Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silkie hen

Options
  • 24-07-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering would anyone know where i could get a silkie hen (either laying or close enough to point of lay), and from a reputable dealer also - i would love a blue silkie but i don't mind about the colour really. Also i have been told that silkies can attract / carry more diseases than other hens, does anyone know if there is any truth in this? (I currently have 3 ex-bat rhode-island reds, and have recently got a leghorn and a barnefelder (spelling?!))....and i really would like a silkie to finish off my brood!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I hear they don't take to the wet outdoors as well as other breeds, but otherwise they're fine. My cousin has a few, I'm happy with my own breeds.

You should hatch your own if you have the time. Very rewarding, particularly if you have children who'll get the chance to raise the chicks.

(I think it's spelt Barnevelder :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

We have recently gotten a pair of white silkies - a bit young to start laying get - but pretty! We also have lots of fancy bantams - must post up some photos would love to know the breeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i hatched my own last sept, they seem as strong as any other hen and rain doesnt seem to affect them, the make great broody hens

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Have a look on

http://www.irishfowl.com

All kinds of poultry for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 heidimax

Thanks for the info everyone....think i'll definitely have to get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jap gt wrote: »
    i hatched my own last sept, they seem as strong as any other hen and rain doesnt seem to affect them, the make great broody hens

I've heard of their legendary broody abilities. Do their feathers not soil up really easily? I was told they didn't hold up to the muck too well when out and about.

Advertisement