Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter X Tekken is for REAL!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

My biggest concern with the gem system isn't even the DLC system, the balance or any of that, but the pre-match preparation times.

Surely button checks combined with a custom-gemmed team (from hundreds of gems) will mean tournament matches will take ages to get started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

There are so many directions that game developers could go with the fighting game that they have not really explored that would suit a fighting game more. I like manga but there is a disproportional amount of influence in fighting games. Too many strobe lights and atom bombs going off and now I see in ultimate Marvel V Capcom 3 yer man fecking the paper at them and calling objection FFS :rolleyes:

It does not need to be realistic and projectiles and such are good in fighing games but it would be better if they where fighting related.

Some of the items I would like to see in fighting games would be as follows:

Adrenaline: a boost that you can hit the other player with increased damage and speed for a short burst where you can be hit and take damage but you would not get stunned.

Character development where you are awarded with new normal moves and strings based on achievements and skill. I would much prefer to be choosing a move set at the start of a match then a gem.

Slight short term fatigue on aggressor when moves are blocked, maybe losing some abilities then tired. weaker fireballs etc.

Combos restricted to 20% damage and 8 hits. Nobody enjoys getting bounced like NBA jam after one mistake.

Actually, no bounce or long juggle combos. :)

More parry and countering.

The best thing about SF4 imho are the moves, right speed, character variation, balance and solid engine. In SFxT the additional characters and tag looks great. I liked the design and variation and was really looking forward to it. Not so much now TBH as its getting more like MvC vs T imo. It might turn out to be the best fighting game ever but the more bells and whistles that they add in then the more stuff they need to balance and tweak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

eco2live wrote:
    here are so many directions that game developers could go with the fighting game that they have not really explored that would suit a fighting game more. I like manga but there is a disproportional amount of influence in fighting games. Too many strobe lights and atom bombs going off and now I see in ultimate Marvel V Capcom 3 yer man fecking the paper at them and calling objection FFS
    You *DO* realise Phoenix Wright is a video game character, and has never been in anime right?

p.s. Read this blog.
    eco2live wrote:
    Adrenaline: a boost that you can hit the other player with increased damage and speed for a short burst where you can be hit and take damage but you would not get stunned.
    Broken mechanic.
    eco2live wrote:
    Character development where you are awarded with new normal moves and strings based on achievements and skill. I would much prefer to be choosing a move set at the start of a match then a gem.
    Pick your character, know one to represent your life
    We're stompin anybody so make the choice right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You *DO* realise Phoenix Wright is a video game character, and has never been in anime right?

Yep and I don't expect to see professor layton in a fighting game either.

By the way I read some of that blog. Its very good and I actually prefer sprites to the 3D models and animation style. What I was talking about is the power-ups, explosions and over the top and overpowered stuff that is coming into fighting games. More approachable to new players they say. I am not so sure. There is so much going on that it just looks like chaos.

I am probably getting too old. I sound like somebody complaining about that boom boom boom music lol

eco2live wrote: »

That's a GREAT IDEA!

*runs to Capcom unity*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

eco2live wrote: »

By the way I read some of that blog. Its very good and I actually prefer sprites to the 3D models and animation style. What I was talking about is the power-ups, explosions and over the top and overpowered stuff that is coming into fighting games. More approachable to new players they say. I am not so sure. There is so much going on that it just looks like chaos.

I am probably getting too old. I sound like somebody complaining about that boom boom boom music lol

No actually I have a friend in work who's a big marvel fan and wanted to get into MvC3 but found it difficult to understand with all the... everything going on.

No actually I have a friend in work who's a big marvel fan and wanted to get into MvC3 but found it difficult to understand with all the... everything going on.

I agree.

I think at low levels of play, Blazblue is more newbie friendly than MvC. Less buttons, less going on. Even compared to Street Fighter it requires less presses of multiple buttons at the end of motion (Ultras etc), has an easier input for rapid cancelling as opposed to FADC mechanic; as well as the "Get out of combo free card" that is the burst mechanic makes lowbie feel like they have more control over what's going on.

Higher levels is a completely different story though....

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I forsee TOs agreeing en masse not to allow them though. Just way too messy. Imagine the time wasted as people select from 45+ gems...

Ono has stated there will be hundreds of gems to choose from, right on the disc, for BOTH characters on your team. Add in button checks (you just know Capcom are going to stick with their god awful button check system, its tradition apparently), tournaments will take forever.

GorySnake wrote: »
    Ono has stated there will be hundreds of gems to choose from, right on the disc, for BOTH characters on your team. Add in button checks (you just know Capcom are going to stick with their god awful button check system, its tradition apparently), tournaments will take forever.

If that's true and there's no preset groups, I'd say it'll be banned.

Or people will just play SSF4...

Ban what? DLC gems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Calling tournament-standard gem sets that have the minimum achievable adverse affect on gameplay.

EDIT: Assuming they don't allow picking blank slots which it sounds like they won't.

GorySnake wrote: »
    Ban what? DLC gems?

Possibly, or gems in general, depending on how easy unlocks are, or how long picking them takes, or how broken certain combinations are.

Didn't one of the organisers of Evo tweet as things stand they're not going to allow them?

EDIT: This is all totally wild conjecture on my part obviously. Their effect could be pretty negligable, or they could be a cool mechanic.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/oct/17/no-option-disable-gems-sfxt-system-designed-veterans/

You have to play with gems, I dont think you can even choose no gems now. MrWizard was saying with the way the game is looking at the moment he doubts the game is even going to be at Evo.

Jeebus. That doesn't sound good considering the reaction all this is getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Haunts was saying on a vid that he thinks this game is more of online/casual game thats not really aimed at tournament play.

It was becoming increasingly easy to see why this game is tournament unviable.

In fact, I think I now know WHY I completely dislike it...
    Materia_Menu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

You dislike the Materia system, which is hands down the best system ever to be implemented in any RPG(imo)?

gg

and this game is **** now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Gems are the future. Embrace the gems.

It's funny. As ridiculously non-tournament viable as it sounds like this whole thing is going to be, it's dramatically increased the chances of me picking it up since I have no natural interest in anything with the Tekken name.

It's good to see them trying something different.

Also I don't think Evo should ban an unreleased game based whatever snatches of information are available.

• Advertisement

Its crazy to think that just a few months ago Seth Killian was saying that the game was getting nothing but praise and that it worried him that there was no criticism of the game. Well he got his wish, everyone hates it now.
    It's funny. As ridiculously non-tournament viable as it sounds like this whole thing is going to be, it's dramatically increased the chances of me picking it up since I have no natural interest in anything with the Tekken name.

It's good to see them trying something different.

Also I don't think Evo should ban an unreleased game based whatever snatches of information are available.

Well it was never going to play like Tekken anyway, and its not banned at Evo, its just not going to be in the lineup of main games because theres zero interest in the game now

bush wrote: »
    Gems are the future. Embrace the gems.

Personally, I think they are outrageous.

Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

What Doom said was both musical and contagious...

Ramza wrote: »
    You dislike the Materia system, which is hands down the best system ever to be implemented in any RPG(imo)?

gg

and this game is **** now
    >hands-down
    >imo

opinions =/= fact

Also, my judgement of FF is clouded by having experienced FFIX first. Which is, IMO, the better experience.

opinions =/= fact

I think the above quoted section is the most self-contained irony I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

>hands-down
    >imo

opinions =/= fact

Also, my judgement of FF is clouded by having experienced FFIX first. Which is, IMO, the better experience.

Not to dereail but IX was v good, best after 7 but doesn't mean materia is crap, they both use different systems

also lol, ffix system is probably closer to the gem system than 7 is :pac:

Ramza wrote: »
    Not to dereail but IX was v good, best after 7 but doesn't mean materia is crap, they both use different systems

also lol, ffix system is probably closer to the gem system than 7 is :pac:
    But it's not the FFVII materia system; FFIX is quite a bit simpler.

Still a completely inappropriate system to have for a fighting game.
    I think the above quoted section is the most self-contained irony I've ever seen.
    I didn't express any facts in my post. I expressed opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Junction System FTW!

Game is easier if you don't level up thanks to enemy scaling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Advertisement