Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

urien isn't even that good dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    urien isn't even that good dude

Doesn't matter if he was losing to Sean or Gill.

Tiers don't enter into Mirror Matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Cry more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

btw, you know that q's taunt increases his health....?

Oh yeah, the first thing I looked up was "street fighter 3 taunts" because someone mentioned Ken doing more damage after a taunt, I was :confused: taunts... doing stuff??

But yeah, funny how people think your being an awful dick by running and taunting early in the fight, its a blessing though because I get all 3 taunts in while they stand and taunt back/throw fireballs.

Its seriously hard going up against those players who rush in and start a mixup years in the making though, your kinda hoping for any mistake and if one dosent happen your on your back.

I understand where MackDaddi is coming from, I find the dark, moody street vibe a little off putting and the fact this theme ran into the character design was one of the reasons I had posted and then deleted. I'm just gonna play to have fun for the time being.... and watch plenty of Kuroda's Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ramza wrote: »
    Cry more

I'm shocked there was no deal with it gif. Not that I am inviting one.

Also third strike blows. I don't like it, just don't enjoy the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

128720100970295688.jpg

if a picture needs to be posted
    IM THERE

p.s: play people at your own level if you get frustrated easy

Doesn't matter if he was losing to Sean or Gill.

Tiers don't enter into Mirror Matches.
    I'm not into tier whoring, and often settle on mid tier mains because i like how they look, feel, and play. In 3S, no matter how good i get with my fave characters, there will always be somebody out there who will hand me crushing defeats with yun or chun or urien or whoever because of imbalances that are inherent in the game and outside my control, and sometimes it feels like unless you pick from the god-tier, you're running to stand stand still in this game."

Was referring to that bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I love 3s, it is one of my all time fav games. I love SF4 too, but 3s will always have a special place in my heart.

To put it another way, I would ride SF4 but I'd marry 3s.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kaiser Hugo

I admit, I wrote my post while I was fustrated. Its the second time I've bought the game and the second time I've put hours into playing it, yet not enjoying it.

You assume that I play a shoto, when I dont... in any street figher. You also assume that someone who doent like 3rd Strike simply cant transfer their skills from another game instantly and are annoyed, or that they are stupid enough to think a few hours will get them to the same standard as those playing 5+ (even 10) years. To be honest, you assumed a lot from ONE post on boards.

I was actually looking for a discussion so I could maybe pinpoint why I dislike the game, or to see if anyone felt the same. Maybe I was hoping if I found out why the game didnt feel right to me I could work on it and start enjoying it.
    True I should have posted a reason for disliking 3rd strike but I find I have no valid reason... and thats why I posted. As a fan of SF2, all the Alphas, SF4, even the SF ex games. (Heck I even gave Dead or Alive 4 over 200 hours of my life) I find it strange that I cant enjoy SF3.

To be fair, I have been enjoying playing Q the last day or two. I think Im enjoying him because he feels nothing like a street fighter character in a game that doesnt really feel like street fighter :/

Edit: Noone wants to hear me moan about 3rd strike.. I removed my reasons, and will instead either keep playing or stop. Thanks for reading.

Well, in that post about shotos I was talking generally, not about you in particular. Don't take my response personally, I am new here and I come from forums like shoryuken or SA where paragraphs can be long and debates more robust than perhaps they are on boards.ie.

People have been ****ting on SF3 since 1997 because it's not the same as SF2 so I like to stand up for it, that's all. As for character designs, all my favourite characters are in 3. I think Dudley, Makoto and Alex are such well realised characters. If you look at Makoto's idle animation for example you can see that her clothes flutter in the wind but she stays perfectly still - such a great way to sum up a character with a few frames of animation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, in that post about shotos I was talking generally, not about you in particular. Don't take my response personally, I am new here and I come from forums like shoryuken or SA where paragraphs can be long and debates more robust than perhaps they are on boards.ie.

Is that another dig at me?

Paragraphs can be perfectly long on boards. However, if you'd like to check the forum charter, you're not allowed to post in "rtrd" here. One huge lump of unformatted text definitely falls under that.

Now how about you grow up and accept the point I made in the humour I made it instead of turning it into something.

Furthermore, the argument that your used to more robust debate despite the fact you throw the toys out of the pram when someone says "I don't like 3S" doesn't ring true.

Oh, and as for "best character design" I have one word to reply to that:

Remy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Y'all just ain't hardcore enough.

Y'all just ain't hardcore enough.

REMY!!!

Yeah tbh stop being a pussy. If everyone who plays 3s can learn the game why can't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I come from forums like shoryuken or SA where paragraphs can be long and debates more robust than perhaps they are on boards.ie.
    Debates on Shoryuken robust..your having a laugh.
    Haven't gone near it since SF4 began.The forums were great for character specific info but its full of hot headed assholes looking for arguments or "robust debates"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yeah tbh stop being a pussy. If everyone who plays 3s can learn the game why can't you.

I don't know who you are talking to here but some people just don't like it. As it's not people saying they can't learn, just that they don't like it. In the same way that people haven't liked nearly every iteration of a fighting game that's been released.

As I say I don't particularly enjoy 3S but I will give it props for being the most fun game to get bodied in. Generally when playing a game who aren't that fond of and haven't really learned, it sucks when you play someone and they just dominate you. However in 3S the most fun I've had playing it was playing Tin. I don't know if that's because out-levelled me so much that he was able to make it better for me.

Nah I am saying to the people who want to get better... like you can. If you don't like it fair enough. I probably should have elaborated sorry.

So you're saying you don't the like tier whores and character imbalance of 3S; but the thing that put you over the edge was losing a Urien mirror?

Mirror? Oh wait, maybe i should have been clearer. What i meant was, I was playing against a player who was more skilled than i was, who happened to be using urien at the time. I was using akuma. It wasn't a mirror, but despite holding my own in terms of attacks, space, etc, and landing a few decent super cancels and good combos and stuff, i still got reamed for health as soon as i made one mistake. I know a bit about playing for TOD's and looking for one gap for big damage combos that can turn a round around, a lot of characters i play in other games are very focused on that, but even i was shocked with what that Urien did, and how easily he did it. It just changed my view on what it would take to be competitive in 3S from an amount of investment and practice that was reasonable, to one that wasn't. That's all.

I don't know enough about tiers in 3s to speculate on where urien sits in the list, but given akuma's clearly p1ss poor stamina and stun bar, and the insane juggles i was getting hit by, i could tell i had a huge amount of beatdowns coming to me if i was ever going to be competitive in this game with my choice of character, without playing the tiers, and that's just something that doesn't appeal to me in a fighter.

That's
    what put me over the edge on 3S, and before anybody gets defensive, i'm not saying it's something that's a fault with the game, it's just something i personally don't like in a fighter. I like an even playing field where (more or less) the skill of the player is the one big differentiator in a match. There will always be tier imbalances in games, but in 3S it just feels like the choice of character is as big a factor as player skill level, and (for me) that just leads to frustrating matches.
    Orim wrote: »
    I don't know who you are talking to here but some people just don't like it. As it's not people saying they can't learn, just that they don't like it. In the same way that people haven't liked nearly every iteration of a fighting game that's been released

+1 to this. I could learn it, but if i was going to put that amount of effort in to another fighting game, i would pick one that just feels more fun for me, both in terms of a level playing field of better balanced characters, and also in terms of uncomfortable character design and mechanics that takes a lot of what is pretty much instinct to me after playing many street fighter games over 20 years, and chucks it out the window, putting me at an immediate disadvantage.

Put it this way. I don't really play SF4 either. I am more of an SF2 Guy, i like almost all of the best versions of that series, hyper fighting, super turbo, and even the better alphas, and after trying it, the mechanics of 3S are by far the hardest to wrap my head around without going back to the drawing board completely. I could play 4 (which i rarely do) and despite my many niggles with it, i would still have that level of Instinct and that "reaction without thinking" that i have built up over 20 years about what to do in a given situation. With 3S that just isn't there, i'm way behind the curve, and it's a huge differentiator for me in how much i actually enjoy the game.

Akuma is one of Urien's hardest matchups outside of top 3 imo....

Urien is mid-uipper mid at best. You said you were holding your own so how did you lose? I understand where you are coming from but try not to take these losses to heart. Random AA sphere vs Akuma is dead Akuma pretty much! :/

I'm not attacking anyone personally and I'm not trying to defend 3s, I can imagine it's frustrating but talking from experience of learning myself, I find it hard to have past a certain amount of empathy for people

3s is very different though, coming from a guy who plays 'em all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jumping in on Urien when he is in a position to AA sphere, and NOT being ready to parry it is what leads to big, easy-ish tackle combos.

The lesson you SHOULD have learned is: jumping is not free vs Urien.

Also, Akuma has the lowest stamina in the game, of course you were gonna take massive damage no matter what. If you don't like it dying in 2 combos, pick a different character.

Yeah from what I've seen of the matchup Akuma does really really well against Urien. If you can't deal with taking huge damage from combos, maybe he's not the character for you (if you think Urien is bad wait until you play a good Makoto who'll kill you with one command grab in that matchup).

As for the insane damage/mixup potential you say Urien has, it's kind of funny because Akuma has that to at least as good a level. If you think with him you can probably learn to utilise even crazier stuff than what you're currently being hit by from Urien players.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The lesson you SHOULD have learned is: jumping is not free vs Urien

Sigh. I'm not being flippant here, but i really don't need a lesson on street fighter basics. I know that. The point i was trying to make was it illustrated to me how much i had to learn to be competitive in this game, and how large the scale of the consequences of making a basic error like an unnecessary jump were in 3S. Mistakes hurt in fighters, but in 3S they REALLY hurt. This is what i was talking about about going back to the drawing board. I know what i need to learn, but given the new characters, new mechanics, and all the usual matchup stuff i'd need to know, it just looks like such an uphill battle that won't necessarily be fun a lot of the time. That's why i decided it wasn't for me. I'm not faulting the game, it is what it is, i'm just stating that i'm not enjoying it enough to keep playing it in favour of other games.
    If you can't deal with taking huge damage from combos, maybe he's not the character for you

Like i said, i choose characters based on character design and move set, not tiers and stamina bars. It feels like this game doesn't have much to offer me....
    if you think Urien is bad wait until you play a good Makoto who'll kill you with one command grab in that matchup

Yes, that's happened to me too, and it's not nice. None of this is making me fall in love with 3S.

I think I'll sign off on this thread, i just don't feel the game is for me, and debating about it is not gonna change that. It's not a case of who'se right or wrong or whatever, 3S is clearly a good game. It's just a case of my own personal taste, how much time i can afford to invest in my games, and how much enjoyment I'm looking to get out of them for that time.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree in trying to get any agreement from a lot of the posters in here, you guys have a different viewpoint on playing 3S, and that's cool.

Good luck with it, i hope it gets a patch that makes it awesome online, the community deserves it. Maybe I'll bump into some of you elsewhere in the street fighter universe some time. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm not attacking anyone personally
    Yeah tbh stop being a pussy.

Not actually accurate.

Ramza you should go back to posting your dog.gif, you're a lot meaner when you type words.

Mackdaddi: I think you've gotten an unfairly rough time in this thread. I was just laughing at what I thought was complaining about tiers in a mirror match ("an obviously better Urien player"); when really your only crime was slightly poor usage of English.

You're not going to win any 3S arguments (or matches) with Dreddy and Ramza, but if you want to play people who don't have +10 years experience and muscle memory in 3S; there's a lot of other people in this thread (me included) who are new to the game, and suck. Looks us up on XBL if you want an even match.

Maybe I was a bit rash (apologised above)

3s is different, the parry makes it say. You might not get to jump in against an experienced 3s player , unless you maybe empty jump and bait parry. And Urien kills Akuma when he gets hit by AA sphere. Akuma might not be your character if that pissed you off

It was just one match and one punish... don't be put off. I feel like your making 3s out to be insanely hard to learn/play, it's really not

Edit : Also ITT ; Kiki talking sense :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I wouldnt mind getting owned online cos most of the people i play are terrible. I played one dude who was really good and I actually found it really fun trying to get around all the parrying he was doing.

bush wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind getting owned online cos most of the people i play are terrible. I played one dude who was really good and I actually found it really fun trying to get around all the parrying he was doing.

I kinda agree, I would say 80% of my online fights are people who can't parry (not that I am amazing at it) and Remy suddenly becomes tippy top tier in those situations. When you're fighting someone who's good and reads your patterns, it forces you into acting unpredictably to get damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Defeated Gill with Makoto.

Where's my medal, mash SA2 like a beast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Defeated Gill with Makoto.

Where's my medal, mash SA2 like a beast
    Defeat Xinkai's bastard Gill first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Defeat Xinkai's bastard Gill first.

Slap the pad out of his hands, win.

It's all legal when Gill's involved. :pac:

Street Fighter 3rd Strike: Join failed. The session no longer exists edition.

• Advertisement

completely off topic

I must say it isnt entirely the games fault :P my connection over the last 2 days:

46883995.png

From Waterford to Dublin on UPC's fibre power 30 line. Serious load of crap :mad: playing games that feel they are underwater and standing still from imputs dropping completely for fooking ages at a time. Then games in 3rd Strike where its like a badly scratched dvd.... infuriating.

Going to ring them now.
    Again I know this is completely off topic, but what exactly should I be saying to the guys, the download/upload speed is fine but the ping/jitter is beyond random. :( and its easily noticable in game. Its like night and day.

Advertisement