Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GGPO is made by a single engineer, and yet is the de-facto standard all commercial games strive to beat...

He clearly said functionality and robustness, not netcode. Neither respect GGPO can exactly be said to excel in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looking at some SFIII:2nd Impact vids.

Dear Ono-san:
    I want those backgrounds, hell I want those multi-tier stages.
    I want those intros.
    I want those win screens.
    I want those healthbars.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Armitage Shanks1

I was really expecting this to be shown at Captivate last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Looking at some SFIII:2nd Impact vids.

Dear Ono-san:
    I want those backgrounds, hell I want those multi-tier stages.
    I want those intros.
    I want those win screens.
    I want those healthbars.
    For once, I agree with Kiki(:p), SFIII and SFIII Giant Attack were far more beautiful and had bags more personality than SFIII bland strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i hope the grade system stays.
    I for one thought it was quite neat, unlike the SF4 one that no one gives 2 toss's about. A big ****in A+ would put a smile on your face as its not that easy to get, along with E++ on a total mashing noob.
    They could tweak the accuracy a bit, seems like high grades are sometimes easily awarded for big combo finishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Which is the better port for home? The original Xbox, the DC, or is it worth importing the PS2 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

The JP ps2 version is the best. Xbox one on 360 has some slowdown and music bugs in places. the USA ps2 version runs a tad faster (or is it slower) than arcade. JAP ps2 is spot on afaik, it's what I use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Wasn't the Xbox one pretty much spot-on if it was played on an Xbox as opposed to a 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Don't go near it on the 360 anyway.
    I was playing it a few days ago and the slowdown is unforgivable

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I've played them all and I've found the Dreamcast JAP import to be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ken B wrote: »
    I've played them all and I've found the Dreamcast JAP import to be the best.

JP PS2 is tournament standard afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Orim wrote: »
    Wasn't the Xbox one pretty much spot-on if it was played on an Xbox as opposed to a 360?
    Yar, it does work pretty near perfect on original xboxs from what I've gathered. This now makes me wonder why I've been playing it in my 360 when an old xbox is plugged into the same TV.

I think everyone missed this
    Ramza wrote: »
    JAP ps2 is spot on afaik, it's what I use

JK :pac:

But on original xbox the pad is **** and you may need extra converters + lag to use your stick. Xbox 360 version is fine for practice, just in places like after chun sa2 or genei jin it's tough

PS2 is the best if you can use a 3rd party to play imports, but I'll let you figure that one out, rules and that craic

Toodles' Cthulhu/MC Cthulhu controller PCBs work natively on Xbox1 if you use a USB-to-Xbox adapter, since Xbox1 pads are actually regular USB with a different connector.

As for the "best" way of playing it, I'd go with ROM images & CPS3 emulator.

After that, JP PS2 if you have it.

DC version is based on the 2nd arcade revision IIRC (Urien unblockables don't work, a few other changes).
    Also, the regular DC pad has input lag on the triggers.

Toodles' Cthulhu/MC Cthulhu controller PCBs work natively on Xbox1 if you use a USB-to-Xbox adapter, since Xbox1 pads are actually regular USB with a different connector.

As for the "best" way of playing it, I'd go with ROM images & CPS3 emulator.

After that, JP PS2 if you have it.

DC version is based on the 2nd arcade revision IIRC (Urien unblockables don't work, a few other changes).
    Also, the regular DC pad has input lag on the triggers.

It's not the best way since a lot of emus apart from Nebula carry lag. And also, no training mode on arcade?

Cheers lads, gonna sort out a PS2 version for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://p.twipple.jp/LFK4J

J.jpg

Hugo, Remy, some rather ugly-looking graphics filtering, and the ever-present Blanka toy.

Looks identical to one of the filters on GGPO heh

Where the hell is this game? Come on already, it feels like forever since it was announced, and almost nothing has been leaked.:(

I want screenshots, details, dates, ANYTHING...

i think only some subset of gamers are looking forward to this
    everyone else is for AE and SF vs TEKKEN and if they dont time the marketing for this correctly then it may just be a pointless port, waste of time and resources.

• Advertisement

One posted up a shot of the optional sprite filtering.

E.jpg

It actually looks shockingly good. I'll probably not use it regardless though. 3S's sprites are just so lovely as they are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, not a massive 3S fan but if there's one aspect of it which is 100% beyond reproach it's the sprite art. Not sure if "improving" it is what people want to see, but I'm sure it'll just be an option.

There are filters on emulators that use hardware acceleration
    and that bifiltering smooth effect is available on the emulator GGPO uses

it does however look marginally better, when are they release more news on this? did he say after E3?

also 3s sprite are lovely but not when you're gonna be playing it on a HD LCD on your xbox. Filtering will just smooth out the pixels, not really affecting the sprites or animation

E3'll have a flood of SF3 info I imagine. Ono showed some fuzzy images of the slides they'll be using for the presentation.

Tournament/Competitive play aside/cast variations and all its implications aside: Is there really all that great a difference between Second Impact and Third Strike?

Yeah, ALOT.
    Its like asking how Alpha 2 is different to Alpha 3.
    Gameplay to framerate mechanics.

I play The first one, new generation in Las Vegas the other month, it was horrible [when compared to 3s] parrying was so slow etc etc, and no chunli !!!

They actually added/took out moves for characters between 2I and 3S didn't they? As far as I recall, Dudley lost his Thunderbolt (downpercut) in 3S.

They also changed ~90% of the voice cast and music.

Having never experienced 2I properly, I'd love if they gave an option for the old voices (very unlikely though).

New characters in 3s, some voices changed, different HUD graphics, different stages, some supers meter stocks changed, balance changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

That filter does look nice.

Advertisement