Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating automated controller.

Options
  • 24-07-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi
    Im looking for a controller ie. PLC or equavalant, that will firstly do all the heating controlles but that will also give a temperature display.
    This is what i currently have: Geothermal heat pump whichs heats my underfloor heating. This is controled by 1 central room stat and motorised valve.
    Heatpac 120 oil boiler whichs heats my first floor rads and the hot water. Each of these zones are again controled by individual room stat and cylinder stat and have individual motorised valves.
    There is a 3zone timeclock controlling all of the above.
    What i would like this controller to do is:
    Display the temps of each zone and heat to the desired temps. Display the flow temps of boiler and geothermal. And finally display tha temps of the 2 frost stats that i would install, 1 outside and the other in the attic monitoring the pipes up there (outside froststat didnt prevent these freezing this year).
    Sorry for mumbling on but all help would be grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Hi,
    What system do you currently have controlling the underfloor and rads. Is it the same system up and down and how is it wired. Separate cables from each stat or all wired on a bus (looped).

The Heatmiser system would do most of what you want but the flow temps and frost stat temps might be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Hi knx
    What i have at the moment is a standard hard 3 zone system. The UFH is connected into a manifold and zoned off by a motorised valve. As are the 2 other zones.
    As for the flow temps im not that pushed on it, but would like to have the 2 frost stats/sensor on display.
    Im not familar with the heatmiser system.
    Thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

I've just reread your first post. The pipes in your attic are probably nothing to do with the heating system and so the frost stat would have no effect on them anyway. Obviously I haven't seen your house but the heating pipes will normally be under the floors. When you mention the outside frost stat do you mean the external temperature sensor on the heatpump or does your boiler have a frost stat. If the heating activated automatically during the cold spell them the frost stat has done the job it was supposed to do. I would suggest some kind of heater and insulation to prevent attic pipes from freezing. Doesn't have to be like an oven up there just not freezing. Think there is some kind of heater for just that job.

If you want to put in a system to do what you have described then you are probably going to have to change all the heating controls in the house. Depending of course on what you have already. I'm not sure (and open to correction) if an off the shelf controller/system exists that will do exactly what you want but it is possible. Have a look at heatmiser.co.uk , definitely comes very close I reckon.

By the way I have nothing to do with Heatmiser.

Advertisement