Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider ID please

• 24-07-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭

HI!
    I came on this spider today it was among the grass not too far from a river. It was a large strongly built spider its abdomen was about 12mm across.
    P7240057.jpg
    P7243947.jpg

Thank you.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I just had a look through my pictures and I photographed one the same last year. He built his web at the top of ten year old scots pine trees and caught any flies in flight between the trees.

Anyway I'm sure someone here will id him, I have searched but cant find the thread. below is my pic...

121473.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

wgsten wrote: »
    HI!
    I came on this spider today it was among the grass not too far from a river. It was a large strongly built spider its abdomen was about 12mm across.

Thank you.
    wgsten

Nice pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

HI!
    P7240057.jpg

Thats a Common Cross Spider (Araneus quadratus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

artieanna wrote: »
    I just had a look through my pictures and I photographed one the same last year. He built his web at the top of ten year old scots pine trees and caught any flies in flight between the trees.

Anyway I'm sure someone here will id him, I have searched but cant find the thread. below is my pic...

121473.JPG

That's a Garden Spider (Araneus diadematus)

The difference from wgstens is the spots on the abdomen the Common Cross spider has four large spots in a square but the Common Garden has a row of white dots down the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

F.R. wrote: »
    HI!
    Thats a Common Cross Spider (Araneus quadratus)
    Thanks F.R. its always nice to know the name of the subject that you have photographed.
    wgsten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭John mac

Nice shots. (what camera are you using?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

John mac wrote: »
    Nice shots. (what camera are you using?)
    An Olympus E-520 with a 70-300 lens.:)
    wgsten

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Gosh I thought they were both the same type of spider. The markings are different now that I look again:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Good capture WG.
    I edited out a number of duplicate images in the quotes to tidy up the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

There used to be loads of these in our garden but I have noticed that in recent years they seem to have vanished. Are they on the decline or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement