Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So is it possible for people to actually discuss 3rd Strike politely? Because I really don't want to have to start banning people after 3 years of peace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If you knew anything about our scene you would know I have mained hugo for 2 years now. And I am always in IRC annoying people by asking "anyone for 3S??? "

What the hell dude? Kirby has been in the scene for approx 2 years more than you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

So is it possible for people to actually discuss 3rd Strike politely? Because I really don't want to have to start banning people after 3 years of peace :D
    Of course 3S will work people up and cause heated discussions. I mean, you know what they say: 3rd Strike is what counts. And you can get it too, don't think that I can't knock you out. Out. Out. Knock knock you out. Out. Knock knock knock knock you out. Out. Out. Knock knock you out. Don't think that I can't knock you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

successful-black-man-meme-generator-i-can-knock-you-out-of-this-spelling-bee-if-you-dont-behave-properly-529f59.jpg

killed a bird with 2 stones there. Dedicated to Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Vyze wrote: »
    Of course 3S will work people up and cause heated discussions. I mean, you know what they say: 3rd Strike is what counts. And you can get it too, don't think that I can't knock you out. Out. Out. Knock knock you out. Out. Knock knock knock knock you out. Out. Out. Knock knock you out. Don't think that I can't knock you out.

I can't find in my Vault where I can unlock the original nonremixed Vyze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Hell look at how Simon performs at Tekken and did he even have anybody to practise with?

To an extent execution and gamesense can be learned just on your own with no partner really, not to put down Simon at all, I can relate since I am/was somewhat the same with a lot of games (GG and 3s to be specific :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    If you knew anything about our scene you would know I have mained hugo for 2 years now. And I am always in IRC annoying people by asking "anyone for 3S??? "

What the hell dude? Kirby has been in the scene for approx 2 years more than you lol

Once again I am sorry about this post. I will never post drunk again. If a mod would like to remove it, please do. I think I got emotional at all the 3S hate I was reading

Lets just all move on, everyone drunk posts every once in a while. It's no biggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

I had some great games with Sisko last nite we had a bit of trouble with a lobby but after that we were sorted. He kept using the same strategy till i learned how to deal with it then he would switch it up. I found it to be very helpful and he even let me win a few :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

:o Btw I think you were the first player in Ireland I've played so far but we still had a red connection :(

Have you put your ps3 in a DMZ or forwarded the ports? It should help.

Also I never let you win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Online is what counts and if your not doing repeated headstomp mixups with alex your doing it wrong anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Hell look at how Simon performs at Tekken and did he even have anybody to practise with?

I always wondered how he got so good given that nobody plays Tekken, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

GGs to Daltronica last night in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

First off, “Color Pack 1” will be launching next week, on September 6th/7th. The price for this is $2.99, and buying this one pack will add 7 new colors for each character! The colors are available in pretty much all modes, but can’t be seen by people who haven’t purchased the DLC. (Also, we weren’t able to save the color palettes in replay files, so please be aware of that.)

In addition to “Color Pack 1” (and future color packs), we’re proud to announce several other DLC offerings today, which should be showing up in the next month or so.
    http://www.eventhubs.com/

###HOLY ****

ALTHOUGH
    The colors are available in pretty much all modes, but can’t be seen by people who haven’t purchased the DLC. (Also, we weren’t able to save the color palettes in replay files, so please be aware of that.)

thats kinda ****, just like the pallette mod for 3s rom, only you could see it? hmmmmm. Still something though, keeping the game alive

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Sisko wrote: »
    Have you put your ps3 in a DMZ or forwarded the ports? It should help.

I have no idea how to do either of those would you care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Back in the day on 2df we could download colour swaps and see them in replays... c'mon capcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kaiser Hugo

Capcom Vs SNK 2 had a palette editor that let you customise nearly every colour on a character model and give your creation a name. It was great playing online and seeing all the different things people had come up with. Now 8 years later I am expected to pay 3 euros for palette swaps? 3rd Strike is such a great game, I feel it should be above such nonsense. I can already see interest in this game waning as people get fed up with the matchmaking system, I think the damage has already been done - a lot of those players won't be coming back. So while the key selling feature of the game, its online mode, is completely borked Capcom are focusing on this nonsense. All the prehype about this game was about how they were going to treat the game with respect but they have done the complete opposite. The last thing I want associated with 3rd Strike is rubbish like this.

....I can already see interest in this game waning as people get fed up with the matchmaking system, I think the damage has already been done - a lot of those players won't be coming back

I have to agree. Unfortunately, i fit more into the "casual player" bracket now than the "hardcore" one, as i just don't have enough time in my life to give to video games any more to stay frosty, and I'm finding myself less and less interested in this game due to the complete b*ll*cks thats going on online. Unfortunately it just doesn't represent good value for my limited gaming time.

I might have a couple of hours (at most) of an evening to play a few games, and i just don't enjoy spending that time searching for lobbies and ranked matches, only to eventually get a really poor laggy experience and frustrating gameplay. I look at the slew of great releases coming down the line in the next few months, and i really can't imagine anyone but the hardcore sticking with this game.

The issues in matchmaking should have been the focus of a week one patch. Instead we get crappy resolution youtube streaming and selling us pallette swops by DLC? Shame.

The issues in matchmaking should have been the focus of a week one patch. Instead we get crappy resolution youtube streaming and selling us pallette swops by DLC? Shame.

This sort of ignorance surrounding game publishing is a pet peeve of mine.

Feature release =/= Bug fixes.

It is very likely that all the DLC has already been done and dusted and in Microsoft's system for release a while ago.

Having a dude at Microsoft flip a switch that releases that publicly on a Wednesday in no way uses the same resources as system engineers and developers at Capcom/Iron Galaxy trying to fix matchmaking issues.

Also, releasing patches costs money, we should be grateful that Capcom clearly work one or two post-release patches into their initial game budget, so we get fixes for stuff like this (and Marvel, and SFIV) that work offline and allow us to have offline tournaments using patches changes.

It seems Netherrealms didn't do the same budgeting for MK9, and it adds a lot of difficulty to that tournament scene.

All I gonna say is this.

After a hyper frustrating night trying to get match up experience on both SF3 and MvC3, the next person to slag SSF4's online gets laughed out.

• Advertisement

All I gonna say is this.

After a hyper frustrating night trying to get match up experience on both SF3 and MvC3, the next person to slag SSF4's online gets laughed out.
    Can we just slag Capcom's entire implementation of everything?

Can we just slag Capcom's entire implementation of everything?

Well, no. They were relatively fine up til this year.

That said I work in the software industry, I know how easy it is for stuff like this to happen. They do need to rush a patch out for 3S NOWISH though, I think they'll just not bother with MvC's still quite poor online. UMvC has no such excuses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

we should be grateful that Capcom clearly work one or two post-release patches into their initial game budget,

We paid money for the games, they should work. Mvc was broken online and was never fixed. 3s isnt as bad but its still pretty bad and im not that confident they will fix everything.
    Sf4 is great online in my opinion, if it had quick rematch it would be pretty much perfect to me.

Well, no. They were relatively fine up til this year.

That said I work in the software industry, I know how easy it is for stuff like this to happen. They do need to rush a patch out for 3S NOWISH though, I think they'll just not bother with MvC's still quite poor online. UMvC has no such excuses though.
    I mean, like, not having a tutorial mode that teaches new players how to play (from basic things like blocking down to what each character's best anti-air is), being able to wait in training mode when you start a lobby, every game having quick button-config, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

we should be grateful that Capcom...

Capcom should be grateful we buy their stuff.

Or to put it another way, what they sell should be fit for purpose, I don't believe that MvC3 or 3s OE are.

In America people have had class action lawsuits for far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

MvC3 was annoying that some standard features weren't included for online, but to say the game is not fit for purpose is ridiculous.

3S:OE on the other hand is only living up to half of it's name.

In America people have had class action lawsuits for far less.

That's one of the wonderful things about America: Anyone can sue anyone, but the Judges can throw out the cases like this:

This sort of ignorance surrounding game publishing is a pet peeve of mine....Feature release =/= Bug fixes....Also, releasing patches costs money, we should be grateful that Capcom clearly work one or two post-release patches into their initial game budget

We should be grateful? Perhaps we should just take whatever they offer us, give them our money, and be happy, like good little consumers?

It's not ignorance, it's just me wishing that R&D, aftermarket development and fan service were given as much consideration at capcom as marketing, making empty promises, and pushing add-on revenue via DLC were, particularly for a game that's aimed mainly at hardcore fans who probably own 3 versions of the same game already and just wanted to be able to play it online.

I do know the difference (at least from a technical perspective) between DLC and patching/re-coding. Patching, and in particular patching involving network issues on a third party network like XBL is no joke and takes time. I'm sure capcom are working on OE, they may even release a comprehensive patch for it eventually, although from past experience of this kind of thing, my money is on them patching it with a limited networking re-code, and NO new features. Regardless, the fact remains that the only bit of this game i ever gave a flying crap about is the ONLINE part. If i didn't I'd still be playing 3S on any of the multiple versions of it i already own, and wouldn't have bought this version in the first place.

Working online modes, not pallette swops, or stupid flashing stats on the side of the screen, or remixed music, or bad art....just give me gameplay and good matchmaking and netcode and i'm happy. Skimp on all the other crap if you want.

OE was marketed and drip-fed extensively by capcom, as a title that brought a classic into the world of online matchmaking, and so far it has failed to deliver that, and the thing that gets me is that capcom have done the same thing several times before and failed to deliver on promises. It's as if all they really cared about was the intial cash-grab and bleeding more money out of a fan-base that will just keep coming back for more.

Sorry for going off-topic, but as far as capcom goes, this is a sore point with me because i've had the same argument in relation to tons of their games going back over many years, and I've seen the same poor approach from them many times.

Hyper fighting on XBL, anniversary edition on XBL, HD Remix on BOTH psn and xbl, loads of other games, and now 3SOE. It just makes me think they should spend less on marketing and more on delivering on their promises.

(OK, rant over)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'd say what happened with 3sOE was it worked perfectly in the test environments, but once it hit the real world things didn't work as expected.

I've been on the dev end of things for games where this has happened and i'm sure Capcom are working on it.
    Its pretty painful when you put a lot of work into something and it works fine in test but in real world it breaks and when you read feedback the players are saying it wasn't tested or no real effort was put in to making it work and the company is looking to make a quick buck.

First they'll need to figure out why its broken, how to replicate it in a closed environment for debugging, debug and find fixes, QA those fixes, fix any bugs that arise because of the fix, send to MS for their testing and maybe have it bounced back once as things rarely go through first time then they wait for MS to give it a release slot.
    Most companies have a planned patching period for after a game is released exactly for these issues, so hopefully we'll see something in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2 things:
    You may only complain if there's no patch after 4-6 weeks. I know this is The
    Internet, but give the devs time to troubleshoot. And also, I'm hardcore 3S, yet I've never bought the game (yay ROM piracy :PAC: )

Advertisement