Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Fair enough the system itself is amazing. trials and arcade mode is perfect (they even got the whole difficulty down. set it down to one. the cpus will still body you because games back then were hard)
    But the online edition thing is what i want but its coming back terrible.

from what i've heard the ps3 version is running perfect and fine yet there are alot of kinks with the xbox version so i hear.
    either that or 3so is like "no i don't like your internet **** you"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Everybody:
    TBH I think your main problem is that you're expecting a good online experience in a fighting game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @Everybody:
    TBH I think your main problem is that you're expecting a good online experience in a fighting game :pac:

I'm not that naive to expect a constant good experience, but I was expecting it to at least work.

Ranked has stopped working for me completely. I wait for 3+ minutes and get the error message EVERY time.

What good is an arcade perfect port with GGPO if I can't play it? They need to patch this thing, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Need to remove my fear of parrying

Yeah that would prob scare a lot of people. Getting parried ain't the end of the world (unless you playing a sa1 Hugo, then you are in for pain)

In fact some people can punish parries (Hugo sa1 again) wish I could give ya more info on it but all I play is hugo

But on the OMG THE GAME IS BROKEN, only match making is. That is not ggpos fault. Blame capcom not them for implementing it wrong. GGPO was a god send on pc (still is for marvel vs capcom), but I degress, it will not fix your Internet. It needs a good upload connection (not sure if the ports still need to be opened on xbox live, look on the ggpo site for them)

But yeah it needs to take ping into account when searching for a game then it would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Would matchmaking system differ slightly with GGPO? i.e does it get p2p at some stage after going through the xbox servers? If thats the case then maybe port are to blame. However i have my xbox on a static ip and have set it as/on DMZ which means it bypasses all ports/firewalls and it still takes me 5 minutes to find a match.

I know its been stated they are altering how it works but strange why Ramza can find a match, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Placebo wrote: »
    I know its been stated they are altering how it works but strange why Ramza can find a match, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Ramzas copy was given to him by the devil himself:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ahhhhh , 3s and Dues Ex on the same weekend. I am a happy gamer. :D

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    It's Fubarback, a bunch of vet 3s players, and a Japanese grandmaster 3s player who's with Fubarduck who are reporting problems, and they're using the lagless setup they used for the SBO qualifiers.

imo the problem is mostly likely due to the PS3 usb input delay (affects all games, this is the reason why PS3 on SF4 has 2 frames of input delay as well).

And afaik Uber the PS3 HDR problems were to do with reversals not coming out sometimes, which definitely makes the game tournament unplayable, but isn't nearly as bad as people not being able to do fireballs.

So far I've only played on my plasma TV which I imagine is laggy anyway so I'm not sure. I did notice a little delay alright playing arcade. Put it all down to the TV though.

J0hnick wrote: »
    Game is ****ing awesome, I forgot how much I loved it (wipes tear from eye) :P

Only issues Ive had are with replays not playing back exactly how the match turned out. I beat a guy earlier and finished him in the 2nd round with an unblockable Denjin setup, but in the replay my Ryu threw out a regular Hadouken, this wasnt enough to kill him and after it hit we both just stood there till the time ran out :confused:

May be a GGPO thing, I remember that back when I played on PC.
    It's embarrassing to see how bad my inputs are without the SF4 shortcuts.

I am failing double-fireball motions all over the place.

I'm like that too when I play 3s on stick. On pad though I'm grand.
    ogiekeaney wrote: »
    ok this may sound weird but has anyone else played invisible players on ranked?

the character was just not there but when i checked back in replay he was.:confused:. i won the match anyway

GGPO glitch. You may even have rounds where it says "KO" even though the rounds not ended.
    Monkeyto wrote: »
    Today the ranked battles seem much better on the ps3. And because I'm able to get games, I'm now finding this game to be very fun.

I'm using Ryu, never used Ryu before, but in this one the Denjin Fireball is too cool to turn down.

My main problem with the game so far is how impossible it has been for me to actually GET a game going. I just wanna boot up the game and instantly play someone online but NoooooooooOOOOOOoooooo. Player match I have to join a lobby with 5 other people and watch others play before I can get a game, fuck that says I. Ranked....can't connect 70% of the time. And if I do, its just one round and its over. I try hosting a game with 6 private slots so 1 person can join and we can have a session but no one joins.

By the time I get a game going I'm already pissed off at how long its been trying to get one.

So far the only ways I've gotten a game was when some random guy on my friends list invited me. And when I beat a guy in ranked, I invited him to a player match session afterwards.

PS3 3s players, add me. Sisko-ire (just note your from the FG scene as I get random friends invites all the time from randomers for some reason :S )

My one complaint is that I want to remove those dam award things at side. They are so annoying.....

Slap it on widescreen mode and you'll be grand.

I want the original main menu music back, I hear you can unlock it. "Get it on now, choose and pick the best one, get it on now, 5 4 3 2 1" awwwwww yeah.

Man I love 3s.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yo Sisko, you gonna hang around? :D

Could do with recordery help!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Sisko wrote: »
    PS3 3s players, add me. Sisko-ire.

YES!

Yo Sisko, you gonna hang around? :D

Could do with recordery help!

Can't say I'll be as active in the scene in person as I'd like to be anytime soon for sure, unfortunately. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sisko, come into XGC sometime.
    Or show for Day of Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

10 on leaderboards and 3rd with Urien overall. Get owned

Aint lost a game in two days, when is ranked gonna get better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ramza wrote: »
    10 on leaderboards and 3rd with Urien overall. Get owned

Aint lost a game in two days, when is ranked gonna get better

BEAST

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Delv3r

Placebo wrote: »
    Some problems

-All youtube videos go to the same channel, tagging feature needs to be more elaborated. Will be hard to search videos
    -Quality is awful, that goes without saying
    -Ranking match making doesnt work, should be able to create matches for your own continent
    -Searching for player matches should have continent query as well, should show people countries !
    -Searching replays doesnt work yet either
    -lots of bugs, long wait times in lobbies sometimes, random crashes, color swap glitch i found etc etc

I guess if they fix the glitches and ranked, it should be 99.9% perfection

Long quote but yeah... all of this. After trying SF3 online, I'm really beginning to appreciate SSFIV's online system.

It's just not fun to find a match in this game, the only thing I can do to play online is create a Tournament match. For some reason they fill out quickly and tend to have a decent connection during the fight.

I'm going to have to start finding Irish players who want to fight online pretty consitently on 360...

...because playing this game online, and this is just my personal (but completely accurate) opinion, is complete @$$

XBL tag: SiltyOrangutan

The best online system was 2DF and GGPO aka a lobby system some coders made on PC to work with emulators.

Everyone who wanted to play was there, you could chat to them all. Challenge them and play instantly, for as long as you both like. Full communication. You wanna play someone whos brilliant at the game? Ask. You wanna play someone whos new? Ask.

Was so much better.

You really gotta depend on friends lists on the consoles.

Sisko, come into XGC sometime.
    Or show for Day of Champions.

Fear not, you've not seen the last of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

So this guy played my nephew who I was showing the ropes and taunted him.

So I decided to play the next match.

And a few more besides. ein zwei drei.

I think unless the quality gets un****tyised I'll be back to using a point and shoot ghetto copying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Delv3r

Nice parry into super at 0:26

Multiplayer---> Challenges---> Expert---> Troll Hard LOL! 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Nice. Hopefully I'll be able to pull some parries off eventually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You guys having a bad time playing online should try and make it in to the Dublin casuals if you're anywhere nearby. Tons of players learning 3s at the moment at casuals as well as experienced players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Voa wrote: »
    Nice. Hopefully I'll be able to pull some parries off eventually :P

"Parry that throw!" - Joe

• Advertisement

I honestly don't get the hate.

There is a lot of online forum hate going on at the moment allright. I'm still hopeful that capcom will take note and that a patch will sort it out, but it unquestionably does need work. I think a lot of the hate is out of disappointment though. There was a huge amount of hope and excitement for this release among a very excited community. Even among SF fans, 3S players are the hardest of the hardcore. They were promised a lot in terms of a real fan service version of their classic, and the most important part of that, the online experience, has been a letdown so far. Gripes are only to be expected.

I'd prefer to give constructive criticism than just hating on a game though. I'm reserving my full list of complaints for a post on SRK or Capcom Unity in a while once I've played a bit more, in the hope that someone in Capcom will actually look there for feedback.
    Attlee wrote: »
    in GGPO you could see the other player's ping and location which meant that you could get the good quality connection GGPO needs to work well. Here you either wait 5 minutes for a terrible connection in the ranked games mode or go lobby hopping in the player match mode trying to find a lobby with a good connection.....The traffic light ping rating is very ambiguous and unhelpful

Agreed, for me this is the single biggest issue with it. The netcode is OK on a good connection, but it really needs a better thought out set of matchmaking options. What's the point in having ggpo to facilitate good gameplay if you can never find a match or identify a lobby worth dropping into? What's wrong with giving us a country flag and a proper ping measurement in ms instead of that bullsh1t traffic light system?

I know that i play OK on a connection anywhere below 60-80 ms, and i avoid anything over 100, so in games with proper ping stats i can just look for that number, but in 3SOE when i see a green or an orange lobby, i still have no idea what kind of room I'm dropping into or where it's hosted.
    @Everybody:

That's not true. There's every reason to expect it to work. Capcom have made online fighting games that work well before. They've come up with really good systems in various different games. Why not just combine the most popular aspects of them all in one definitive system and use that for all their games instead of trying to re-invent the wheel every time? I think they should have stuck with the system they used in HD remix, and maybe just added country flags and region searches from SF4. HDR is still the best matchmaking and netcode I've seen in any console fighter, including the ones with GGPO.
    Rob2D wrote: »
    What good is an arcade perfect port with GGPO if I can't play it? They need to patch this thing, fast.

That pretty much sums up all the major gripes i have so far about this thing in a couple of sentences. Well said. Unless they take note and get cracking on a patch in a hurry, the vast majority of the casual player base will just get tired of constantly looking for matches and move on to the next big title.

Looks like capcom are working on patching it already. One patch to fix bugs is slated for soon, and there is talk of more patches to come.

Encouraging news....

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/08/26/sf3:_online_edition_patch_news

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/08/25/street_fighter_3:_online_edition_news

does anybody know where i could find some info on yang in third strike i checked srks third strike info and theres next to nothing on him and pages of ryu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Try this: http://neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2344

Not sure if there's much content but some links in there i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

does anybody know where i could find some info on yang in third strike i checked srks third strike info and theres next to nothing on him and pages of ryu

Yeah they are redoing the 3s part of the wiki

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/may/11/yang-street-fighter-3-third-strike-character-guide/

That has some ok data

Thanks lads much appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Tried this again. Got matched with someone in france around 12 ranks higher than me and lagging all over the place.
    I was hyped for this game seriously. Was hoping to get good by playing people of my level because you know...its in the games name...online edition.
    Instead i get terrible matchmaking and terrible lag(probably an xbox thing). I can't play like this and everyone else here that plays third strike will constantly wreck my ****
    thank you blinn
    Not mad. Disappointed
    Also if i tried to match with someone i get one game and will never find another. Have to exit the game if i want to find another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    Tried this again. Got matched with someone in france around 12 ranks higher than me and lagging all over the place.
    I was hyped for this game seriously. Was hoping to get good by playing people of my level because you know...its in the games name...online edition.
    Instead i get terrible matchmaking and terrible lag(probably an xbox thing). I can't play like this and everyone else here that plays third strike will constantly wreck my ****
    thank you blinn
    Not mad. Disappointed
    Also if i tried to match with someone i get one game and will never find another. Have to exit the game if i want to find another

Pop onto IRC then, theres at least 1 lobby going every night for it.
    Once you're connecting to someone in Ireland its pretty much lagless.
    Less moaning, more playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    everyone else here that plays third strike will constantly wreck my ****
    thank you blinn
    Would you rather just have a bunch of people who don't have a clue about the game so you can beat on them for a while and then not really get any better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I really don't get moaning about how there are players near you who really like the game and are constantly trying to get others to play it.

Advertisement