Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

So it looks like you get Gill unlocked and a free theme if you pre-order this on PSN. Maybe I'll get this for both consoles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

You can pre-order games on PSN now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Naphiel wrote: »
    You can pre-order games on PSN now?

Starting on Tues Aug 9th [Probably Wed the 10th for us]

This is not the way to get your points taken seriously.

Heh heh, fair enough i suppose. Force of habit. It was nothing too serious, I'm just used to referring to them that way.

Let's just say i like both companies products and technology, but some of their business practices as corporations and some of the ways they treat their customers irk me slightly. Anyways, no offense intended to any Sony or MS fans...
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But how much game play (time) did you get out of them?...Surely Capcom are well within their rights to charge you 50 per 500hrs gameplay? wink.gif

Yes, i completely agree, i wouldn't argue with that. I think video games as a media format are fantastic value. Very few if any forms of published entertainment can offer consistent engagement over scores or even hundreds of hours the way a good video game can, and i think re-buying a game occasionally when it's user base receives an injection of new blood or new interest is perfectly acceptable in terms of the value you get for your spend, particularly when it offers as much value as this title looks like it will offer.

My only issue with re-releasing/updating old titles is from the point of view of a collector of games, not from a value standpoint. I like to see an agreed, defined standard, particularly where multiplayer games are concerned. It's nice to be able to log on and play a game with a hardcore community of players a long time after a game is released instead of having that same community fractured over lots of different formats and platforms. It's also nice, (speaking as a person who collects and appreciates old games) to be able to stick an old disc into a current gen piece of hardware and heat it up and have a game without having to drag old systems out of the closet and connect them up, or worse having to keep 10 different boxes connected to your TV.
    Exactly how I feel.I think this version will open up the series to a wider audience.A playing field that I'll be able to gradually learn from..with loads of online handicaps players to make me feel good :)
    GGPO scares me,I learn nothing from being kicked about by a player with 10 years experience,again and again

Exactly. I was pretty good at ST back in the day, but i played HD Remix almost religiously when it came out on XBL a couple of years ago, and it really upped my game to an extent that GGPO never did. Things like access to player match rooms and voice chat, as well as all the various internet resources out there allowed me to find players who challenged me but were still within my reach and made the whole in-game experience fun and evenly matched as well as it being useful for helping me to improve my game.

That game was built with user experience and player improvement in mind, and had loads of value in it for a re-release of a game that i already owned multiple versions of already. Many of the features in it (blind picking, player rooms, super solid netcode, etc) have become the de-facto standard for fighters in the last couple of years, and it looks like 3S OE will improve on that even more. For example, I LOVE the new "save state" feature you can see in that demo video, where you record an exact set up or chain of events you want to run through or practice, and then you can hit the select button on the fly and it will re-run the exact sequence as many times as you like. That will be invaluable for learning new techniques and skills without messing around with semi-useful recording modes.
    Rob2D wrote: »
    So it looks like you get Gill unlocked and a free theme if you pre-order this on PSN. Maybe I'll get this for both consoles!

Ugh, Gill. I'd forgotten about playing against him:mad:. I hope Capcom don't do anything silly with him online. De facto standard for online rooms should be Gill as unselectable. Let people who want him selectable go and enable him in the options and create a "noob lobby" or something for themselves, and stay the hell out of everybody else's way. I don't want Gill users lousing up the searchable player match lobbies like Akuma users did in HD Remix. That will be where all the action is.

Most broken boss EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Anyways, no offense intended to any Sony or MS fans...

It's not about offense, it's just that childish name calling is never a good way to be taken seriously, regardless of your console affiliation.

Nintendo OFFICIAL magazine started doing this back in the dark days of N64 and Gamecube. "If we can't beat them....... we'll call them Micro-crock and Fony". Great journalistic integrity there.
    It's also nice, (speaking as a person who collects and appreciates old games) to be able to stick an old disc into a current gen piece of hardware and heat it up and have a game without having to drag old systems out of the closet and connect them up

I agree.

The practical problem there though is that unless you physically include the last-system's chips in the new systems case, you're always going to be emulating, which isn't as good.

Sony did this with the first-gen US PS3s, but removed it from all subsequent versions (I believe) because of the expense. This wasn't an issue for the Wii, as it is basically a Gamecube, but Nintendo are pretty good about doing this in their handhelds (almost always work one previous generation back) up until the DS era, where they phased out GBA support between the Lite and the i.

Whoops, haha, tangent. What are we talking about?

Third Strike?

Yeah I'll buy it. Not sure how much play it's going to get post launch though. Seems like it will be an incredible amount of work to get even barely competitive at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It's honestly a pretty easy game to learn. The combos are in general quite short (apart from a select few characters), usually just chaining a couple of moves into a super etc. and the execution isn't particularly difficult.

I think the main thing people think of when talking about stuff like that is parrying, which honestly isn't a big deal - I never made a concerted effort to learn to parry, and spent months learning the game without really utilising it and improving fairly quickly. It's just something that starts coming to you naturally as you get used to the game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So I know Remy is crap, but if I wanted to play 3S, knowing how I play and all, who'd you recommend I pick up?

Not saying I am, just a wondering. I hear Urien is a likely candidate.

So I know Remy is crap, but if I wanted to play 3S, knowing how I play and all, who'd you recommend I pick up?

Not saying I am, just a wondering. I hear Urien is a likely candidate.

The very concept of trying to zone in a game where fireballs are worthless boggles my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I dont think remy is a good choice. This game is much more offensive and aggressive. I personally think oro is underestimated. Go with makoto endless fun.

The very concept of trying to zone in a game where fireballs are worthless boggles my mind.

Good zoning relies on alot more than just a constant stream of projectiles, I won't say I never play like that but there's more to me than just that.

I air throw too
    Placebo wrote: »
    I dont think remy is a good choice. This game is much more offensive and aggressive. I personally think oro is underestimated. Go with makoto endless fun.

Lol, did you miss the "bearing in mind how I play" bit? Maybe Oro, deffo not Makoto.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say, I'm very interested in playing all the chars who WEREN'T ported to IV to see how they play, some of them seem really weird.

You just cant play the way you do right now. Projectiles are really slow, with the exception of remy. But with parrying and AIR tech, you wont be able to keep them afar. In all honesty the best turtle character is chun-li. Mainly because of her normals, they reach quite far. Twelve is also a good annoying character. I think you should go with twelve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Good display of Twelve in this video

You'll really have to work for wins with him

Fireballs aren't "worthless" in 3s, that's a bit of an overstatement. They are crap but they definitely have their (limited) uses:

Remy zoning (requires learning to charge partition to be of any use)
    Urien orbs
    Ryu/Ken blockstring into ex fireball
    Oro's annoying fireball thing
    Fireball into Denjin with SA3 Ryu (more to do with the super than the fireball, though the super is a fireball as well :pac:)
    Akuma air fireballs + red fireball xx SA1 chip setup

@ Doom, Farz is probably right there, Chun is a brilliant turtle, as well as easy to learn and play. She is pretty boring though.

I was actually in the same boat as you when I first tried 3s, going from ST Guile and trying to learn Remy. I soon figured out he was awful and tried learning again with Ken (who I still find very fun).

Honestly the game plays so differently to other SF games that you may find yourself playing it differently to the others, I definitely found that anyway. I'd say start off with a simple, solid character like Ryu/Ken/Chun and experiment, with the amount of variety in 3s I'd say you'll figure out a character you like fairly fast.

edit: typo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I reckon doom would be suited to Necro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Doom, you should be "THAT" guy who hates 3S but learns the cheapest character because you wanna prove a point.

Also, parrying can get you killed.
    Ask Dreddy, he's trying to teach me to stop parrying so much.

Doom, you should be "THAT" guy who hates 3S but learns the cheapest character because you wanna prove a point.

nonononononono I am never doing that again. Do that and you end up in a foreign country on a stream with a French commentator shouting in your ear and you spend the night practicing the game you don't even really like instead of getting pissed even though you're on holidays because you don't want to embarras yourself because somehow you've managed to get further in a tournament than you really should, and then getting dragged up on stage for loads of matches in other games because they reckon you're awesome, all because you exploited leg spam and super armour!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ask Dreddy, he's trying to teach me to stop attempting to parrying so much.

Fixed tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Fireball into Denjin with SA2 Ryu (more to do with the super than the

Denjin is unblockable so meaty Denjin has to be parried on wakeup, but it comes out at different speeds depending on how much you charge it, the jab fireball you throw out before Denjin is mainly to screw up your opponents parry timing.

nonononononono I am never doing that again. Do that and you end up in a foreign country on a stream with a French commentator shouting in your ear and you spend the night practicing the game you don't even really like instead of getting pissed even though you're on holidays because you don't want to embarras yourself because somehow you've managed to get further in a tournament than you really should, and then getting dragged up on stage for loads of matches in other games because they reckon you're awesome, all because you exploited leg spam and super armour!

I've heard a lot of stories about this. Is there a video? Ideally with annoyed French subtitles?

• Advertisement

J0hnick wrote: »
    Denjin is unblockable so meaty Denjin has to be parried on wakeup, but it comes out at different speeds depending on how much you charge it, the jab fireball you throw out before Denjin is mainly to screw up your opponents parry timing.

Err yeah I know, that's what I was saying.

edit: Meant SA3 though obviously. Just got SA2 Ryu on the brain cause he's a beast.

Also, parrying can get you killed.
    Ask Dreddy, he's trying to teach me to stop parrying so much.

Parry only when you are 100% certain, kinda like when you focus
    Dull example: some one jumping in with a kick, SF4 focus backdash is an option, SF3 parry is an option.

Parry also works well on wakeup, you get the feel and rythm of it as you play, you pick up on people patterns. Theres no point parrying like a goon i.e following Rakurais video tutorial.

FIRST TO TEN KIKI,
    sort out GGPO

then when xbox version is out, im coming for you ¬!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Just start off with a char that's solid like Dreddy says, Ryu/Ken/Chun are good starting points for experimenting cause you get a feel for everything in the game. Hit confirming, good pressure, how to defend well, spacing etc they require it all and it also will slowly get you into the pace of 3s. Playing Remy coming from Guile is tough cause Remy doesn't rely on confirms or an up close game really(not that Guile does), he relies on charge partitioning (and using non stop prejectiles to zone), non stop all game to keep his offense and zoning game up, not something a beginner wants to mess around with. Remy is a TOUGH character to use properly. He has pretty good pokes but it takes pretty good determination to use him and not a good character to mess with if you want to learn 3s imo

Parrying, like i've said a million times comes to you naturally from playing. I swear. Trust me on this. It's not something you sit down and learn. This is coming from close to 6/7 years of playing experience

As far as Urien goes DooM you need a very, very solid defense to play him, which you have in spades, you can't really AA with him (outside of char specific st.mp xx sphere) so when people get in your face you have to sit and tech well, and wait for an opening. It's tough with Urien when someone pins you, and knows what they're doing (NGU Boy absolutely raped me with his sub Yang not too long ago on GGPO). Thing about Urien is that he's an offensive monster midscreen and in the corner. He can keep any char at bay (Chun and Ken match him here though) midscreen, while controlling the field and safely building meter if you use him properly.

He has little to no footsie game though. Not really important imo since he has one of the best pokes in the game (j.RH), and can partition headbutt over pokes. He has some very solid moves though (st.strong, st.fierce, cr/st/forward are all excellent moves). He has one of the most insane offensive games next to Chun/Yun imo, he builds meter like nothing else (Urien with 2 bars is Urien with 3), he has unblockables, Aegis is a total headwrecker and when a good Urien pins you, it can mean trouble. He's a really great solid mid/upper tier character and I really liked him because of his double edged sword business. For his more advanced stuff though you need to be able to buffer and partition quite well, but honestly he's a great character and no better guy to give anyone any tips if they want to use Urien

Dreddy and Blinn have come along greatly just from playing with Tin, me and some randomers on GGPO. No reason why you guys can't either when OE comes out

Parrying on wakeup is what I'm trying to get Kiki out of the habit of, it's really risky. It's like a wakeup dp that doesn't come out half the time and you eat a combo instead.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Parrying on wakeup is what I'm trying to get Kiki out of the habit of, it's really risky. It's like a wakeup dp that doesn't come out half the time and you eat a combo instead.

well you dont just parry, use it as an option select, ofcourse there are chances you will eat a combo if you guess wrong. But then theres SGGK? but i never got that

You can't really use it as an option select if you're wakeup parrying, you're just guessing. You can use parries safely/as OS in a ton of other situations for sure though.

What if I just stand outside throw range on your wakeup all day and poke the **** out of you, you can't OS for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Blinn

I was speaking to Red_Venom and Renic (Denjin players) about guess parrying and they were saying 3s is the ultimate gambler's game - some people get addicted to that feeling of guessing right and feeling like a genius.

My take on it is guess parrying is a legitimate, albeit very risky option on wakeup that you should only resort to when your opponent is becoming stale and obvious in their mixup or when the risk/reward is vastly in your favour. I used to do it a bunch but trying to parry everything is just a phase everybody has to go through.

True, I have to admit I guess parry quite a lot without realising, although it's becoming hard to label it as a bad habit if you get me lol

• Advertisement

True, I have to admit I guess parry quite a lot without realising, although it's becoming hard to label it as a bad habit if you get me lol

Advertisement