Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should i do for the rest of my life?

Options
  • 24-07-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I wanna be a doctor but i can't get the points am thinking or under gradates medicine after but what should i take up am thinking nursing but if the under gradates idea doesn't work i don't wanna be a nurse forever.
    I love the human mind but i can't do Psychology too much points i love learning about why people do what they do , why people kill or why they feel they nee to keep things to themselves or why people feel more comfortable when they can't see who they are talking to. I wouldn't mind beginning in a career like that for the rest of my life if plan A doesn't work
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I wanna be a doctor but i can't get the points am thinking or under gradates medicine after but what should i take up am thinking nursing but if the under gradates idea doesn't work i don't wanna be a nurse forever.
    I love the human mind but i can't do Psychology too much points i love learning about why people do what they do , why people kill or why they feel they nee to keep things to themselves or why people feel more comfortable when they can't see who they are talking to. I wouldn't mind beginning in a career like that for the rest of my life if plan A doesn't work

How old are you? Are you just going into LC now?

Where there is a will there is a way - the questions is, do you have the will to make it happen?

You have several options...

1. Work really really hard for the LC and get the points for Med / Psychology from there - scrap the 'I can't do it' attitude. Unless your doing too many pass subjects to make it mathematically impossible then you've just as much of a chance as anyone else.

2. If that fails, repeat the LC, it gives you an extra year to work your butt off and get the points. Can be hit or miss. If psychology is really an option for you, then you are looking at less points than Med, so you may feel more capable of achieving those points.

3. You can do the undergrad route as stated - nursing, science etc. can all be steered in the direction of where you want to go with the right module choices.

4. Psychology through arts. You can get in by taking psychology in Arts and coming in the top 35 (I think it's this in UCD) of your class. Again, I did psychology in 1st Arts, had no intention of taking it all the way to 3rd year and still didn't come too far behind those who won their places in 2nd & 3rd year (and I made very little effort too :p).

5. Psychology through a private college such as DBS. You don't need 500 points, just cash, but it is recognised by similar bodies as degrees from other Uni's (stand to be corrected on this).

The 2 main things I'd advise you to do right now is 1. Start thinking positive. If you've already resigned yourself to never making Med then you probably wont. 2. Get in touch with someone in career guidance.

Good luck!

Advertisement