Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Try to fix this retarded matchup:
    Retarded tier
    Makoto, 1.5-8.5: Q is terribly disadvantaged at all times
    A single move of hers, the karakusa, beats literally everything you can do on wakeup, including blocking, parrying, poking, and random supering. Even if you jump or backdash, she recovers before you can hit her on the way down and before you’re done dashing, and if she was right next to you as you woke up her grab has enough range to catch you if you dash back. You have zero options on wakeup. Zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This seems to be too much the cult entry in the street fighter series.

I imagine any attempt at balances changes would results in 100% bile and rage from the fanbase.

I'm not even sure I see how this announcement affects this community at all. The link seems to suggest it as being a download title but it seems like disc games are a lot easier for us to get running.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Blinn

ix9D3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ramza everyone knows the game is broken. [lets build meters in seconds]
    that makoto combo is not hard.

[urien] learning to parry a move is hardly an answer.
    If anything, make Genei Jin meter longer
    even with any attributes you mentioned to this, i think this is absolutely ridiculous.

i think your defending the game too much, we all love it [and that we did because it was the only latest street fighter installment with readily available online play] but its not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Placebo wrote: »
    ramza everyone knows the game is broken. [lets build meters in seconds]
    that makoto combo is not hard.

[urien] learning to parry a move is hardly an answer.

Well tbh the characters which you yourself named as broken only benefit from whiffing normals imho

yeah ok, kara fugigake isn't hard, then dash under reverse fugigake :rolleyes: im awaiting our next game when you do it 100% on me

i don't know what the last part means but, parrying is the answer? to escape the unblockable i mean

no game is perfect, every game has its quirks. 3s is just as good as the next

Edit : farz you misread my post, i said make genei jin meter longer so its harder to build it up :pac: but make it deplete at same rate

am defending nothing, im giving common sense answers to points that i don't agree with. in my first post i even mentioned some **** which is a little OP

All I'm saying is like, in essence, the game doesn't need to be completely rebalanced. Changing a few things wont work, trust me. It's a different case if a game is in it's first stages or is only new etc, but 3rd Strike has been out 11 years. It's accepted by now. If the game was as broken as you claim do you think maybe some action would of been taken? Who knows. All I'm saying is the game is as it stands and I think it should be left alone, like all established games. It doesn't need it, an entire 100% rebalance wont work. When you try to please people you always let down others. There's always going to be negative response. Best way Capcom can save time and money is to not bother with a rebalance (which I hope they do).

I'm talking from a practical point of view. I hope you don't see this as a personal vendetta farz so sorry if I come across as blunt but that's me. My mindset is like, oh, why not rebalance all the alpha games while we are at it, for example. Typical response is "those games are not played anymore/dead//old/they not hugely broken". So why is 3s any different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i accept the differences,
    im not saying im practical at the mokoto combo but ive seen mokoto players pull it off at a constant basis.

I just think a lot of people were afriad to pick up the game because they were easily dominated by average to good players. That cant be said for sf4.

However saying all of that i dont think your point of 'why the game was not balanced before' is a relevant point. Arcades previously may not have had patch functionality, even if that was the case, ps2/xbox/dream cast didnt not have patchable capabilities. Capcom did not listen to their 'fans' back then AND the game only reached its full potential/hype years after its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Just buff up the weaker, lesser used characters. No one can complain then, as long as they're actual buffs (HD Fei's chicken wing = BS)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Wow, that elena cosplay girl is a godess! (hope she's not shopped like farz's samples)

On a related note

Looking forward to third strike online edition only if they rebalance a bit

All points taken into consideration farz :)

And yeah in my first post that's how I mean, that makoto combo is hard but the top players got it down to a tee.

the real question is if capcom did take the time to completely rebalance 3s, do you reckon it would reunite it? i mean did sirlin's HDR bring back st? i actually don't know. i don't think capcom would do well to rebalance it but it's just my opinion

And like I said in my 1st post, I agree with the whole chun yun thing. **** them characters. i play yun myself as sub but that nigga is too OP

animaX wrote: »

Looking forward to third strike online edition only if they rebalance a bit
    ah sure Terry you'd hate it then, no top tier to whore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I pick Ken!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    All points taken into consideration farz :)

And yeah in my first post that's how I mean, that makoto combo is hard but the top players got it down to a tee.

the real question is if capcom did take the time to completely rebalance 3s, do you reckon it would reunite it? i mean did sirlin's HDR bring back st? i actually don't know. i don't think capcom would do well to rebalance it but it's just my opinion

Well, take me for example.

Came back into the fold with 4. Was quite enjoying 3S until I played you and Tin.

Unblockables? Bull ****.

1 Hit kill combos? Bull ****.

I shouldn't have to be a master at parrying to start enjoying the game. I shouldn't have to spend an entire round zoning a character out or I automatically die.

Why would someone like me bother learning 3S when that is my initial experience with the game, as would be any other new people? Why would they come away from 4 with it's level playing field?

Bear in mind that'd I'd be waaay more "play to win" than the average new person to pick the game up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well, take me for example.

Came back into the fold with 4. Was quite enjoying 3S until I played you and Tin.

Unblockables? Bull ****.

I shouldn't have to be a master at parrying to start enjoying the game. I shouldn't have to spend an entire round zoning a character out or I automatically die.

Why would someone like me bother learning 3S when that is my initial experience with the game, as would be any other new people? Why would they come away from 4 with it's level playing field?

Bear in mind that'd I'd be waaay more "play to win" than the average new person to pick the game up.

SF II has lots of ToD combos that are generally far easier to do than the few 100% combos in 3S.

Still not a fan of the game though and won't be spending any money on this version of it.

I don't feel quite as strongly about it as you Doom, but that's pretty much my opinion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SF II has lots of ToD combos that are generally far easier to do than the few 100% combos in 3S.

Still not a fan of the game though and won't be spending any money on this version of it.

I don't think I've ever seen a single 100% combo in a tournament (Zangief tricks not-withstanding)

yup but we're not talking about SF2, Ramza was wondering if balancing would bring 3S back to life.

I don't put any serious time into any SF2 game either.

EDIT: As I said about insta dizzies, I have also never ever had a ToD combo done on me on an SF2 game, and I have spent thousands of hours playing them. I have in 3s and I've spent maybe 2 hours playing that.

ST may not be back but HDR is relevant now. It was at Evo and I heard its at SVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I don't want a rebalanced version, and I play Alex ffs.

GorySnake wrote: »
    ST may not be back but HDR is relevant now. It was at Evo and I heard its at SVB.

Nah man, unless it's at inferno it's not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Nah man, unless it's at inferno it's not important.

ST is at DoC (We have a belt ffs) and assuming all goes well with Inferno 11, we could very well see ST/HDR at Inferno 12.

Diversifying Inferno will be good, spread the focus to other games, even if its another SF.

• Advertisement

Uh... I was joking?

Like, inferno is more important than evo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

GorySnake wrote: »
    Diversifying Inferno will be good, spread the focus to other games, even if its another SF.

That was the point of DoC. It was to diversify the games played within the community. I've mentioned it and I would like to add games but it won't be easy and SSF4 has to take the focus as that's what most people play. Other games just don't have the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Since I've only ever played the XBox port, it'll be nice to super-jump without triggering massive slowdown. And since The Man clearly doesn't want me to play as Elena in the SFIV series, this'll have to do me. Mullet Smush!!!

Here's my favourite 3rd strike youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Y_t8ND4z4

Blinn wrote: »
    Here's my favourite 3rd strike youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Y_t8ND4z4

Maybe I don't get it because I don't play 3S, but that felt like one of the worst wastes of 90 seconds I've ever experienced.

"LOL i am beter tahn u and ur crap scrub lol"

Maybe I don't get it because I don't play 3S, but that felt like one of the worst wastes of 90 seconds I've ever experienced.

"LOL i am beter tahn u and ur crap scrub lol"

It's tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic/flippant

Unblockables? Bull ****.

Setting up an unblockable and executing it isn't an easy task. Since it's a reset and it wastes super meter it does a good but of damage yeah, but you can parry it. And it doesn't take long to learn the timing. Dreddy is playing not long now and he can hit it like nobodies business.

Makoto has true ToD comos on Remy and Akuma as far as I know. Because they have atrocious stun and health values. They're just ****ing horrible match ups.

Well that is Remy/Guile's playstyle :pac: Zoning Urien is a piece of piss. You can lock down all of his options pretty easily if you can get him where you want him. His defense is terrible and his only saving grace is that high stamina value. If Urien rightfully gets in your face (which against good players is very hard to do), he deserves to wreck **** up. That's how patient and careful play is awarded

All points taken into consideration DooM. Can see where you are coming from. AFAIK 3s never had much acclaim as did SF2/SFA. Also, 3s is that kind of game, playing against players of much higher calibre is a ****ing nightmare. You really know where you stand with that game. To honestly learn the game you need to play at your own pace and play with people of same skill. That's one thing I definitely noticed about it. I don't think it's fair to say 3s isn't a level playing field. Heck saying any FG has a level playing field, "ala" SF4, would be madness :pac:

You'll have way more fun playing people that are new to the game too or even on same skill level. For example, when I played Tin while he was here, even though he walked all over me we still both knew the game very well and we had some really, really intense games. Even though he is on another level above me I still was able to hold my own, but not very well. :pac: Probably the most enlightening moment I've had in my life regarding FG was 3s with Tin.

As far as being a master of parrying to enjoy the game, that is total nonsense. Your initial experience was against me or Tin so it's moot point DooM. You get me?

I'll be honest and say that a part of me feels that the people who don't play the game's opinions I don't really take into full consideration. And I don't tbh because a lot of info tends to get misunderstood.

Like I said pages back, do you guys realise what you're saying. You want them to re balance a stun combo? That's ridiculous imo. You have to understand that the true 100% stun combos you need two meters for and insane execution to do. It's a waste on the normal cast. It's not as linear as SF2. Also, I'm all for an online revamp of 3s, as it would allow people ease of play and also would set off new players on the same level. Like I said earlier playing people who are clearly better than you at the game is a nightmare in 3s.

Ramza wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say that a part of me feels that the people who don't play the game's opinions I don't really take into full consideration. And I don't tbh because a lot of info tends to get misunderstood.

keep a focus on my actual point man- this kind of attitude WILL prevent new people from playing and lead to the games death, imo. This doesn't make me happy. TBH I'll prob put a little time into it to make DoC ect. more fun.

None of what you said above addresses my point. Move XYZ which offends standard fighting game sensibility is difficult to do.

Doesn't help the noob (who is the most likely to be unaware and not defend against said tactic correctly) who is bothering to try the game. They're likely to go "sod this game" and not bother- because it offends their sensibilities.

Yeah, but like I said I feel that learning the game is a hard task because you really need to play people on save wavelength. I used to just play on my own untill GGPO, then I really levelled up just from playing peoples on my skill level then progressing. I think that's why it's really the black sheep of the series. And like I said a whole new online revamp is awesome for accessibility and new players :)

Hmm I tried my best to address your post. As far as parrying goes it's like, not a must at all unless it's high level play. Which brings us back to the point of playing people who are better at 3s than the player. To be honest DooM the problems you raise are from playing exp players? if you played maybe say people on same level or who are new the game is more fun because it's an even playing field then. Then you learn the art of parry as you progress. It just clicks like a mental thing, trust me. Playing people who are better will drive you insane, you will hate the game lol.

• Advertisement

I kinda enjoy the learning process to a game. No one can pick up a game and go instant pro. Even if you're great at one Street Fighter game, fundamentals may pass over to another but you'll still be learning a new game.

Just yesterday I was getting hammered at Blazblue but learning tips and tricks (and even the fundamentals of BB) was fun

Advertisement