Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

PPC wrote: »
    I'd say what happened with 3sOE was it worked perfectly in the test environments, but once it hit the real world things didn't work as expected.

I've been on the dev end of things for games where this has happened and i'm sure Capcom are working on it.Its pretty painful when you put a lot of work into something and it works fine in test but in real world it breaks and when you read feedback the players are saying it wasn't tested or no real effort was put in to making it work

Ditto, and i agree. This kind of thing happens a lot because of differences between test and dev environments and live ones. I think all the best developers realise that a full beta or the go-live is the only REAL test, and version 1.1 or 1.2 is what they're ultimately working towards. I don't get the sense that that's ever Capcom's plan though. It feels like any reactive patching planned for afterwards is minimal, probably for cost reasons, especially on these kind of back catalogue DLC releases for niche audiences.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You may only complain if there's no patch after 4-6 weeks. I know this is The Internet, but give the devs time to troubleshoot.

Yes, fingers genuinely crossed that they can sort it, niggles about capcom aside, I would really love to have a definitive version of this game with quality matchmaking, but it will probably take time. HD Remix didn't get a bugfix patch for a couple of months after release, but when it did it was fine. There was nothing new feature-wise added to the game, but the patch fixed the big problems, and people were largely happy with it (at least on XBL).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I have no idea how to do either of those would you care to elaborate?

Do you have a router? What broadband are you on?

Long story short most broadband routers have this thing called a NAT on them, this basically blocks incoming connections to certain ports for your PC's protection. Without a NAT your pc is completely naked to the internet and you have to completely rely on your software firewall. Problem is NAT's make online gaming a pain in the arse - so on PC you would 'port forward' ie open up the specific ports needed by the game in the NAT.

With the PS3 though you can just put it in a DMZ meaning the NAT won't stop any connections at all.

Its very easy to do with the Cisco routers that come with UPC for example.

Regarding forwarding your ports, go to www.portforward.com for a step by step guide for how to do it. You're basically letting selected network traffic (just the traffic meant for your console) straight through your router to your machine, with no restrictions or limitations on it's connections.

You need to have a basic grasp of computers but it's not too tough. Read the guide, and most importantly make sure you set your console up to receive a static internal IP address from the router first, so it knows where your console is and the console doesn't move IP addresses if you reset your network.

After that all you've got to know is which port numbers you need to forward for the service you're on(XBL, PSN, etc). A quick google search will get you that, there are 4 or 5 for XBL, should be something similar for ps3. You can set up a DMZ (de-militarized zone) for your console (as mentioned) if you want to, but be aware that this is dropping all security for the machine for the entire Internet, and leaving it wide open outside your firewall, rather than just freeing up a very narrow range of traffic for it. It's not too big an issue as consoles don't get hacked or get viruses(at least not yet) but it IS less secure than forwarding a specific range of ports for a specific service.

Once you've done either option you should see the available number of people you can play against improve and the number of wierd disconnects and mid game issues you encounter drop off significantly.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Thanks lads i will try to set that up as soon as possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/3s-oe-input-lag-testing.144512/
    I did a simple 60fps camcorder input lag test for 3S:OE. Result: both consoles have 4f input delay."
    What does this mean?

It means in the scenario outlined above, Ryu's st.jab takes 4 frames to start animating after button input, on both consoles. It doesn't mean there is no lag or weirdness or bugs anywhere else in the game. I won't speculate on any of that. This is also on a CRT with a known lag-free analog conversion setup and good input devices. If your monitor lags, or your joystick PCB lags, or your cables are violating the laws of the universe, you may experience lag even if the game is working perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74019381&postcount=737

You're over a hundred posts too late on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

Im finding it impossible to like this game.
    It was the same thing when I bought it many moons ago on the Xbox, theres something that just turns me off the game completely.

Not sure what it is, but as a huge fan of every street fighter game I know I should love this game, but I dont. I hate it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kaiser Hugo

Why are you telling us this? I don't like SF4 but I don't feel the need announce that fact in the SF4 thread; I just let them get on with playing the game that they like while I keep going with 3rd Strike. Are you looking for someone to try to convince you otherwise? I know from experience that that's not really possible - I have tried to get friends into 3rd Strike but it doesn't work because it's a game you have to want to get good at, you can't be forced to do so because it takes a big time investment to get good at. Is that a flaw in the game? No - there's enough games out there that are easy to get into. SF3 is great because the designers went all out with the technical aspect of the game. I knew when I started playing 3S back in 2004 that I was very ignorant of its systems but I knew that if I just stuck with it that things would click into place eventually. I didn't feel the need to go around telling people I 'hate' the game because I was humble about wanting to learn how to play it and find out why others liked it so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Why are you telling us this?

I don't like SF4 but I don't feel the need announce that fact in the SF4 thread; I just let them get on with playing the game that they like while I keep going with 3rd Strike.

Are you looking for someone to try to convince you otherwise? I know from experience that that's not really possible - I have tried to get friends into 3rd Strike but it doesn't work because it's a game you have to want to get good at, you can't be forced to do so because it takes a big time investment to get good at. Is that a flaw in the game? No - there's enough games out there that are easy to get into.

SF3 is great because the designers went all out with the technical aspect of the game. I knew when I started playing 3S back in 2004 that I was very ignorant of its systems but I knew that if I just stuck with it that things would click into place eventually. I didn't feel the need to go around telling people I 'hate' the game because I was humble about wanting to learn how to play it and find out why others liked it so much.

I'd be remiss in my job as mod not to point out: Walls of text are difficult to read, a little structure helps :)

This is a discussion forum. People are entitled to their opinions. I'm sorry if you don't agree with his, but he's just as entitled to not enjoy the game as you are to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

You took the words outa my mouth doom.
    He's only voicing an opinion, no need to jump down his throat..its a FORUM
    You need more love in your live kaiser.
    I for one agree with OP.
    The game is hard to get into initially.Hard to explain,Its a different way of thinking than sf4
    I will prevail

Saying you hate something without saying why doesn't exactly add to a discussion. I hate most TV shows so maybe I should go to the TV forum and post 'I hate this show' in every thread just so people know. Opinions (including my own) are ten a penny so if you feel the need to post 'I hate X' in a thread about X at least try to articulate why you don't like something (and there's certainly a lot to dislike about Online Edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

1272938115936.jpg
    alot of hate for sf3, let em.
    LOL at english teacher mod, pointing out a post's structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Saying you hate something without saying why doesn't exactly add to a discussion. I hate most TV shows so maybe I should go to the TV forum and post 'I hate this show' in every thread just so people know. Opinions (including my own) are ten a penny so if you feel the need to post 'I hate X' in a thread about X at least try to articulate why you don't like something (and there's certainly a lot to dislike about Online Edition).

I think most people simply dislike parry, it makes SF3 play like something that isn't really Street Fighter.

Whatever, I enjoy it for what it is.

I think most people simply dislike parry,

it makes SF3 play like something

that isn't really Street Fighter.

Whatever,

I enjoy it

for what it is.

In my experience this usually boils down to 'I can't just spam fireballs all day to win anymore so I don't like it.' Parrying liberates the game from people jumping back, spamming a fireball and then jumping back ad infinitum. That might be fun for those types who just pick Ken/Ryu all the time but it was so dull for everyone else. People still try it online with Akuma though. I don't think I have played one Akuma online who doesn't immediately jump backwards and do an air fireball. Not exactly sure what they hope to achieve with that but it seems hardcoded after years of playing 2/Alpha. 3S is a very different game from 2 but that's what makes it great. Personally I wish they had stuck to their original vision of not including any of the original cast in 3. It's so rare for a sequel to break new ground. That's part of why I don't like 4, it just feels like a retread of old ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

it just feels like a retread of old ideas.

Thats also the reason it was success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I like the part where you can parry a fireball, and then taunt.

Or get hit by it, and taunt anyway.

...It's all good :D

Taking the piss out of the mod. Way to go in making friends.

Removing zoning from Street Fighter does not improve it. Look at AE.

Just because you have been playing people who aren't good enough to control space correctly doesn't mean it's the games fault.

• Advertisement

....Slightly over the top posts....

I admit, I wrote my post while I was fustrated. Its the second time I've bought the game and the second time I've put hours into playing it, yet not enjoying it.

You assume that I play a shoto, when I dont... in any street figher. You also assume that someone who doent like 3rd Strike simply cant transfer their skills from another game instantly and are annoyed, or that they are stupid enough to think a few hours will get them to the same standard as those playing 5+ (even 10) years. To be honest, you assumed a lot from ONE post on boards.

I was actually looking for a discussion so I could maybe pinpoint why I dislike the game, or to see if anyone felt the same. Maybe I was hoping if I found out why the game didnt feel right to me I could work on it and start enjoying it.
    True I should have posted a reason for disliking 3rd strike but I find I have no valid reason... and thats why I posted. As a fan of SF2, all the Alphas, SF4, even the SF ex games. (Heck I even gave Dead or Alive 4 over 200 hours of my life) I find it strange that I cant enjoy SF3.

To be fair, I have been enjoying playing Q the last day or two. I think Im enjoying him because he feels nothing like a street fighter character in a game that doesnt really feel like street fighter :/

Edit: Noone wants to hear me moan about 3rd strike.. I removed my reasons, and will instead either keep playing or stop. Thanks for reading.

SF III rewards you for understanding what your opponent is going to do. This is very like SF II in my opinion.

With SF IV, you can predict what your opponent will do and still eat an auto corrected dp, or get caught will a lucky full ultra and the game goes back to evens.

SF III has problems no doubt, yun is bull**** make no mistake, but it is it's own thing, approach it as that and not as a 2D SF IV and you'll have a better time with it.

Been having a few player matches against a few random guys and to be honest Q is starting to grow on me. Which is weird because I never would have guessed I'd enjoy him.
    Makoto would probably make more sense to me, but as I use her (pretty often actually) in 4 I tend to play the exact same way while in 3rd strike, and as you said above it just doesnt work and leads to fustration.

If anyone is online and playing 3rd strike on xboxlive at this ungodly hour feel free to invite me :)

gt is: Astro Tuned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

>Playing 3S online
    >Not liking 3S

I think I've pin-pointed your problem.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    >Playing 3S online
    >Not liking 3S

I think I've pin-pointed your problem.

This could be a huge part of it ;) Ive close to no offline games except with my neighbour where i have to knock it back a few levels otherwise he gets bored.

Ill hopefully finally make a casual at some point and someone could give me a game or two. I have a feeling Q is lacking as a character but im here to have fun first, level up at a later point.
    Landing the kick version of total destruction makes it all worth it.

btw, you know that q's taunt increases his health....?

Been having a few player matches against a few random guys and to be honest Q is starting to grow on me.

There's a lot to be said for liking a character in a game enough to like the game more.
    I agree that Q is a ton of fun in 3S. If he wasn't in it, I probably wouldn't have warmed to the game at all.

My favourite character in CvS2 was definitely Rugal, who was just a ridiculously stylish giant of a man in a suit with a pet panther and ninja secretaries. He went head-to-head against Akuma in the story as well, with mixed results. And dude has killer theme music (the song is even called "The Lord God", haha, what a magnificent bastard).

I wasn't ever any good with Rugal, but I always had fun playing him.

As far as I know though, Rugal is canonically dead in the KOF storyline, so he won't ever be reappearing as a playable character. That's seriously killed any interest I might have had in KOF12 and 13.

Kaiser Wave or GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I wasn't ever any good with Rugal, but I always had fun playing him.

As far as I know though, Rugal is canonically dead in the KOF storyline, so he won't ever be reappearing as a playable character. That's seriously killed any interest I might have had in KOF12 and 13.

Kaiser Wave or GTFO!

Rugal still appears in the odd 'dream match' titles, games that ignore the running continuity of the KOF series, like KOF '98 and KOF '02. Besides, it's a series dependent on fighting evil spirits et al,
    he could still turn up as undead DLC or whatnot.

I was actually looking for a discussion so I could maybe pinpoint why I dislike the game, or to see if anyone felt the same.

Maybe I was hoping if I found out why the game didnt feel right to me I could work on it and start enjoying it..........I find it strange that I cant enjoy SF3.

I am starting to find it a little difficult to stick with, but i think i know why. I'm not going to rip into it too much, i don't want to drop into a 3S thread and beat up on a game that people in here love, but in the interest of discussion, here's my take on it:

The online bugs and crap matchmaking of THIS port aside (which just makes me feel like I'm just searching for games all day and not getting good value for my gaming time) i think what bothers me about 3S is both the odd character design for most of the roster, and in particular the non-viability of a lot of the cast. I pick my mains based on their character design and move sets. I'm not into tier whoring, and often settle on mid tier mains because i like how they look, feel, and play. In 3S, no matter how good i get with my fave characters, there will always be somebody out there who will hand me crushing defeats with yun or chun or urien or whoever because of imbalances that are inherent in the game and outside my control, and sometimes it feels like unless you pick from the god-tier, you're running to stand stand still in this game.

I'm a fan of very balanced fighters. I knew 3S was not going to be a balanced fighter, but because of it's depth and reputation i wanted to give it a proper try. I was determined to stick with it and keep trying, until about 10 days ago. I had been doing OK in a match against an admittedly better Urien player, made a single mistake involving a jump-in, and missed an air parry of his electro-fireball projectile or whatever it's called. I then got battered to a KO by repeated shoulder charge and ex-shoulder charge juggles and corner aegis reflector combos, and god knows what else, that took a good 60-70% of my lifebar in seconds. It was crushing, but also illuminating.

I'm sure it was a proud moment for the guy on the other end of the connection, and that's nice for him, but for me, it was pretty much the exact point where i went...."ah here...that's enough of that".

It just made me realise that i personally felt like 3S isn't balanced enough for the huge commitment and hundreds of crushing defeats it would take me to learn it well enough to compete at a level I'm used to in lots of other games. Unlike some people, i don't find being a punching bag a learning experience, i just find it frustrating and counterproductive, and not FUN, which is the whole objective of gaming, right?

This is no reflection on 3S, it's just a reflection on 3S for me. Everybody knows the 3S roster is unbalanced. I'm learning from scratch here because of the zany roster, and i know i could go deep and figure out all the strategies for fighting Urien and learn what to do and not do and so on, but that just seems like a frustrating, beatdown-ridden uphill battle when there are other, more enjoyable, more balanced fighters out there to put that kind of effort into. Fighters that I've at least got a running start at in terms of understanding the character set, strengths, weaknesses, spacing, mechanics, etc.

I think it's a good game, with some great mechanics, and i can appreciate the parrying in particular, but as a package it's not for me, or at least not AS for me as some of the other entries in the series (particularly some of the earlier entries) that I'd be happier playing.

• Advertisement

sometimes it feels like unless you pick from the god-tier, you're running to stand stand still in this game......

I had been doing OK in a match against an admittedly better Urien player, made a single mistake involving a jump-in, and missed an air parry of his electro-fireball projectile or whatever it's called. I then got battered to a KO by repeated shoulder charge and ex-shoulder charge juggles and corner aegis reflector combos, and god knows what else, that took a good 60-70% of my lifebar in seconds. It was crushing, but also illuminating.

So you're saying you don't the like tier whores and character imbalance of 3S; but the thing that put you over the edge was losing a Urien mirror?

Logical disconnect :pac:

Advertisement