Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Do you get super meter for parrying fireballs (or anything) like you get Ultra for focusing them in IV?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you get meter from just spamming normals.
    So you get meter for parrying too

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Blinn

Placebo wrote: »

not from lights though. also weirdly i think you do get meter for throwing a blocked fireball, but not for throwing a parried one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That's not that weird, you get extra meter for any blocked attack. You probably still get the meter for performing a special, but if it didn't hit or get blocked then you can't expect to get extra meter.

That's not that weird, you get extra meter for any blocked attack. You probably still get the meter for performing a special, but if it didn't hit or get blocked then you can't expect to get extra meter.

nah you don't get meter for throwing a fireball on its own- if it misses you get nothing- that's what i thought was weird.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »

Meter building in 3S always seemed a bit silly. Anytime there's a bit of space you can just spam a few cr.MK or whatever. I always thought Super SFII Turbo got the meter system just right. Specials built meter, but not enough that you could afford to waste a super, so you had to think very carefully about when to spam special moves and when to burn the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

considering the pace and the system mechanics, i think its necessary the meter builds that way.

Uh, so if I'm understanding the collection of responses correctly

You don't get meter for whiffing light normals
    You do get meter for whiffing medium and heavy normals
    You don't get meter for whiffing projectiles, or having them parried
    You do get meter for whiffing non-projectile specials
    You do get meter for your specials being blocked
    You get meter for blocking (everything?)
    You don't get meter for parrying

That about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Can Someone give me an easy combo with Ken I'm messing around in training mode But can't get anything to combo other than lp,lp type things, god damn you SSFIV and your easy execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Uh, so if I'm understanding the collection of responses correctly

You don't get meter for whiffing light normals
    You do get meter for whiffing medium and heavy normals
    You don't get meter for whiffing specials, or having them parried
    You do get meter for your specials being blocked
    You get meter for blocking (everything?)

That about right?

It's just projectiles, if I whiff a SRK I get the meter on whiff. It's just more on hit I think. Projectiles you get none when it is released, only on hit or block, on parry none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Can Someone give me an easy combo with Ken I'm messing around in training mode But can't get anything to combo other than lp,lp type things, god damn you SSFIV and your easy execution.

cr.mk xx Super

target combo (strong, fierce) into lp shoryu. hit confirm the light shoryu. also, c. lk, c. lk xx super (3), hit confirm that too. congrats you are now a ken player

Ramza wrote: »
    It's just projectiles, if I whiff a SRK I get the meter on whiff. It's just more on hit I think. Projectiles you get none when it is released, only on hit or block, on parry none.

I edited the post you're quoting based on your reply. How does it look now?

Is a parry counted as a whiff as far is the game is concerned for meter building, or are "whiff" "hit" "block" "parry" treated as four separate things?

Both for the parrier and the parryee? (lol English)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Yes I am officially a ken player I was trying to combo into Mp the whole time.So can most characters only combo shorts and jabs ?

I edited the post you're quoting based on your reply. How does it look now?

Is a parry counted as a whiff as far is the game is concerned for meter building, or are "whiff" "hit" "block" "parry" treated as four separate things?

Both for the parrier and the parryee? (lol English)

Yeah I think parrying is just same as whiff, a parried normal (medium or heavy), or non projectile special will give meter on whiff and parry so I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes I am officially a ken player I was trying to combo into Mp the whole time.So can most characters only combo shorts and jabs ?
    Most combos in SF3 are just target-combos or Jabs/Shorts into special/super.

There are also a very short selection of link combos (IIRC Yun has some).
    The rest is zoning with single hits & getting throws.

Blinn wrote: »
    target combo (strong, fierce) into lp shoryu. hit confirm the light shoryu. also, c. lk, c. lk xx super (3), hit confirm that too. congrats you are now a ken player

From messing round in training earlier, special cancels are easy too. You can stick a fireball or a DP in front of ken's SA1 and SA3 for sure (didn't try his SA2) and cancel after the first hit, so you can get jumping whatever (optional), standing fierce, XX fierce SRK, XX super for like 12 or 13 hits.

Jumping anything, cr.MK XX super is a good B&B combo if you get a jump in opportunity, and it's fairly easy to pull off. It was the one Daigo used to KO Justin Wong at evo 04 after parrying chun li's full super.

I like the execution barrier on this game, it feels just right. Decent input windows, not too small but not too big either. Next I have to learn all the wierd characters. 1 player mode here I come :-(

From messing round in training earlier, special cancels are easy too. You can stick a fireball or a DP in front of ken's SA1 and SA3 for sure (didn't try his SA2) and cancel after the first hit, so you can get jumping whatever (optional), standing fierce, XX fierce SRK, XX super for like 12 or 13 hits.

Jumping anything, cr.MK XX super is a good B&B combo if you get a jump in opportunity, and it's fairly easy to pull off. It was the one Daigo used to KO Justin Wong at evo 04 after parrying chun li's full super.

I like the execution barrier on this game, it feels just right. Decent input windows, not too small but not too big either. Next I have to learn all the wierd characters. 1 player mode here I come :-(
    Technically, Daigo's combo is SLIGHLY different.

There are 2 different jumping attacks - 1 for neutral jump and 1 for jump toward/away.
    If you air-parry, your next attack will ALWAYS be a jump toward attack (even if you're neutral jumping).

So Daigo's full combo was (air-parry) jt.HK, cr.MK, h.SRKxxSA3.
    Apparently a m.SRK does more damage though.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Daigo's combo was j.HK, cr.mk xx strong srk xx super

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It was a neutral jump as well not a jump towards

• Advertisement

did you guys miss the part where I explained why Daigo's neutral-jump HK animation turns into jt.HK animation?

Dicks.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    did you guys miss the part where I explained why Daigo's neutral-jump HK animation turns into jt.HK animation?

Dicks.

Did you miss the part where I played 3s a lot longer than you and already know this? :pac:

Thanks, you're right, I totally missed the SRK cancel. Was only watching the video in my memory when I was posting :-)

Looks like Akuma is gonna be my dood in this. Have just spent ages messing with all the shotos and he's definitely the best for my play style, very versatile and excellent zoning. I just hope his health/stun don't totally suck. It looks to me like his SA1 offers the best range of zoning options and is the most versatile for away, up close, and in the air use. Would I be right?

Ya got it all right just don't use super's for zoning, just use his regular and especially his air fireball you can set up some nasty stuff using it. Only super when you confirm it in combos etc, off a parry.

Plus he has no ex moves so demon is useful too if you want to save for it, a lot of Akuma players do that.

His down + mk from a jump is sick,great pressure tool and his demon flip is scary

Check out Jiro for some high level Akuma play, best akuma outside of Kuroda imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You aren't gonna get far in 3s with the mindset of thinking about zoning that much. His SA1 is his best but mostly because it's his best for hitconfirms (hitconfirm into super is the core of 3s). It's alright using it in the air for gimmicks sometimes, using it long range won't get you far unless it's a red fireball xx super chip attempt on occasion.

Thanks, you're right, I totally missed the SRK cancel. Was only watching the video in my memory when I was posting :-)

Looks like Akuma is gonna be my dood in this. Have just spent ages messing with all the shotos and he's definitely the best for my play style, very versatile and excellent zoning. I just hope his health/stun don't totally suck. It looks to me like his SA1 offers the best range of zoning options and is the most versatile for away, up close, and in the air use. Would I be right?
    Akuma SA1 is the most widely-picked Super, yes.

However, his health/stun truly suck (Makoto can do a relatively easy 100% stun with SA2 if you let her)

Watch lots of 3S vids & subscribe to TheShend; they'll help you get up to speed on some of the cool stuff that's in this game:

@Ramza: great for you.

Bloody hell, hivemind.

Ramza wrote: »
    Ya got it all right just don't use super's for zoning, just use his regular and especially his air fireball you can set up some nasty stuff using it. Only super when you confirm it in combos etc, off a parry.]

I was more thinking of the level of threat that he poses from anywhere inside cr.MK range with meter for SA1, or in the air in a 50/50 situation, rather than just throwing it out randomly. I was messing around with him last night and was connecting the super off of fairly decent range footsie pokes. As an opponent who was up against that I'd be very careful of going anywhere near him with meter.

Re the air FB, yes it's absolutely GDLK, one of the best versions of it I've seen. It's amazing for controlling space and covering your jumps. It's almost an unfair advantage. It's a way of limiting your opponent's movement options that nobody else in the game has got. Am looking forward to learning all kinds of annoying setups off of it.

• Advertisement

Did you guys see these:
    Is Gill playable, in any form, on online modes? — Matt

Svensson: Gill can still be played in player matches/spectator rooms that do not have him flagged as a banned character.

Can you set light punch and light kick to one button so you can throw with one button? — Harry

Svensson: Unfortunately, there is no way to map multiple buttons to a single button with SF3:OE.

You need to press both buttons to throw.

Seems to be like that'll be pretty bad for pad players, not being able to bind buttons.

Also if you have the ability to ban whatever characters you want in your rooms, I imagine there's going to be a lot of "No Gill/Yun/Chun/Ken" rooms.

Poor Ramza :eek:

Advertisement