Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Nevore wrote: »
    No he should have been charged with multiple counts of rape, kidnapping, unlawful detention, grievious bodily harm and attempted murder. And there should be a statutory ban on judges allowing time to be served congruently rather than in succession.
    Our justice system is broken beyond all measure and this case is one example of how. He should have served more time BUT the charge of attempted murder should not be made synonymous with murder.

Agree with this. It's ridiculous that sentences can be concurrent; it means that a rapist doesn't serve time for the rape, if they also attempted murder. Because they attempted murder, somehow the rape doesn't matter...???

I also disagree with automatic time off for good behaviour. If I park on a double yellow line, I would expect a punishment. I don't expect a reward for parking in a designated parking area. A prisoner's good behaviour should be expected and required. Any bad behaviour should result in time being added to the original sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    And did my innocuous statement lead you to believe that I don't believe in the rule of law ?

Can you say sanctimonious ? :rolleyes:
    Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Why ?

I want to see make reference to the "rule of law" here again.
    Where in my statement did I say that you don't?
    I have no problem with an ex-convict living in my area because I believe in the rule of law. I don't believe citizens should be taking up arms against people, who by the verdict of their peers in a court of law have discharged their dues to society and are now to be released.
    I may be sanctimonious but that's much better in my eyes than scare mongering on the interweb about a convicts possible location post-release when he hasn't even been released yet. considering the other content of that post was approx zero, it served no other purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nevore wrote: »
    I don't believe citizens should be taking up arms against people

Unless they err in they're, their, and there, eh :D

johngalway wrote: »
    Unless they err in they're, their, and there, eh :D
    Yeah, that's cause for a murderous rampage alright, and I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Any bad behaviour should result in time being added to the original sentence.
    Semantics surely? If I am told I am going down for 10 years but can expect 3 off for good behavior, is that not materially the same as being told I am going for 7 years but 3 more can be added on if I am bold???

• Advertisement

lugha wrote: »
    Semantics surely? If I am told I am going down for 10 years but can expect 3 off for good behavior, is that not materially the same as being told I am going for 7 years but 3 more can be added on if I am bold???
    The way I read it was, ten years sentence: fúck up badly enough and you get 12 or 15 or whatever.
    I rarely see examples of prisoners being brought up on charges other than major assaults and murders.
    All those searches last year for example, how come they weren't all charged with having contraband, and in the case of drugs being found, charged with possession with intent? Anyone busted should have been facing an extra few years on top of whatever they were in for.
    As it currently stands, unless you kill or maim someone, you're pretty much guaranteed to be leaving no later than your original sentence described, no matter what you do, be it handling drugs, assaults etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

caseyann wrote: »
    Could he have something to do with some of the missing women?

I'd say you're thinking of someone else. I don't know a lot about Crerar but some believe that he was involved with Murphy in some of the disappearances, in particular Annie Murphy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Agree with this. It's ridiculous that sentences can be concurrent; it means that a rapist doesn't serve time for the rape, if they also attempted murder. Because they attempted murder, somehow the rape doesn't matter...???

You could argue that pieces of **** like this, now familiar with concurrent sentencing, might be thinking "may as well get as much raping and killing in the next time if i ever do decide to do this again".
    Kinda crazy alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Ann22 wrote: »
    Could he have something to do with some of the missing women?

QUOTE]

I'd say you're thinking of someone else. I don't know a lot about Crerar but some believe that he was involved with Murphy in some of the disappearances, in particular Annie Murphy's.
    The ones they have found and the strangulation of them and place found are all way to similar.

I just can not remember,what his name was.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

lugha wrote: »

No, I think that there should be no automatic time off for good behaviour.

If you get sent down for 10 years, then you should expect to serve no less than 10 years (unless an appeal is upheld, obviously).

Apologies if I wasn't clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

He was in Newbridge at the time of Deirdre Jacob's dissappearance and lived near to where Jo Jo Dullard went missing. He was so organised in the abduction and assault of the Carlow woman, it's difficult to believe it was his first attempt.
    There's no evidence to suggest that he had anything to do with the disappearances of the above women but I'd be highly suspicious.

larry-murphy2.jpg

Just another photo, we all should be able to recognise him.

Yeah he was working doing some carpentry in a local pub/nightclub at the time Deidre Jacob went missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is quite frightening that such evil is going to be unleashed into society.

I have no faith in the justice system or in judges. A person like Larry Murphy should never be released.

It is the victims that get life sentences in this country.

Min wrote: »
    It is quite frightening that such evil is going to be unleashed into society.

I have no faith in the justice system or in judges. A person like Larry Murphy should never be released.

It is the victims that get life sentences in this country.

What about micheal murray also :confused: six women he raped,four he initiated strangle holds on.And he is walking around.If you Google the people who are out its frightening they are not serving longer prison terms.

Dudess wrote: »
    Those disappearances are so chilling. Heard journo who wrote a book on same being interviewed this week - she was giving details of, albeit circumstantial, evidence in relation to him and the Dollard/Jacob cases.

Scary... :(

Murphy hasn't been the only suspect, as far as I remember - wasn't there a Howard guy too?

Thats right,This is a scary read.Robert Howard
    http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller_news/H/HOWARD_robert_lesarian.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

mojesius wrote: »
    His brother was on Miriam O'Callaghan tonight. (The show).

I laughed at the clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

if you are caught red handed , or by dna evidence for a capital crime you should be disposed of , end of story .

and kid rapers are the top of the list , yes im looking at you Father Fiddler .

What about micheal murray also :confused: six women he raped,four he initiated strangle holds on.And he is walking around.If you Google the people who are out its frightening they are not serving longer prison terms.

Thomas Callan from Shanmullagh in Carrickmacross is due out next year too, maybe he's out already. He received 10yrs in 2001 for the abduction(in his car boot), sexual assault and attempted rape of a 17yr old girl and attempted abduction of a 14yr old. He was only 21 at the time so if he serves full term and is released next year he'll only be 31 and bursting to reoffend:(.

johngalway wrote: »

As for the poor girl begging Ahern to keep him in, might as well beg a sadist for mercy. Useless shower.

I'd be fairly shocked if the Justice Minister had any powers to extend prison sentences for prisoners. That's a judicial, not a political perogative. It's why we have seperation of powers.
    I am uncomfortable with the death penalty only because of cases where it was proven after the fact the person was innocent.

I'm uncomfortable with it because I don't believe that state has any business terminating the lives of her citizens.
    This man is the reason why we should bring back the Death Penalty, him and that fella Wayne Dundon down in limerick i would gladly pull the lever* r push the button^,

I would rather the gas chamber be used in ireland

Good for you. Unfortunately for you though, since the capital penalty was excised from the Constitution by an overwhelming majority in 2004, you'll probably have to wait a while before you get to push that particular button.

Its an absolute this disgrace that this guy is getting released. The punishment for attempted murder should be the same as murder as the intent is exactly the same. It was just through pure luck that that girl survived.

One of the problems with this, is that people who might otherwise have survived attacks due to the carelessness of the assailant, will instead die because the attacker will think to himself that he might as well hang for a sheep as lamb, and take extra pains to ensure there as no witnesses.

He's not going to be able to control himself on release, no way. It happens with offenders like him again and again up until they're to old to overpower anyone.:(
    All he has to do is change hair colour:(

No offence intended here, but are you two the same person? Your posts on this matter are slightly hysterical, and your suppositions are just that.

Einhard wrote: »

No offence intended here, but are you two the same person? Your posts on this matter are slightly hysterical, and your suppositions are just that.

Eh....no.. We're not the same person. 'Hysterical'? Really? I don't think either of us sound hysterical:confused:. It is a scary thought though that we'll shortly have a murderous nutcase on the loose. Sounds dramatic I know but it's very much true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not sure what is raised already.

The Miriam O'Callaghan show is on the RTE player on their site.

Larry Murphy's brother is getting shameful treatment from the locals as they fear Larry will be coming back to the area.
    But they haven't even seen each other since 1995 and it was confirmed he won't be moving in with him.

Of course the locals have fears.
    But they lash out at his brother who did nothing wrong at all? Embarrass him in the street and intimidating him and his family/
    Shame on the lot of them :mad:
    And it's this kind of messing which will ensure Larry Murphys location will be kept secure by the gardai, save the locals from themselves

• Advertisement

Eh....no.. We're not the same person. 'Hysterical'? Really? I don't think either of us sound hysterical:confused:. It is a scary thought though that we'll shortly have a murderous nutcase on the loose. Sounds dramatic I know but it's very much true.

It's true he's a violent rapist and a very, very nasty piece of work. There's nothing substantive though to link him with all the murders that yourself and caseyann have mentioned. Bad Man + Murders ≠ Bad Man is Serial Killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Well I'm definitely not going to go into any men's toilets on my own after reading this thread. :eek:

Well I'm definitely not going to go into any men's toilets on my own after reading this thread. :eek:

Are you posted this in the correct thread?
    After Hours has a whole other thread on that subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The girl he abducted from Carlow was taken off guard by a sudden smack in the face in a carpark beside her workplace. It wasn't a lonely road in the dead of night. She probably hadn't even seen him approaching.

He planned that abduction very carefully, it wasn't a case of him attacking her and bundling her into the car.
    I'd be fairly shocked if the Justice Minister had any powers to extend prison sentences for prisoners. That's a judicial, not a political perogative. It's why we have seperation of powers.

He's getting early release for good behaviour though, he hasn't cooperated with Gardai investigating other disappearances and he has refused treatment.

Not very good behaviour imo.

Close up pic of him here. Quite distinctive looking. I've no doubt that he will be photographed as soon as he is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

This piece of dirt should be castrated. The law sucks big time. This thing can do what he likes to whom he likes on the outside but as long as he's a good boy in prison he gets one third off his sentence, one third foor good behaviour, is it a prison or a schoo l???????

hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Absurdum wrote: »
    He's getting early release for good behaviour though, he hasn't cooperated with Gardai investigating other disappearances

How does one define not co-operating though. Denying anything to do with it is still co-operating
    and he has refused treatment.

Not very good behaviour imo.

This is much more significant imo. Thought that should have been used against him. Though he probably would have done the treatment if it could have been. To be quite honest I don't believe sex offenders like him can be rehabilitated anyway

hitbit wrote: »
    This thing can do what he likes to whom he likes on the outside but as long as he's a good boy in prison he gets one third off his sentence, one third foor good behaviour, is it a prison or a schoo l???????

hitbit

Not sure where you got one third from.

He got 25%, all prisoners (unless it's life or a few exceptions) do unless they lose it for bad behavior
    He isn't getting special treatment, just the same as any other prisoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

can go anywhere for up to 7 days.
    Big deal. I can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

That clip of the brother just shows how totally useless Miriam O'Callaghan really is. From what I remember of the show on Saturday night the guy said he hasn't seen Larry Murphy since 1995. Then a few minutes later he gives the audience the idea that he's been in talking to him in prison trying to get him to get help etc...and yet Miriam didn't pull him up on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭sickofwaiting

It's true he's a violent rapist and a very, very nasty piece of work. There's nothing substantive though to link him with all the murders that yourself and caseyann have mentioned. Bad Man + Murders ≠ Bad Man is Serial Killer.

For god sake. Obviously there isn't enough evidence that will lead to a conviction in court. But 6 young women went missing in the mid-late 90's all from the same region, the same region where murphy was finally caught. The disappearances stopped when he was put away. It doesn't take sherlock holmes to figure that this guy, who was put away for the rape and attempted murder of a young women in a highly organised preplanned attack is by far the most likely culprit for the other murders. The gardai obviously think he did it judging by the amount of supervision they are planning on giving him once he is released.

Big man? Being the ''big man'' has nothing to do with it, him being a ''psycho serial killer'' has nothing to do with it. If his victim was your sister could you just forget about it? I don't think I could. I'm not a violent person but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that allow you do things that you wouldn't normally do.

It's all well and good being an internet warrior. But IRL you would do nothing. There have been thousands upon thousands of people attacked/raped/murdered down the years, how many revenge attacks to you see in the paper? None apart, from gangland revenge attacks. Joe Public never goes on a Kevin Bacon style Death Sentence style rampage. It is just not in the make up of the average person to go and commit murder, and joe public is all too aware that the consequences of murder will be a life sentence in prison, and no average jo would be able to swallow that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement