Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is what I call a penalty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Dunno how he even stayed standing up, cracking pen, no idea what the keeper thinks he can complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Couldnt figure out what was happening until they showed it from the reverse angle :p Reminds me of the thing Henry used to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You just know he has been waiting for his moment!

Great penalty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Outrageously good. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That was genius!

I would have fallen over the fecking ball if i tried that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Needlessly cool penalty, can see a lot of embarrassment when it doesn't come off for other players though. :pac:

This is still the perfect penalty, unsaveable.
    From 5.48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I've watched it about 10 times and still can't work out exactly what he did. It's a remarkable penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Needlessly cool penalty, can see a lot of embarrassment when it doesn't come off for other players though. :pac:

This is still the perfect penalty, unsaveable.
    From 5.48

Hardly the same thing and there are plenty at least as good and a few better than that. He just stuck it in the top corner. That lad, at that age, has done something a bit special.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Credit to the boy.

A plus.

Pure gold.

24 carat.

Stupendous.

Take a bow son.

What a penalty.

Ooohhhhh maaaannn that is ridiculous!

and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Can't get my head around it. I'm guessing if I tried it I'd prolly just kick myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

That was absolutely class.

I would be on my ass if i tried that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I taught him how to do that :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LOL why would anyone put the Nani peno anywhere near this thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Hardly the same thing and there are plenty at least as good and a few better than that. He just stuck it in the top corner. That lad, at that age, has done something a bit special.

You are just running it down because its a United player, if it was a Liverpool player that hit it you would be singing his praise, you have to admit its a great penalty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

curry-muff wrote: »
    You are just running it down because its a United player, if it was a Liverpool player that hit it you would be singing his praise, you have to admit its a great penalty :rolleyes:

Yeah it's good but nowhere near as good as the one in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Mezcita wrote: »
    Yeah it's good but nowhere near as good as the one in the first post.

Depends on your idea of a good penalty I suppose. Which would you prefer to be able to do every time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

'which would you prefer to be able to do everytime?' . . . . emmmm, the exceptional one in the first post, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Mr Alan wrote: »
    'which would you prefer to be able to do everytime?' . . . . emmmm, the exceptional one in the first post, obviously.

Why :confused: If the keeper guessed right it would have been a simple save, in Nani's even if the keeper guessed right he was never getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i can't believe this thread is being hijacked in some sort attempt at a united love in-there has been hundreds of brilliantly taken penos like Nanis. It was a standard very well taken peno, this kids was exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hang on a minute hi-jacked well before the Nani peno, what about the Arsenal fans throwing in their Henry love heart? ridiculous.

Just realx yes the kids penalty was spectacular but if the keeper goes the right way its saved whereas in the Nani one if the kepper goes the right way its still unsaveable because the height and speed is perfect, yet ild still rather the 1st pen anyday haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This is what I call a penalty!

I was trying to look for a penalty taken, I believe, by Gordon Strachan back in the day.*

As the ref blew the whistle for the penalty to be taken, Strachan, who was standing over the ball, bent down as if he was intent on readjusting its position. Seeing what was going on the keeper relaxed just a little. Then Strachan, who was still bent over apparently fixated on the ball, gave it a little toe pock into the back of the net. First disbelief from the opposition team then rage.

*I could be well off with the details. I saw it as a brief clip many moons ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is what I call a penalty!

Pires made a right mess of that

Now watch how it's done correctly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gi98iEziKQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Honestly, i first did that years ago. But fair play to the lad, he did it on a biggish occasion. Probably should've saved it for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Never seen that before woah! that is epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I first saw it I posted here if it was legal.

No doubt about, it's perfectly legal, Cryuff stroked the ball forwardand the his teammate took over

As for the lad in the OP, I've be on my ass if I tried that!
    Well done to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

they are both great penos...both completely different though...The spanish guys peno was unbelievable technique...but it is quite savable if the keeper went the right way...but he was never going to go that way I suppose...no keeper in the world would have saved Nani's peno even if he told them where he was putting it - it was 100% accurate into the very top hand corner, with power. Very hard to do..and no keeper will get near it. lets just appreciate both for their own merits!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »

jesus no chance

the first one is a novelty peno. if he comes up against a keeper whos seen it itll be saved

shape your body to stick it to the keepers right with your right foot, toepoke it with your left foot to his left with your left foot

youre never going to get a solid connection with the ball kicking it that way either, so its going to be a handy save for any keeper going that way

nanis is simply unsavable. you dont have enough momentum from a static position to get across to the top corner quick enough to save that kinda peno, even if you know exactly where its going

the first one is class, and cheeky - very inventive, but not practical and hugely savable. nanis is flawless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Never seen that before woah! that is epic!

its what arsenal tried to replicate and made a balls of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Helix wrote: »
    jesus no chance

the first one is a novelty peno. if he comes up against a keeper whos seen it itll be saved

shape your body to stick it to the keepers right with your right foot, toepoke it with your left foot to his left with your left foot

youre never going to get a solid connection with the ball kicking it that way either, so its going to be a handy save for any keeper going that way

nanis is simply unsavable. you dont have enough momentum from a static position to get across to the top corner quick enough to save that kinda peno, even if you know exactly where its going

the first one is class, and cheeky - very inventive, but not practical and hugely savable. nanis is flawless

QFT

Also, the thread title isn't "Let's all fawn over this youtube novelty penalty clip", it's "This is what I call a penalty".

I'm pretty sure a perfectly executed top corner job is what a lot of people call a penalty, ahead of some once-off, admittedly enjoyable, parlour trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Great peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Cruyff penalty is the best.

As for the one in the OP, if you do that and miss, you're a goon - just stick it in the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tolosenc wrote: »
    Cruyff penalty is the best.

As for the one in the OP, if you do that and miss, you're a goon - just stick it in the net.

If you f*ck up the Cruyff penalty you're just as big a goon surely?

In fact it was f*cked up by a right pair if goon-(ers) a few years back.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

flahavaj wrote: »

In fact it was f*cked up by a right pair if goon-(ers) a few years back.:pac:

Here we are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

After I saw a clip of Henry in a warmup doing that fake shot trick I started messing about at training on time and when I was taking a penalty I did the same thing.

On a stage like that it takes some guts to try it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

JokerD wrote: »

Quick City buy him :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

flahavaj wrote: »

You'll still have the dignity of not being on your arse, or at least looking like you meant it... I don't quite get how Arsenal manged to screw that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I'm surprised to see a bit of a debate about the peno, I know I said " This is what I call a penalty" and read some comments suggesting that it's more of a novelty peno and is hugely savable if the keeper has seen it before. Fair enough, but the fact is if you examine the peno as a once off and forget about any future attempts that may be saved, then this peno is truely brilliant, in this case the keeper had probably never seen anything like it and was totally fooled and had no chance. You could apply that theory on countless penos, like the dink down the middle, how many times have keepers seen that but fall for it again and again. I never said it was the ultimate unsavable peno but still "This is what I call a penalty" as the keeper was fooled by an innovative piece of genius, next time the keeper might be more aware but any future missed attempts should never take away from this lad's success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Trying to find Larsson's penalty from a few years ago. He lined up as if he was going to hit it with his left (standing at an angle to the right of the ball). Then when he made his run up he sidefooted it with his right into the top left of the net.

Advertisement