

What the league is crying out for is investment. It won't get that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Anyone watching it now...

Roddy Collins is a bit of a spaz isn't he...:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement