Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Cures for worms, and fleas.

Options
  • 24-07-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi,

My husband has a rottie/doberman mix. we are just wondering if there are any homemade cures for worms? and fleas? just curious.

Thanks, HummingBird171

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I do not know but with 9 dogs & 16 cats I sure would like to know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wow fayesy!
    Walkies must be fun:P
    I got my hands full with two of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

There are herb remedies but i would stick with the regular drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Apparently feeding them garlic is meant to be good. It repels fleas and helps get rid of worms. But then again, onions are meant to be bad for dogs, so I'm not sure if garlic is good, isn't it similar to onions, maybe? . . .

When my dogs had worms then I read somewhere that feeding them raw garlic and raw veg (carrots are good) a while before they eat their dog food is good, to help get all the worms out. But I also treated them with worming tablets. Their breath smelt very garlicky after though! I imagine if you fed them garlic all the time then you'd smell it on their skin too maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Apple cider vinegar is supposed to work, a little bit in their water and then build it up. Don't think it works for fleas but if definetly works for ear mites is Thornit ear powder, one of our dogs gets pukey if given the usual stuff like Advantage etc. I found that Thornit worked really well.

Here's a link http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1658/thornit-ear-powder--20g

Neem based products can be good too, there's an anti flea drop you can get in some supermarkets now can't remember the name but it's neem oil based, I got it for my collie you put one vial on the neck and another at the base of the tail. So far so good no fleaseys. The vials are gree, can't remember the name of it though. Dunnes stocks it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

FYI, anything in the onion family can be toxic to dogs. And if your dog/cat has a worm problem, I would definitely go with a proper worming drug, which you can only get at a vets or chemist (at least here in Ireland- supermarket varieties are useless as supermarkets are not licensed to sell drugs strong enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

I've just gotten over a flea attack in my house, horrible little things!!
    One of my cats is too young to use anything on so it was hard to get rid of them. I found the best thing was a bath with baby shampoo. Keep the suds on for about five mins (Not an enjoyable experience) then rinse off.
    They all cam off her and she's back to being a happy little thing! To keep them away, a little drop of tea tree oil on the neck is good, and it will help with any bites the dogs have. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Parazole is a gentle liquid wormer, it's good to go as natural as possible with animals but lung worm is apparently becoming a problem in some areas so ensure you get a wormer that deals with that as well as other wormies.
    It works for us anyway plus must cheaper because is lasts there are a good few doses in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

We used to collect wormwood plants and make something like tea and give it to the dogs for worms. Bathed them in the same solution with added rosemary for flees. Don't know if there are any wormwood native to Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Please be very careful using any alternative remedies on cats. They are very different to dogs. A cat's liver is not good at eliminating toxins - not anywhere close to as good as a human liver or a dog's liver. This means that items you might use on people or on dogs can be toxic to cats.

You should never use essential oils on a cat (and even be careful burning incense, oils and scented candles in a room where the cat spends a lot of its time - anything where the oil ends up as tiny droplets in the air), and some substances that would seem fine to us can be toxic to them (even a commercial wormer meant for a small dog can kill a cat).

• Advertisement
Advertisement