Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Pundits and 'Co-Commentators.

• 24-07-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Who in fcuks name signs these people up?

Keith Barr!! Calling a 'goal' a 'gold' over use of the presenters name, over use of the 'middle third', atrocious grammar....atrocious delivery.. jeesh

John Maughan...sing song delivery .. calls it footbul not a bit convincing.

The gob****e who was with Lodge in Limerick... Galvin.... Galvin Galvin you idiot not Gallavin not Gallavin not Gallavin you total idiot.John Evans that's his name... total idiot.

Tried to take over.

Where do they get these punters....

Do they trawl the country for the most annoying gimps they can find:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Jaysus, you sound easily perturbed... glad to see I'm not the only one..

They seem to assume that ANY ex footballers can be a good pundit... But most of them dont have much of a personality.

It's such a pity they dont have a team of pundits like they have for the TV soccer.. you only realise how good Giles, Dunphy, O'Herlihy, and Brady are when you see how bad punditry can be done...

Unfortunately most of the GAA contributors we get are very politically correct, afraid to give opinions, professors of the bleeding obvious, and recite the same old cliche's they recited when they were interviewed as players..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which sport is this? None of those names rings a bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sorry apologies to all, got a bit carried away.

Gaelic games.

Pauric Lodge was commentating on the Cork Limerick and the co commentator was butting in and giving his own commentary.

He insisted in referring to John Galvin the Limerick player as John 'Gallavan' which when Pauric then used his correct name in the next sentence was totally incongruous.Tried to butt in in the middle of Lodges commentary.

Would NOBODY whisper in the guy's ear and tell him the player's name is GALVIN

Keith Barr is disasterous and Maughan goes on in a sing song voice.....

Sorry for the rather crude language in the opening post, but that guy Evans got me riled up badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Pauric Lodge was commentating on the Cork Limerick and the co commentator was butting in and giving his own commentary.

He insisted in referring to John Galvin the Limerick player as John 'Gallavan' which when Pauric then used his correct name in the next sentence was totally incongruous.Tried to butt in in the middle of Lodges commentary.

Would NOBODY whisper in the guy's ear and tell him the player's name is GALVIN
    And maybe the same person could whisper in FlutterinBantam's ear and tell him Pauric Lodge is actually Padraig Lodge!:D
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!!

And maybe the same person could whisper in FlutterinBantam's ear and tell him Pauric Lodge is actually Padraig Lodge!:D
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!!

Incorrect Leonard, Pauric is a perfectly acceptable spelling of the name.

I'd quit now before you make as big an idiot out of yourself as Evans did;)

• Advertisement

I'd quit now before you make as big an idiot out of yourself as Evans did;)
    Oh, so you're using poetic licence, so to speak? Fair enough. I was just going by the actual spelling of his name. So if Pauric is a "perfectly acceptable spelling of the name" as you so eloquently put it, I'm sure Gallavan is just as acceptable for Galvin? No?:p

Oh, so you're using poetic licence, so to speak? Fair enough. I was just going by the actual spelling of his name. So if Pauric is a "perfectly acceptable spelling of the name" as you so eloquently put it, I'm sure Gallavan is just as acceptable for Galvin? No?:p

No, I never use that licence friend.

You seem to have trouble with English language.

'Pauric' is a perfectly acceptable spelling for the golfers name.

'Gallavan' is not an acceptable pronunciation for 'Galvin.

That's how it pans out buddy.

No, I never use that licence friend.

You seem to have trouble with English language.

'Pauric' is a perfectly acceptable spelling for the golfers name.

'Gallavan' is not an acceptable pronunciation for 'Galvin.

That's how it pans out buddy.
    Yeah... rite!:rolleyes: That sure makes sense... silly me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭padraig_f

No it's not :)

Oh dear, so all these guys have it wrong have they?

http://www.pauric.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauric_Sweeney

http://www.pauricdoherty.com/

Don't be making a fool of yourself newbie;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Wow you're arrogant. They're variations, but are different names and not interchangeable. e.g. I pronounce the 'd' in my name, if someone spells it 'Pauric', they've got it wrong, that's a different name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Don't be making a fool of yourself newbie;)

For one thing, padraig_f is using boards.ie almost a year longer than you are so it's a bit ironic you calling him a "newbie".

For another thing, - and while I hate to be pedantic over semantics... Padraig and Pauric are two different names. Sure, they're derived from the same name, but they're spelled and pronounced differently - so one isn't an "acceptable substitute" for the other.

It'd be like people calling me "Níall" (pron.: "Neil") instead of "Niall" (pron.: "Nile"). Sure, one is just the Irish pronunciation, but it's still wrong in general (English language) conversation - as I don't pronounce my name that way. If we were speaking Irish now, that'd be a different matter...

Bard wrote: »
    For one thing, padraig_f is using boards.ie almost a year longer than you are so it's a bit ironic you calling him a "newbie".

For another thing, - and while I hate to be pedantic over semantics... Padraig and Pauric are two different names. Sure, they're derived from the same name, but they're spelled and pronounced differently - so one isn't an "acceptable substitute" for the other.

It'd be like people calling me "Níall" (pron.: "Neil") instead of "Niall" (pron.: "Niall"). Sure, one is just the Irish pronunciation, but it's still wrong in general (English language) conversation - as I don't pronounce my name that way. If we were speaking Irish now, that'd be a different matter...

There's always one isn't there.:rolleyes:

Pádraig and Pauric are the same names, both are a derivation of Patrick.

Neill and Niall are totally different, so please don't come in here and try to be condescending.

Doesn't work with the Flutther.

There's always one isn't there.:rolleyes:

Pádraig and Pauric are the same names, both are a derivation of Patrick.

Neill and Niall are totally different, so please don't come in here and try to be condescending.

How about responding to what I wrote not how you (mis-)read it?

I didn't compare "Neill and Niall", I compared Níall and Niall - which aren't totally different. They're the same name in different languages, hence pronounced (as I illustrated) and spelled (one has a fada over the i) differently. Being essentially the same name though doesn't mean that one pronunciation is an "acceptable" substitute for the other.

Pádraig and Pauric is a more extreme example. Pauric ISN'T 'just another spelling' of Pádraig - it's a DIFFERENT name with more differences in pronunciation (no "d" sound in the middle and a C sound instead of a G at the end), derived from the same name.

Doesn't work with the Flutther.

Arrogance doesn't make you any more correct, newbie :)

'Pauric' and 'Padraig' are different derivations of the same name buddy.

'Pádraig' can either be pronounced as Pádraig or 'Pauric'

I am using the 'Pauric' version.

I'm fairly sure that Mr Lodges name as Béarla is Patrick Lodge.

I am querying a surname pronuncation in case it escaped you buddy.

Don't butt into something you can't finish pal.

Nobody's arguing that.
    Generally yes, although that depends on whether you're speaking Irish or English and what your dialect is. When it comes to an individual person however - if THEY pronounce it with the D and the G, then that's the way to pronounce THEIR name.

In which case you're spelling it wrong. Plus, it's really not up to you to decide which pronunciation is 'correct' or 'acceptable', it's up to the owner of the name themselves. Just as if you decided to use the pronunciation of my name that sounds like "Neil". Sure, it's a version of my name -... but it's the wrong one.

Irrelevant. He doesn't use the name 'as Béarla' so his name is Pádraig Lodge.

Would you call Hector O'Heochagáin "Hector Hogan" and insist that it's a "perfectly acceptable pronunciation" of his name? The only perfectly acceptable pronunciation, in fairness, is the one he himself is happy with.
    It didn't "escape" me, I never mentioned the Galvin/Gallavan argument because I happen to agree with you on that one.
    Again, any chance of toning down the arrogance? I've every right to reply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Gee! What a tough man.... Or, maybe, a plonker?

Nobody's arguing that.

Generally yes, although that depends on whether you're speaking Irish or English and what your dialect is. When it comes to an individual person however - if THEY pronounce it with the D and the G, then that's the way to pronounce THEIR name.

In which case you're spelling it wrong. Plus, it's really not up to you to decide which pronunciation is 'correct' or 'acceptable', it's up to the owner of the name themselves. Just as if you decided to use the pronunciation of my name that sounds like "Neil". Sure, it's a version of my name -... but it's the wrong one.

Irrelevant. He doesn't use the name 'as Béarla' so his name is Pádraig Lodge.

Would you call Hector O'Heochagáin "Hector Hogan" and insist that it's a "perfectly acceptable pronunciation" of his name? The only perfectly acceptable pronunciation, in fairness, is the one he himself is happy with.

It didn't "escape" me, I never mentioned the Galvin/Gallavan argument because I happen to agree with you on that one.

Again, any chance of toning down the arrogance? I've every right to reply here.

Load of waffle there pal.

I am talking about pronunciation not spelling.

Jamie Carragher is pronounced 'Carrager' in the UK but 'Carraher' usually in Ireland.
    Pádraig is either pronounced 'Padraig' or Pauric'

Unlike a surname, the christian name spelling can change as in the links I posted, depending on the owners preference.

But the key point is Carragher never becomes Carragaher.

Actually, on the Pádraig/Pauric debate, you started out talking about spelling anyway, saying "Incorrect Leonard, Pauric is a perfectly acceptable spelling of the name"... so you weren't talking exclusively about pronunciation.

That aside, I simply fundamentally disagree with your point. If Jamie Carragher (your example) pronounces his name with a hard G, then that's the correct ("acceptable") way to pronounce it, wherever you're from. It's up to him... It's HIS name. Us 'naturally' pronouncing it differently isn't a major issue, but it does mean we technically aren't saying it "right". Just like calling me "Níall" (with a fada, pronounced "Neill") isn't a major issue... but it's still wrong.

My point is that it's NOT up to you to decide what pronunciation of someone's name is correct or 'acceptable', it's up to the person whose name it is.

And despite you choosing to gloss over or ignore it and disregard it as a 'load of waffle', I've made this point already. Nothing much I can do about you just ignoring and disregarding what I say, of course, apart from no longer wasting any effort or time paying attention to your stubborn arrogance and replying directly to you.

I simply fundamentally disagree with your point. If Jamie Carragher (your example) pronounces his name with a hard G, then that's the correct ("acceptable") way to pronounce it, wherever you're from. Us 'naturally' pronouncing it differently isn't a major issue, but it does mean we technically aren't saying it "right".

My point is that it's NOT up to you to decide what pronunciation of someone's name is correct or 'acceptable', it's up to the person whose name it is.

And despite you choosing to gloss over or ignore it and disregard it as a 'load of waffle', I've made this point already. Nothing much I can do about you just ignoring and disregarding what I say, of course, apart from no longer wasting any effort or time paying attention to your stubborn arrogance and replying directly to you.

Nobody is saying who is right or wrong.

I'm sorry, but it's not up to the person to decide what pronouncation of the name is acceptable.

The person can say what THEY prefer as to the correct pronounciation of their name, but in the instance of 'Pádraig' or 'Pauric' pronounciation, both are correct.

'Galvin' never becomes 'Gallavan'

that's my frikken point buddy.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but it's not up to the person to decide what pronouncation of the name is acceptable.

The person can say what THEY prefer as to the correct pronounciation of their name, but in the instance of 'Pádraig' or 'Pauric' pronounciation, both are correct.
    And that's where you and I fundamentally disagree. I'm fine with that :) I don't expect to change your mind.
    'Galvin' never becomes 'Gallavan'

that's my frikken point buddy.

I never argued with you on the Galvin/Gallavan issue - I agreed.

It's irrelevant what his name translates as because he uses the name Padraig Lodge not any other name...
    Again irrelevant you started off by slagging another person off for mispronunciation when you were doing exactly the same thing yourself.
    Why the aggression? Is it to mask your inability to effectively debate your point?

I'm going to listen hard to RTE next weekend and see what Mr Lodge
    a. calls himself
    b. others call him.

It's irrelevant what his name translates as because he uses the name Padraig Lodge not any other name...

No it's not, people use different pronunciation for that name.
    Again irrelevant you started off by slagging another person off for mispronunciation when you were doing exactly the same thing yourself.

No it's not 'Galvin' is 'Galvin' never 'Gallavan'

Why the aggression? Is it to mask your inability to effectively debate your point?[/QUOTE]

I'll debate as long as you want pal.

I'm going to listen hard to RTE next weekend and see what Mr Lodge
    a. calls himself
    b. others call him.
    But your original point had nothing to do with what Padraig Lodge calls himself or pronounces his name. You were busy slagging off someone else for their pronunciation so what's Lodge got to do with it??

I maintain that the only way to pronounce someone's name that can be defined as 'acceptable' is the way that the person themselves pronounce it or are happy to have it pronounced. It's 'acceptable' to the person whose name it is, then it's 'acceptable'. However, you disagree. That's your right. It's a really minor point and hardly one worth debating.

Why not get back on topic and talk about how bad these commentators very few of us seem to have heard of really are...?

I maintain that the only way to pronounce someone's name that can be defined as 'acceptable' is the way that the person themselves pronounce it or are happy to have it pronounced. It's 'acceptable' to the person whose name it is, then it's 'acceptable'. However, you disagree. That's your right. It's a really minor point and hardly one worth debating.

Why not get back on topic and talk about how bad these commentators very few of us seem to have heard of really are...?

'Padraig' can be pronounced as 'Padraig or 'Pauric'.

Neither of these is 'incorrect' .Both are acceptable.

The owner of the name, however, may prefer one version over the other.

Doesn't change the basic tenet though.

Reiterating your point over and over won't make me agree with you. I don't and won't and I'm fine with that.

So, how about them commentators, eh?

Why was that idiot Evans calling 'John Galvin' 'John Gallavan'

That's what I want to know:)

• Advertisement

He made a mistake and nobody pulled him up on it, perhaps?

Accent and dialect with a little colloquialism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Here is the man himself to settle this particular item.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/pauriclodge.html

Aidric wrote: »
    Here is the man himself to settle this particular item.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/pauriclodge.html

ROFL... so it *IS* Pauric then!!!

Better not pronounce it "Pádraig" so...

*runs*

ROFL... so it *IS* Pauric then!!!

Better not pronounce it "Pádraig" so...

*runs*
    Google both Padraig Lodge RTE and Pauric Lodge RTE and they're both listed on the RTE website under various headings... The plop thickens!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

'Gallavan' - a queer name but great stuff as the add used to go many moons ago.
    Long suffering followers of Tipperary football will forgive John Evans all after the great job he has done with the senior team, making them competitive and training a Tipp team to an Under 21 Munster football title, beating Kerry on their home patch.
    As a co-commentator, well thats a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

GAA comentators and pundits have their own rules of pronunciation and dialect which are never used in a non GAA context. For example saying "day boo" when a player makes his first appearance. Or even the name of the association - the Gee Ay, or how Marty Morrissey pronounces the name Mark Voh -han

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Something DOES need to be done about those GAA co commentators though.

Annoying and lazy miss-pronunciations apart they should surely be told NOT to butt in on the main commentary.

Look at the way the soccer crowd do it - two commentatrs but the second man only comes in when asked or when there is an obvious stoppage in play.

Where do they get the GAA commentators from though - they sound like such muck savages they must be lured down from the mountains with raw meat !

Advertisement