Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter X Tekken is for REAL!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Uh X-2 clearly has the best battle system

Shame about the rest of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Uh X-2 clearly has the best battle system

Shame about the rest of the game

no, it doesn't > : |

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Yeah it does, Ramza.
    And Yuna swings her arms when she scampers around the place. Best game.

Regarding topic: blah blah, gems suck, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

The Gem system is disasteriffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/23/why-street-fighter-x-tekkens-gems-could-be-problematic-for-tournaments/

A decent summary of why gems will most likely mean that this isn't going to get a lot of play in tournaments.

Plenty of comparisons are made to CvS2, so here's one of my own - imagine that instead of the standard C/A/P/S/N/K Grooves there is only EX Groove (see here for an explanation) and you set up a separate EX Groove for each character in your team, and instead of the 22 different systems to choose from in CvS2 you have about ten times that number. (Not to mention that some of them are patently overpowered - sorry, but one bar really isn't enough for something that lets you escape a mixup for free.) Can you imagine how long the character selection process would take if that was the case? It takes long enough as it is, that's for sure.

Of course, that doesn't even take into account all the other problems mentioned in the article...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yreval wrote: »

Not a bad read, I disagree with what he said here:
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom had a couple of characters that occupied both slots on your two-character team. These giant-size mecha characters recieved a lot of ban debate. Those in favor argued that the game was simply better without them. Due to the subjectivity of the topic, as well as the fact that these characters were available on the character select screen without any unlocking, the characters were left in play. This may have been detrimental to the growth of the game’s community. The game’s life was short and it doesn’t receive much competitive play today. This could be attributed, at least in part, to both the game being available only on the Nintendo Wii and the community’s decision not to ban the giant characters.

I wouldn't pin the death of TvC on the giants AT ALL. As far as I'm aware they're pretty low tier. Regardless of their placement though, I think TvC just died because it was a Wii game.

Nobody got around to banning any characters because nobody plays it.

Also using the logic that "Casual players bought SSF4AE because Ryu on Fire is cool", you could easily say that "Casual Western Players didn't buy TvC because WTF is a Tatsunoko?"

Slapping Wolverine, Deadpool and Spiderman on the cover of a game is going to shift way more units that Gold Lightan.

Sorry Gold Lightan :(

SOC_GX-32_Gold_Lightan_02.jpg
    You have ripped my robot heart from my robot chest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Not a bad read, I disagree with what he said here:

I wouldn't pin the death of TvC on the giants AT ALL. As far as I'm aware they're pretty low tier.

They make the game an absolute chore to watch though (and play as far as I know though I've barely touched TVC). I think that's what the author of that meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

PTX is not a chore to watch at all. Legit character that's viable in tournaments.

Lightan can cause some matches to be slow and repetitive, but he's bottom tier anyway so doesn't see much play.

Being only on wii killed TvC before it even started. If that was on PS3 and 360 it would have been way more popular.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    They make the game an absolute chore to watch though (and play as far as I know though I've barely touched TVC). I think that's what the author of that meant.

I mostly meant that they were bad, so they weren't used, so they weren't really seen much in play.

Two characters you might never see aren't really relevant to a discussion on the decline of a game in my opinion.

I saw a fair few giants matches in the little TVC streaming I've watched, not that anecdotes like that are much use, but I think "might never see" is a bit of an overstatement.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I saw a fair few giants matches in the little TVC streaming I've watched, not that anecdotes like that are much use, but I think "might never see" is a bit of an overstatement.

Alright, I'll give you that. I checked a couple of Top 8s and there's usually one Robot.

I still think being on the Wii was biggest problem TvC had though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

What's the story with wii/gamecube emulation?

i never really got beyond chankast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's come a long way; you can play in 1080p.
    http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/

tvsc3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I cant really see that image, Kiki can you find a bigger one?

Sorry Kiki, that image is 1.8 meg, I don't bother looking at any under 2. Strains my eyes.

http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/oct/27/asukas-boot-street-fighter-x-tekken/

Teaser for a character that was basically revealed 4 months ago. Even the character reveals for this game are pissing me off now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/31/sfxt-using-pandora-to-punish-fireballs/

In work so I can't actually watch the videos. Gory, tell me this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Well, its just like an anti-fireball ultra in SF4, except it does over 50% damage and is probably easier to react to, with its easier motion.

Didn't realise Keits didn't describe whats happening in the video, he's swapping out a weakened Hugo to Pandora Chun on reaction to a fireball and then just inputting her super, it'll be character specific since Chun's super goes through fireballs, it's not got anything to do with Pandora mode letting you just walk through fireballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Description made it sound like Pandora has invincibility upon activation, so can be used to massively punish a mid screen fireball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Whats pandora input?

• Advertisement

down down+MP+MK

Description made it sound like Pandora has invincibility upon activation, so can be used to massively punish a mid screen fireball.

Yeah that's what I thought. Not that bad then but still could make for some massive punishes.

Keits makes a good point about how SFxT's gem system in its current stage, completely fails at what its meant to do, allow you to customize your character to be completely different to someone else using the same character. A slight damage boost or defense boost isn't going to change an entire matchup.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

GorySnake wrote: »
    Keits makes a good point about how SFxT's gem system in its current stage, completely fails at what its meant to do, allow you to customize your character to be completely different to someone else using the same character. A slight damage boost or defense boost isn't going to change an entire matchup.

I think at this point we must accept Capcom are way more interested in the viability of DLC than introducing a true level of customisability to their new FGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jay5669

I think at this point we must accept Capcom are way more interested in the viability of DLC than introducing a true level of customisability to their new FGs.

Yeah aint that the truth, All you have to do is look at Dead Rising 2: off the record's dlc.....Paying to use cheats.....CHEATS, Im sorry but thats a new low for capcom

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

16_sfxtalts07.jpg
    16_sfxtalts06.jpg

Can ya feel the unaduturated hype....? Yea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Yay, more stupid costumes, that'll make it all better.

**** sake Capcom just give us the build from E3 or whenever it was before you took a **** on a perfectly good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

th_MadotsukiVomit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

To me it just seems like a really bad attempt at fan service 'yo FGC, we hear you like characters so we gonna put a character in a character so you play someone while you play someone' Very annoying i'd imagine if i had love for perticular characters 'yey Charlie's back' to 'it's just Steve in a stupid outfit...thanks capcom'

The equivelent for me is seeing Sagat in an Adon outfit...which i now see happening :(

• Advertisement

aeonfusion wrote: »
    To me it just seems like a really bad attempt at fan service 'yo FGC, we hear you like characters so we gonna put a character in a character so you play someone while you play someone' Very annoying i'd imagine if i had love for perticular characters 'yey Charlie's back' to 'it's just Steve in a stupid outfit...thanks capcom'

The equivelent for me is seeing Sagat in an Adon outfit...which i now see happening :(

In fairness though, that's what they always do and some of them end up very cool. Like Balrogs Cracker Jack alt or Deadpools upcoming Cable alt.

Equally some are bad but still wait for it to come out first.

Advertisement