Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers face €10 penalty for not paying car tax online

Options
  • 24-07-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Motor tax: Drivers face €10 penalty for not paying car tax online

Should Eamonn Ryan should pay it out of his own pocket for those unable to get broadband and suffering disconnections on the so called NBS?

It's several screens and if connection drops while you check your insurance or fiddle with wallet to get Credit card, you start over. With dropped connections on Mobile & Dialup you may also be unsure if you completed the transaction.
    The group insisted the introduction of a €10 levy was not a revenue-raising suggestion but aimed at encouraging use of the online system. Such a move would bring in €33m a year which would decline over time.

It also recommended allowing more commercial vehicles renew their motor tax online with a cost-saving implication of €2m.

Savings could also be achieved by extending the online planning applications systems throughout all the local authorities. It reduces the need to scan paper documents and the time needed to validate applications, it advised.

Such a change would slash local authority advertising budgets in half resulting in savings of €3.9m a year.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/motor-tax-drivers-face-euro10-penalty-for-not-paying-car-tax-online-2270974.html

There is also concern for the Elderly and that this was being suggested at a time when the government's digital inclusion funding was coming to an end.
    (though my Dad has better broadband than I and is 80 later this year).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ptotty

It seems your 10 squids less off than everyone else if you are the type of person who only deals in cash.:(
    Not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I don't need a levy to make me to renew motor tax online (it's less fiddly). But then I can (and want to) use computers, can afford to have one in my home, and have a connection that'll cope with online transactions (and at a price I can afford).

Not a revenue-raising exercise? Seems a bit upside-down in that case.

Brings to mind that consultant mentioned in this forum a while back, who had the bright idea of 'encouraging' people to switch to broadband, by making websites impossible to use with dialup (my county's public services website got a redesign with that effect, but it may have been coincidence).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Crap.
    Brings to mind that consultant mentioned in this forum a while back, who had the bright idea of 'encouraging' people to switch to broadband, by making websites impossible to use with dialup (my county's public services website got a redesign with that effect, but it may have been coincidence).

I hope he got treated with the contempt he deserved, preferably involving lots of sticky, foul-smelling substances, rotten vegetables and fruit, and a permanent broadband disconnection so he can learn how the dialup half of the world lives.

Well said. I suspected he made his money flogging image-heavy, bells-and-whistles website design.

I'd guess the levy idea came from Dublin; it certainly didn't come from any of the remoter places, where the internet's most needed but least available (and a car's a necessity).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Fogmatic wrote: »

I'd guess the levy idea came from Dublin;

Of course the "idea" came from some Dublin academics...even though parts of Dublin still don't have broadband either.
    It just shows how out of touch with reality some of these "thinkers" are.

• Advertisement

(never mind)

I was aware through these forums that there are broadband black spots in Dublin (though I doubt that it occurred to the 'thinker'!)
    I imagine that people on dialup in Dublin can get the 'functional internet access' speed of at least 28kbps, though (rather than a theoretical maximum of 16kbps like in my area).

Broadband black spots in Dublin. Imagine that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is paramount to non-cyclists designing cycle lanes, its idiotic.

If you get broadband, live in dublin and everyone you know also has Broadband and can afford it its likely your stuck in a bubble thinking everyone in Ireland has it to. Reality says otherwise sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Cabaal wrote: »
    Reality says otherwise sadly :(

Since when has reality interfered with a good story (or policy)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement