Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

GorySnake wrote: »
    Rebalance them storylines.

Only way to get new people to play really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Regarding my stance on QCF x3:
    <blinn> i'm trying really hard to not fall into noob traps like too many wakeup shienks or ultras. that random super earlier was because the game turned 3x rekkas into 1 rekka + 1 super :(

THIS is another reason why QCF + Punch, F+Punch, F+Punch is superior -- no more accidental supers!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

twelve-xndl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

GorySnake wrote: »
    Rebalance them storylines.
    The stories/endings in SFIII(especially new generation and 2nd impact) were infinitely better than II or IV....

Both in story and artwork..

Ken B wrote: »
    The stories/endings in SFIII(especially new generation and 2nd impact) were infinitely better than II or IV....

Both in story and artwork..

WHAT?!?!

REMEMBER ME AND CHARLIE?!

DO YOU?

DO YOU KEN?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

me and my sis used to come home from our final exams and complete the game with each character then back to study. Education was damn hard in pakistan.
    But i remember that ending, i think the shadowloo and ryus were the most disapointing

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

WHAT?!?!

REMEMBER ME AND CHARLIE?!

DO YOU?

DO YOU KEN?!
    I admit that the first time I saw that one, and Blanka's, I nearly wet myself......genius stuff.

A whole world and history, in about 5 lines.....

Ken B wrote: »
    I admit that the first time I saw that one and Blanka's I nearly wet myself......genius stuff.

A whole world and history, in about 5 lines.....

Especially as you knew literally nothing about those characters til you finished the game.

Arcade endings were an art.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Guile looks gay as christmas in that last scene!

animaX wrote: »
    Guile looks gay as christmas in that last scene!

Guile is comfortable in his sexuality. He doesn't need to prove himself to the likes of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Orim wrote: »
    Get rid of parries, all problems solved. Simple.

Well then it wouldn't be SFIII

*makes everyone angry and go back into debate mode*

SF story in general is pretty ****ing whack

You can't whore with Chun Kiki. You have to know what you're at.

Ramza wrote: »
    Well then it wouldn't be SFIII

*makes everyone angry and go back into debate mode*

SF story in general is pretty ****ing whack

You can't whore with Chun Kiki. You have to know what you're at.

Can't argue with that really. I remember me and joconnell getting our heads around an alpha counter that didn't cost meter in the arcades when we were playing III :D

Can't argue with that really. I remember me and joconnell getting our heads around an alpha counter that didn't cost meter in the arcades when we were playing III :D

lol that's gas

great idea

also
    ThridStrikeDiagramCropped.jpg

S+ - Chun-Li ;)
    S - Yun ;)
    A+ - Ken, Dudley
    A - Makoto, Yang
    A- - Urien, Akuma, Ryu, Oro
    B+ - Hugo
    B - Elena, Ibuki, Alex
    C - Necro, Twelve, Remy, Q
    D - Sean

I think a parry mode'd be awesome all right.

does GGPO have a replay mode?

This release needs to have everything GGPO has to offer to players basically, one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Placebo wrote: »
    S+ - Chun-Li ;)
    S - Yun ;)
    A+ - Ken, Dudley
    A - Makoto, Yang
    A- - Urien, Akuma, Ryu, Oro
    B+ - Hugo
    B - Elena, Ibuki, Alex
    C - Necro, Twelve, Remy, Q
    D - Sean

OMG a game with a defined tier list!

Please post up said list for ST with o.Sagat at the top or vanilla 4 with Sagat at the top! It's shocking stuff. :pac:

that tier list has been like that as far as i can remember and yes which is why even ono agreed that sagat was over powered in vanilla, aka broken. And so he was balanced in SSF4.

GGPO does not have replay
    it doesnt even connect properly half the time

supercade does but thats a piece of ****

Placebo wrote: »
    that tier list has been like that as far as i can remember and yes which is why even ono agreed that sagat was over powered in vanilla, aka broken. And so he was balanced in SSF4.

GGPO does not have replay
    it doesnt even connect properly half the time

supercade does but thats a piece of ****

No one said Chun and Yun weren't top tier

Tier list for 3s has been debated non stop, up until last year's SBO actually. Dudley was never that high and there was a debate to see would/could he bypass Makoto

Like Dreddy said not wanting to play a game because of a tier list is silly (not saying anyone is just speaking in generals)

That parry mode is actually godlike, would be too sick. Actually meant to post here when I saw it on NE the other day

2df had godlike replay mode

In ggpo if you spec a game you can record input in the emulator then play it back and record. Kinda ghetto though since you need a person willing to sit and watch all of your games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Ramza wrote: »
    Like Dreddy said not wanting to play a game because of a tier list is silly (not saying anyone is just speaking in generals)

To be fair there was more that put me off MvC2 and 3S than top tiers.

From a completely personal preference point of view, I think I dislike fighting games with a lot of air combat. MvC2 seemed to be all about that (also infinites, don't like them either). It put me off the alpha series too. Between Brawl and Melee they put in a lot more floatyness, infinite air dodges (was previously just one) and the ability for characters to survive to much higher damage numbers, the end result of that was that most fights ended up in the air one way or the other. Didn't like that either.

3S I just missed. I never knew there even WAS a Street Fighter 3 until I came across a random arcade machine in Toronto about 6 years ago. The parry system seems like a massive skill curve to need to overcome. Also the fact that all the most interesting looking characters are bottom tier is discouraging.

I don't really have any more thoughts on the "there is no reason they shouldn't rebalance this" debate, but I will say that I don't think anyone has produced a single good reason to the contrary.

To be fair there was more that put me off MvC2 and 3S than top tiers.

From a completely personal preference point of view, I think I dislike fighting games with a lot of air combat. MvC2 seemed to be all about that (also infinites, don't like them either). It put me off the alpha series too. Between Brawl and Melee they put in a lot more floatyness, infinite air dodges (was previously just one) and the ability for characters to survive to much higher damage numbers, the end result of that was that most fights ended up in the air one way or the other. Didn't like that either.

3S I just missed. I never knew there even WAS a Street Fighter 3 until I came across a random arcade machine in Toronto about 6 years ago. The parry system seems like a massive skill curve to need to overcome. Also the fact that all the most interesting looking characters are bottom tier is discouraging.

I don't really have any more thoughts on the "there is no reason they shouldn't rebalance this" debate, but I will say that I don't think anyone has produced a single good reason to the contrary.

I'm put off by MVC2 and the like just because of how hectic it looks, cant grasp it at all. Tried

I didn't know there was SF3 till I got the internet (how I bought the game, online). I used to play SF2 and alpha non stop but as fas as SFIII was concerned there wasn't one to me lol

Parrying is kind of like, this thing you have and can use, but without it it doesn't make a difference. Learning parrying is something you don't sit down and do (unless its specifics). Parrying is all based on anticipation and reading. It helps some characters get in that would have a hard time otherwise. It's a really nice feature as its universal to the cast. You just learn the timings with exp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I played the game and enjoyed the flying fook out of it for 2 years without learning how to parry properly.

Beating people that could parry. Just like other fighting games theres many levels to it , ah lot of stuff your worried about only comes into play at high levels, which you'd have to actually play the game for awhile to get to anyway.

Btw I'm a few pages late but wanna clear up:
    I'm not too interested in SRK drama, especially not 11 pages long.

Sirlin comes across as a jerk most of the time, even when I'm talking to him first hand in a chat, complimenting him on his card game and trying to give him more money he can act like a jerk. I don't think his people skills are very good, but I definitely love his design.

I don't think my argument needs my opinion to be more informed in order to be any more valid.

I'm not saying I think 3S is broken, but I do think a remixed version would draw in a lot more new players.

All I'm really arguing for is the concept that change isn't always bad.

Your misunderstanding where I'm coming from again. I was coming from the angle of trying to explain why you shouldn't be surprised, cause people in 'this thread here' (the srk thread) exist and make up a large fan base of each game.

Not 'listen to these people as they're right' and I agree with what your saying about Sirlin. Its amusing that he gets involved in flame wars on srk about his own game. The amount of anti sirlin jokes in that thread crack me up.

Anyway, yeah also you seem to think I was talking about specifically you when I was talking about people needing more experience with the game before fully judging it.

I meant people think its broken or unplayable cause of misconception a,b and c.

Not people who think it should be re-balanced.

Did I not already say I wouldn't mind a few tweaks myself?

Anyway I love 3s, thats all I'm gonna say, I don't like how this thread turned out, this is positive news for me anyway , thats all I'm gonna say.

3s ft fuckin w

Aye, didn't read the SRK topic, but I figured it's 100% fanboy rage.

Which seems to be the most consistently brought up reason for not even attempting to tweak it a little.
    Sisko wrote: »
    Anyway I love 3s, thats all I'm gonna say, I don't like how this thread turned out

What are you talking about?

This thread was a AWESOME! :pac:

Wasn't really asking you to actually read all the pages, I didnt myself. Just scan through it to get an idea of the kinda stuff people had issues with with HDR.

Like I don't really have much of an opinion of HDR, I assumed SF2 fans would like it, they hate it, I dunno why, I'm not arsed caring.

Anyway 3s is a fun game, you should try it. Don't get too hung up about top tier stuff, its irrelevant until you get to high level tournament play. Which you more than likely won't.

This thread should be a celebration of everything 3rd strike. Wheres that guy blinn gone? Post more elena cos play pics ffs.

You guys scared him off :(

I had a look at the first page now, it's pretty funny.

A lot of people complain that HDR is too loud.

That's an actual complaint.

It's too loud.

They went overboard on the volume.

I like this guy though:
    Let me count the ways HDR is inferior to ST:

1. Lack of random input windows.
    2. Lack of random throw damage.
    3. Lack of random dizzy modifiers.
    4. Reversals actually work in HDR.
    5. People can get out of my favorite corner traps.

If Sirlin *really* wanted to improve ST, he should have made it so that characters randomly had a chance of knocking themselves down whenever you use their fierce punch or roundhouse kick.

I did try 3S Sisko, I had a bunch of matches against Ramza at the day in the park. I'm almost positive he parried every move I even thought about doing.

I also played Terry at the last DoC, and actually did pretty well with Alex (not Ken or Q though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The volume on HDR is ridiculously loud though, it's like twice as loud as any other game I have. Always forget and it absolutely blasts out (and even if you turn it down in the options, that only takes effect on the main menu, it's still really loud before that).

By trying I mean getting the game and playing people online. GGPO etc.

Unless I'm mistaken, Ramza is currently the best 3s player in this country.

He's not an average 3s player. If your only ever experience of ssf4 was playing cobelcog imagine how you'd sound in a thread saying "I'm not bothered with this game, I've tried it and all it is is random cannon strikes all the time. Also theres characters that are top tier, fuck this."

lol :p

Sisko wrote: »
    Also theres characters that are top tier, fuck this."

Man you guys are latching onto that one pretty hard.

It was just one of many reasons, but that point was that it's less appealing to get into an old game where all the best characters and strategies have been long agree upon, than it is to get in at the beginning of a new game where anything can happen.

It's not like I'm Professor Von Anti-Top Tier.

Then Terry and I would have to do battle on rainy rooftops in a crime-ridden city. :(

Man you guys are latching onto that one pretty hard.

Am I?

Meh I'm only taking the piss anyways but I think I only said that once:pac:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

volume on hdr is loud because it's a buggy mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Most important:

Proper Button config, like ex plus alpha/hdremix.

Rather than a rebalancing I'd like to see a celebratory approach.

The assets from all 3 Street fighter III games;
    New generation, double impact giant attack, and third strike, rolled up into one anniversary style game.
    But, with Pure modes too, where the pure arcade version of whichever game is selected is played, and the pure version of third strike, being the lead game.

It would be a nice bonus and might inspire some interesting community stuff. The AE version could end up being unbalanced but it wouldn't matter as true third strike would be there, and it wouldn't split the scene like rebalancing a stand alone game would.

Other thoughts:

A Pallet changer would be great. like in CvS2

Tagging opponents: After a match in ranked or perhaps a session in casual, a selection of tags pre made by capcom, would appear and the player can assign 3-5 of them to his opponent.

Next time he meets this opponent, the tags would appear before the match to remind him of the opponents style:
    Parry happy, turtle, jumper, etc. Or perhaps just which characters and which super arts he uses, chun sa II alex sa III etc.

The tags would not necessarily been seen by the recipient, though perhaps they could see which tags the highest percentage of people assign them in the profile.

Replays of the last 100 matches saved automatically, online or offline

Spectator mode like ggpo, where people could watch the match without being involved in the lobby or playing the winner, perhaps groups of 8 would be put in party/game chat together in order of who started viewing first.

Play arcade/training mode, while waiting for a fight; just like SFIV, but being able to accept decline the fight without first leaving arcade/training mode

Online training mode: 2 players in training mode together online

System direction lobbies: If system direction is included, allow people to create non ranked lobbies using their custom rules.

Intelligent custom music: use custom music on hdd intelligently, have the track start at start of battle and fade out at end, don't use on character select screen, select next track for next battle.

Opinions please gentlemen.

Advertisement