Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've heard a lot of stories about this. Is there a video? Ideally with annoyed French subtitles?

There's a stream of me getting beaten but that's just the final part of the story.

There were 2 players in my group who were quite good but clearly were not versed in the ways of leg spam. It was early days so people's mixups and assist use were not good so I was free to abuse it. I can apply pretty constant pressure with Chun if you don't know how to stop it and no one seemed to. I passed out of my group without dropping a fight.

My fight in top 16 was supposed to be the really hilarious one, the Yomi gods were with me and I hit my opponent with 5 teleport meteor strikes in a row. It was just one of those fights where I knew what he was going to do next every time. he'd try to dash out of the projectile punishing one and I'd do a midscreen one. Sucks to be him.

Voa speaks French and he said the commentator was, and I quote, "calling you out on all of your bull****".

People actually started groaning when I pulled out Chun and the commentator was going "yip-yip-yip" like 3S Chun. He kept shouting GRANDE POIS when I called in Hulk and just abused his armor. I could hear people shouting and groaning when I wouldn't finish any combos properly ( I actually didn't know how to).

This was all very hilarious and ha-ha-ha-how-****-is-this-game-I-don't-even-play-it until I realised I would be streamed in the finals the next day. So I had to grab the nearest guy who knew what he was doing (Voa) and spend the night learning combos and stuff because I didn't want to be an embarrasment.

The guy I was fighting in top 8 was clearly way better than me but he raged easier than Ry after playing Cobelcog for 3 hours. He beat me 2-1 in the end but I managed to pull off what I wanted to do at some point, which was catch his character in the air doing legspam and actually lift my left hand off the stick and do a devil horns sign as I continued to mash. Every single time (and I must of landed it 10 times in the course of the three fights) I hit legs- Kikosho his hands would flail in the air in rage (and because we were at different monitors, I could see him doing it, head on).

When he beat me, he shook my hand, and leaned over and said into my ear in a very heavy French accent "You're so... so..(couple of seconds while he tries to find a word to describe the hatred he felt for me right then and settles on one) gáy".

That's the full story of me and MvC3 in Cannes.

I'll shut up now and let you return to 3S talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So you're saying that "Tap Toward" is my drug?
    :pac:

Ramza wrote: »
    Just start off with a char that's solid like Dreddy says, Ryu/Ken/Chun are good starting points for experimenting cause you get a feel for everything in the game.

Ryu and ken with a side of Akuma and maybe Urien will be my picks. Mainly the shotos because I already know their character design, moves, and a lot of their strengths and weaknesses and I just feel that it's a kind of running start in most new SF games versus learning a new main from scratch. Ken in particular seems to be OK tier, and from what I've played before, ryu is solid mid tier but lots of fun, and I love messing with his EX axe kick>wall bounce set ups.

I always loved Akuma before HD Remix killed him off for me. How does he rank in 3S? He seems like he's fun to use and would be versatile and tough to master. Where's the catch? Sucky health/damage/stun?

I won't be touching chun, because I never liked her mechanics or her design, and I'm already sick of seeing every second player on 3S videos using her. I prefer a challenge and prefer to pick based on character design over tier rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I always loved Akuma before HD Remix killed him off for me. How does he rank in 3S?

He's a solid mid/upper tier character, around where Urien is. He has a handful of bad matchups though because of his low health and stun. He's very fun to use and has a lot of variety, his offense and mixup are good and he has 6 supers XD

Technically 8 Supers.

Didn't Kuroda say that Akuma is the cheapest character in 3S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i thought he had 5 ?
    6?8?

SA1
    SA2
    SA3
    Aerial SA1
    Raging Demon
    KKZ

(aerial sa3 doesn't count imo since it doesn't change animation)

Super 1 (fireball): ground & air
    Super 2 (shoryu): ground only
    Super 3 (tatsu): ground & air
    Raging Demon
    Ground Pound
    %28akumakkz%29.gif
    So 7, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Wish KKZ was his ultra 2 in ssf4.

air does not count as an extra super.
    nerds.jpg

• Advertisement

For SA1 it does since it changes form

Owned kiki + farz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Twelve looks pretty fun. Flying around the screen, dive kick, vary jump in, ranged grabby thingy. Sign me up :p

But Kirby, Necro has stretchy limbs.

And if you turbo mash Punch you get electricity!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

And if you turbo mash Punch you get electricity!

Actually, his electricity is a DP movement and punch. What exactly do you know about 3s kiki? :P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Actually, his electricity is a DP movement and punch. What exactly do you know about 3s kiki? :P
    I don't play chump characters like Oro.

:eek:

Ramza wrote: »
    He's a solid mid/upper tier character, around where Urien is. He has a handful of bad matchups though because of his low health and stun. He's very fun to use and has a lot of variety, his offense and mixup are good and he has 6 supers XD

Yoink. Sounds like a perfect main. Versatile and tricky with a few challenging match-ups. That'll do me.

Many thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I would usually play Remy with a bit of Yang but I'm definitely going to be learning Hugo when this hits, he's just loads of fun and I've done surprisingly well my first couple times playing him.

I don't play chump characters like Oro.

:eek:

Have you played a good oro? I think hes 1 of the main bad matchups for chun and a good oro will seriously **** you up.
    His supers are class, SA2 done properly in unblockable, SA3 juggle is very cool looking. And oro truely has 6 supers.

also he messed up ryu, in the story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYI8wYmcGwk

BTW this game is gonna be 600mb, what happens on XBL if you get disconnected while downloading? does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Chun-Oro is really hard for Oro as far as I know Farz, I think it's his worst matchup. I think Kiki was making a joke anyway cause it was Necro they were discussing, not Oro.

You should be able to just resume the download when you go back online I think, once you've bought a game off XBLA you can re-download it as many times as you want anyway.

Yeah your right, it is bad [looked up srk]. For some reason i thought it was good - i personally always had an easy time against chunli with him and for that exact reason i picked Oro at svb against a french CHUN-li, i did much better than the mirror anyway

this by no means is a backup for my argument but just a really cool video
    hes actually so COOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Not that I know anything about 3S, but according to the eventhubs tier list it's funny you'ld say that Oro's only 2:8 matchup is to his advantage Farz.

Although that same list says the Elena/Oro match-up is 7:6, so who knows what's going on there...

as mentioned above, im just speaking from experience and matches i have seen.
    I'm sure on paper i'm probably way off. Hopefully tables will turn on all accounts when this game is revived on the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

As I mentioned as well, I know NOTHING about the game, I still thought it was funny.

It's totally feasible on a per-player basis that some Oro players are super-comfortable with the Chun match up, or that some Chuns would have no idea how to fight Oro (or that he was even in the game).

Actually, from a complete Street Fighter III experience, would it be worthwhile to play New Generation and Second Impact?

Not for competitive reasons, but for the endings, music, stages etc.

As I mentioned as well, I know NOTHING about the game, I still thought it was funny.

It's totally feasible on a per-player basis that some Oro players are super-comfortable with the Chun match up, or that some Chuns would have no idea how to fight Oro (or that he was even in the game).

Actually, from a complete Street Fighter III experience, would it be worthwhile to play New Generation and Second Impact?

Not for competitive reasons, but for the endings, music, stages etc.

I never cared for storyline but NG AND 2i have some sick music/stages. Better than 3s imo. 3s has better sound effects and voices lol, but I still like to boot it up on emu and play arcade mode now and then

They're not fun in my opinion. Its like playing Alpha 1 after playing Alpha 2/3
    I played New generations in Vegas a month back and it was really slow and ridig, parry active frames seemed like forever too. But the backgrounds were refreshing, i do enjoy the new backgrounds and defo would welcome them in the Online Edition, pretty sure this would be possible but not sure if it is implemented. Would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

3S is superior in most aspects but I definitely prefer the older backgrounds and some of the old music.

3S is superior in most aspects but I definitely prefer the older backgrounds and some of the old music.

There's a DLC option in the menus on one of the preview videos online, and a lot of people have been asking for stages and music from the older sf3 titles on forums. Knowing capcom's penchant for flogging costumes, themes, and the like as aftermarket DLC, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a chance to bolt these on to your game for a few quid soon after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

True but he looks like he requires mad matchup knowledge...and you can't zone properly in 3s so why try :p Twelve looks like he has a couple gimmicks that you can learn in 10 mins and do well against other noobs. I'll try him first.

FFS
    :mad:
    You CAN zone in 3S. The entire game IS ABOUT ZONING.

You just don't use fireballs to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FFS
    :mad:
    You CAN zone in 3S. The entire game IS ABOUT ZONING.

You just don't use fireballs to do it.

Some people think zoning = projectile spam, but indeed, you're correct, that's not true.

Zoning is about putting your opponent into a space where you know your options are superior to his.

Obviously a strong fireball game is great for zoning but it's hardly the only tool.

Advertisement