Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III - Third Strike Online Edition-released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Opinions please gentlemen.

100 replays seems kind of crazy in a download title, but offline replays would be nice.

I enjoyed that pallet changer in CvS2 because I could make Rugal look like The Joker :D

The tagging option would be a good way to check your profile and see 87% asshole, 12% bollocks, 1% Hitler. I think it would have to saved client side to make sense. So I think it would have the same space concerns as the 100 replays.

Custom music actually sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Each replay would be a couple of kilobytes. nothing basically.

with 30, i feel on a long session early games are endangered,

Each replay would be a couple of kilobytes. nothing basically.

with 30, i feel on a long session early games are endangered,

I agree, but SSFIV only got 30, and download titles have size caps in place to begin with, so 100 doesn't seem too likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

They would be generated and stored on the users hdd, space wouldn't be an issue at all it would be no more than a few Mbs max..

cpu load, bringing up the menu of them, might be, but probably wouldn't, especially if it only brought up 25 per screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Man you guys are latching onto that one pretty hard.

It was just one of many reasons, but that point was that it's less appealing to get into an old game where all the best characters and strategies have been long agree upon, than it is to get in at the beginning of a new game where anything can happen.

It's not like I'm Professor Von Anti-Top Tier.

Then Terry and I would have to do battle on rainy rooftops in a crime-ridden city. :(

I respect your reasons but if I like a game I will play it no matter what :)

• Advertisement

Capcom announced no more fighting games are to be released this year.

I can't imagine 3S:OE is just going to be straight port if it's going to take them till next year to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Has there been a release date for SF3:3S set yet?

"Not this year"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good article about a possible re-balance on iPlayWinner:
    http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/8/23/street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-online-feedback-series-arlieth.html

Inb4 Ramza explodes ;)

That article is full of win, things like
    Make all three Super Arts equally suitable for consideration for each character

LOL
    Increase all projectile damage by 25%

Makes no sense
    Ryu's Shin Shoryuken is a pretty decent SA as-is. However, Shinkuu Hadouken and Denjin Hadouken take up the lion's share of SA selections. Simply adding +1 or +2 frames of hit advantage to his f+MP overhead vs. crouching opponents would make it extremely useful, and it still wouldn't be as impossible to defend against compared to Dudley's f+HK overhead.

IMO it wouldn't change anything. People still gonna use SA1/3. It kinda flies in the face of his argument about making projectiles stronger :P
    Also for consideration would be to adjust hitbox properties to even the playing field, especially in cases where a character who already has an advantageous matchup gains an unintended advantage because their opponent cannot hit them with attacks that hit everyone else

Seems like a good idea honestly. I ****ing hate some hitboxes in this game. But by changing one hitbox in a defensive manner are you not opening up more possibilities for other ****?
    But despite the parrying mechanic, it still has a very clear top-tier trio of Yun/Ken/Chun

So don't play the game then? I've expressed my views on this. No game is different with a dominant top tier. And these characters can be annoying at times, well Chun and Yun at least. I'd happily welcome some well thought out and practical nerfs to them. But as is, if you don't want to play the game because of a dominant top tier and based on ear, then you're a scrub

Onto the changes
    Houyoku Sen (SA2): Reduce to 1x stock and increase to max meter length.

Yes
    Chun can currently 'trap' an opponent by forcing them to parry kicks, then throwing them when the kicks end. It is impossible to react to the throw attempt
    :confused:
    Zenpou Tenshin: Grab places Yun further away from opponent (limits followup options like relaunch or target combo)

Sounds like a good idea. But then wouldn't he be out of range for his BnB followup on characters like Urien where you need to use cr.mk?
    High-level players could kara-cancel into it for better range anyhow.

Not a valid point imo. Someone fix kara lol!!1. Oh and you're catering for new players?
    Abare Tosanami Kudaki (SA2): Reduced stun damage.
    To prevent 100% stun combos on characters with standard Stun ratings (Akuma and Remy would still be subject to 100% stun).

Good idea
    b+HK: Less recovery frames.

Urien hasn't got a back + HK? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

It begins.

I'll get the axe.

Just posting my opinion. Some of the points are clever and make sense and I do agree with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »

So don't play the game then? I've expressed my views on this. No game is different with a dominant top tier. And these characters can be annoying at times, well Chun and Yun at least. I'd happily welcome some well thought out and practical nerfs to them. But as is, if you don't want to play the game because of a dominant top tier and based on ear, then you're a scrub

Eh... don't play the game, but if you don't play the game because you don't like it, you're a scrub?!

Eh... don't play the game, but if you don't play the game because you don't like it, you're a scrub?!

When did I say this? Yeah if you don't like something then don't play it, simple as. But the whole mentality of "Chun/Yun/Ken are too strong, I wanna learn the game but [insert silly excuse here]" is silly.

It's understandable to an extent but it's kinda nuts at the same time. It's evident in places. If someone doesn't like, has no interest to learn, or play 3s then they shouldn't be on this thread.

When did I say this? Yeah if you don't like something then don't play it, simple as. But the whole mentality of "Chun/Yun/Ken are too strong, I wanna learn the game but [insert silly excuse here]" is silly.

It's understandable to an extent but it's kinda nuts at the same time. It's evident in places. If someone doesn't like, has no interest to learn, or play 3s then they shouldn't be on this thread.

Actually, no Ramza, you don't get to decide who gets to discuss 3S, or where they get to discuss it in this forum.

People who don't enjoy it and would like to speculate on changes that would potentially make them play are just as entitled as you, just like you're entitled to give out about SF4.

You need to appreciate other people see the game differently to you, and that does not auto make them a scrub.

As for where I took that from, see the paragraph above I quoted.

Actually, no Ramza, you don't get to decide who gets to discuss 3S, or where they get to discuss it in this forum.

People who don't enjoy it and would like to speculate on changes that would potentially make them play are just as entitled as you, just like you're entitled to give out about SF4.

You need to appreciate other people see the game differently to you, and that does not auto make them a scrub.
    on this thread

This thread is about discussing 3s online edition, and possible game changes. Other than to make a comment I don't think anyone who doesn't play or wants to play should make suggestions then. Isn't that what staying on topic is?

I do appreciate other people see the game different to me/others. This whole thread shows that. I didn't say they were scrubs because of that :pac: It's kind of scrubby to be like "yeah, 3s is cool, I wanna learn, like I mean I got the emulation here, a player base on GGPO, the xbox/ps2 version etc, and an ONLINE RENDITION coming soon but [excuse]" That's all I'm saying
    People who don't enjoy it and would like to speculate on changes that would potentially make them play are just as entitled as you

Hmm yeah I see what you mean actually. But at the same time you have to consider my argument. But along this whole thread I did read all posts and take everyone's opinion into consideration when replying etc. I dunno if the OE will do much, but I'm all for getting new players if the opportunity arises.

This thread is about discussing 3s online edition, and possible game changes. Other than to make a comment I don't think anyone who doesn't play or wants to play should make suggestions then. Isn't that what staying on topic is?

Well, no, because you have people like me who don't want to play if it's the exact same. I don't really enjoy 3S all that much and will have no interest unless there's something more for me in the new version.

Once again, there' probably a considerable market like me who Capcom might try to capture. But if they do, they'll lose your market. An interesting catch 22 and it's encapsulated in the discussion in this thread here.

However I will give it a shot if it isn't just exactly the same as the 3S you know and love. There's no point, I'd really much rather play ST or 4. I simply do not find 3S as it stands a comparatively enjoyable game.

I think at this point we're both aware neither of us is right or wrong though- there is no right or wrong. It's simply we desire something different. My point on this topic is just as valid as yours, and yours is mine.

Well, no, because you have people like me who don't want to play if it's the exact same. I don't really enjoy 3S all that much and will have no interest unless there's something more for me in the new version.

Once again, there' probably a considerable market like me who Capcom might try to capture. But if they do, they'll lose your market. An interesting catch 22 and it's encapsulated in the discussion in this thread here.

However I will give it a shot if it isn't just exactly the same as the 3S you know and love. There's no point, I'd really much rather play ST or 4. I simply do not find 3S as it stands a comparatively enjoyable game.

I think at this point we're both aware neither of us is right or wrong though- there is no right or wrong. It's simply we desire something different. My point on this topic is just as valid as yours, and yours is mine.

That's all well and good but can I ask why? It's fine if you/one does not like the game or has no desire :). But you say if there is something new? Maybe you can explain to me, the way I see it is like , if you don't play because you don't like it then there's no standard for comparison if there is a rebalance. Like you get me?

Yeah the same thing happened with HDR kind of. But tbh I don't think there's a huge community to divide :L It's just the principle of the whole thing that really gets me

That's fine, everyone enjoys different things ^^ But again I'm kinda confused as far as I don't play now but would like to if they change stuff. Like I genuinely don't get it, not having a go at all.

That's all well and good but can I ask why? It's fine if you/one does not like the game or has no desire :). But you say if there is something new? Maybe you can explain to me, the way I see it is like , if you don't play because you don't like it then there's no standard for comparison if there is a rebalance. Like you get me?

Yeah the same thing happened with HDR kind of. But tbh I don't think there's a huge community to divide :L It's just the principle of the whole thing that really gets me

That's fine, everyone enjoys different things ^^ But again I'm kinda confused as far as I don't play now but would like to if they change stuff. Like I genuinely don't get it, not having a go at all.

I played it enough to establish I don't like it. I've spent I would say approx 20 hours or so playing 3S. Which is alot more than most people would pump into a game they dislike. :)

I'm NOT just dismissing it out of hand. I understand the dynamics and the mechanics. I watch some videos, I bothered to learn about charge partitioning etc. I even practiced a couple of combos before the last 3S tournament we had.

3S simply doesn't sync with how I enjoy a fighting game.

Oh yeah I came second and 3rd in two 3s tournaments too :D

That's all fair enough ^^

Don't remind me of the Tin humiliation with Sean XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

A scrub is a player who invents, usually arbitrary, rules to enforce one style of play (normally, his) and who gets upset when other players break those rules. So, it doesn't apply. If you're using it off-hand as an alternative to calling someone a dumb competitive player, it still doesn't apply.

It would be the smart competitive player who declines, especially if there are fewer opportunities to profit and more of it than in other fighting games, to play a ten year old game which had a strong following throughout its life cycle and by definition, has a massive gap in strategy and execution between an entry-level player and a mid/top-level player.

A re-balance will close the gap a little; therefore, it will encourage more new players to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

God damn it Kiki

I see what you mean Neo but like, learning no new game is as hard as the next. 3s is no different than others, the only thing is, the only players really left are really good ones. The resources are all there for those who are interested as of now and there's no excuse imo if you are determined. I will say that. I can see how it would be hard as of now to get into it. But if someone is really willing they easily could. This is my point. An online rendition will help immensely with this and I hope so too.

As far as the execution and strat goes I'd have to disagree. 3s is lenient with inputs compared to SF2 and even in general. It's easy to hit up training mode and learn BnB and strats and mindgames etc. I think people are basing the majority of this off hear say. It's not that hard seriously

I'm basing this on experience:
    Chun is a broken bitch.
    Yun combos are stupidly insane.
    Ken can hit-confirm SA3 off a feck-ton of normals, while almost nobody else (bar Chun, see above) can.
    Sean sucks... unless you're Tin/chunkis.

A re-balance would make new players INTERESTED as they would feel they have a fairer chance of learning new strats before the OGs, EVEN THOUGH they'd still lose to an OG every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ken can hit-confirm SA3 off a feck-ton of normals, while almost nobody else (bar Chun, see above) can.

Almost every character can easily hit confirm to super, that's kind of what the whole game revolves around. Am I misunderstanding you?

Ken can do SA3 from overhead kick f+HK, cr.MP, cr.MK, far MP, cl.MP, HP, cr.LK,[cr.LP,]cr.LK, Target combo, shoryuken cancel, hadou cancel.

Ridiculous amount of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Almost every character can easily hit confirm to super, that's kind of what the whole game revolves around. Am I misunderstanding you?
    Hugo's SA1 weeps.

EINS

VIE
    DRIE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I don't think a rebalanced 3s is gonna make those who don't like fast paced rush down games wanna all of a sudden play it.

I'm just happy its coming out so people who've never gotten the chance of experiencing the game will now have that chance.

I'm highly skeptical of any re-balancing. But if it does happen , we will pretty much see the HDR v ST scenario repeat itself.

Ramza's getting a lot of heat , partly cause of how he's making his points but look at all the people on here who still like ST over HDR.

Its the same thing.

Cept people were more optimistic before HDR came out , since then any old FG game rebalanced imo is going to receive a level of wareyness from a lot of people who enjoy the original and saw how HDR turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ken can do SA3 from overhead kick f+HK, cr.MP, cr.MK, far MP, cl.MP, HP, cr.LK,[cr.LP,]cr.LK, Target combo, shoryuken cancel, hadou cancel.

Ridiculous amount of options.

It doesn't do that much damage though, it's a perfectly balanced super imo. Ken is actually probably the most perfectly balanced character in 3s imo, I have no idea why you'd want to change anything about him.

edit: Also about half the things you listed aren't hit confirms, just cancels.

• Advertisement

I could give you a list as long as my arm of all the moves in the whole game that are HCable to super

That's how the game works. Ken's SA3 does little damage for a reason

Advertisement