Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Renn wrote: »
    That clip of the brother just shows how totally useless Miriam O'Callaghan really is. From what I remember of the show on Saturday night the guy said he hasn't seen Larry Murphy since 1995. Then a few minutes later he gives the audience the idea that he's been in talking to him in prison trying to get him to get help etc...and yet Miriam didn't pull him up on this?

the impression i got from it was that he had spoken to him in the early days in prison, asked him if he was involved in the other cases etc, but that since 1995 he had no contact with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah but as a presenter you have to pull them up on these things. She was totally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

what a waste of money:eek:
    how much does a .357 bullet cost???

What price on our constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

bytey wrote: »
    if you are caught red handed , or by dna evidence for a capital crime you should be disposed of , end of story .

and kid rapers are the top of the list , yes im looking at you Father Fiddler .

Stop watching CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

sam34 wrote: »
    the impression i got from it was that he had spoken to him in the early days in prison, asked him if he was involved in the other cases etc, but that since 1995 he had no contact with him.

But wasn't he only arrested around 2000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Are you posted this in the correct thread?
    After Hours has a whole other thread on that subject

I was inserting a catheter. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

But wasn't he only arrested around 2000?

yeah thats right actually

:confused: i could have sworn the brother said he hadnt seen him since 95

he definitely said he asked him if he had any connection to the other missing women, and that larry said no.

will watch the clip again and listen more carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

My first thought when I saw this was I wonder how long it'll be before another young woman disappears?.

Now I know there is no cast iron proof he had anything do with any of the missing women in the 90s but at the same time the Gardai don't just name you a suspect without good reason and the fact that no women have vanished since says something.

We can only hope the Gardai will keep a close eye on Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

2005 maybe.
    He said all he wanted was "peace" and stated that he had not seen his brother since 2005.

Brother fears rapist behind missing girls

SUSPECT: Murphy told his family 'I just flipped'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Ann22 wrote: »
    Thomas Callan from Shanmullagh in Carrickmacross is due out next year too, maybe he's out already. He received 10yrs in 2001 for the abduction(in his car boot), sexual assault and attempted rape of a 17yr old girl and attempted abduction of a 14yr old. He was only 21 at the time so if he serves full term and is released next year he'll only be 31 and bursting to reoffend:(.

Ah the justice system is so wonderful.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

sam34 wrote: »
    yeah thats right actually

:confused: i could have sworn the brother said he hadnt seen him since 95

he definitely said he asked him if he had any connection to the other missing women, and that larry said no.

will watch the clip again and listen more carefully!

I thought he said 95 in clip too. I was wondering why Miriam didn't pull him up on it. She was quite nervous though mighta missed it.

I reckon he meant to say 2005. Miriam probalby already knew they last spoke in 2005 and therefore didnt pick up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Castration would be a better solution than tagging that animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

For god sake. Obviously there isn't enough evidence that will lead to a conviction in court. But 6 young women went missing in the mid-late 90's all from the same region, the same region where murphy was finally caught. The disappearances stopped when he was put away. It doesn't take sherlock holmes to figure that this guy, who was put away for the rape and attempted murder of a young women in a highly organised preplanned attack is by far the most likely culprit for the other murders. The gardai obviously think he did it judging by the amount of supervision they are planning on giving him once he is released.

Yeah and in most of those cases you mention there's other strong suspects. People who knew the victims. I'm all for some sensationalism as the next guy but there's nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Castration would be a better solution than tagging that animal.
    It's been consistently shown not to work. Rapists aren't after sex, they'd just find a hooker if that was the case. They're not even looking for violence and sex. They're looking for power. You can rape with a stick as easily as a penis.

Another matter to take into account is that castration has been found, in the States, to show no signs of lowering recidivism rates. Considering the effects can be counteracted by a regimen of testosterone supplements that's not particularly surprising.

And before someone references depo-provera, that's only been shown to work with pedophiles. For whatever reasons, it's not effective on run of the mill rapists. Again, not really surprising considering the differing motives reported by pedophiles and adult-rapists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Abraham wrote: »
    What about fitting him with a chip as part of an extensive monitoring arrangement ? Rig it so it only activates if he gone on erection.
    That way there's minimal cost to the tax payer and the Guards need only respond to activations. Very cost effective !

So every time he has a J. Arthur the Guards have to call around?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bunnybaby7000

Anybody else worried about this!
    interesting article

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Suspected-Serial-Killer-Will-Roam-Free-In-Ireland
    Why Suspected Serial Killer will be Able to Roam Free after his Release, when he is freed in 12 days - 11th August 2010.
    There has been much speculation in sections of the Irish media recently that suggests that when suspected serial killer Larry Murphy is released from jail (in a few weeks time) having served 15 years for the rape and attempted murder of a young women he will be obliged to tell the Gardai (Irish Police) where he is living at all times. There is also speculation that the nation's women need not be concerned about Murphy's release as he will be under constant Garda supervision and surveillance.

However, Larry Murphy will not be required to give his details to Gardai and he most certainly won’t be under 24/7 surveillance by a team of up to 12 detectives, as suggested by some ill-informed sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

john o donohue is a serial killer?:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i'm shaking in my little jimmy choo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Interesting point in that link:
    Many Government Ministers spend much of their time trying to please the lurid tabloids, a tabloid industry that makes its bread and butter from exploiting men, women and children through their advertised perverted sex chat lines and sexual imagery.

Something we tend to overlook. The papers giving out about abuse and they ironically advertising sex lines with pics of teens!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

He could like, kill you or something!

john o donohue is a serial killer?:eek:

read the article under that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

bout time ireland had a serial killer worth his salt...it was starting to get embarrassing we'd no homegrown, low budget, straight to DVD serial killer movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

bout time ireland had a serial killer worth his salt...it was starting to get embarrassing we'd no homegrown, low budget, straight to DVD serial killer movies

I know it's AH, but Jeez man show some restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Didn't we already give out about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I reckon he's unlikely to reoffend tbh. He'll be watched non-stop by the Gardai and the Helen Lovejoy Media Alliance for the Protection of Sensationalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

He's high risk to re-offend. The crime he was locked up for was nothing short of brutal. And since he has been locked up women have stopped disappearing mysteriously in a certain area.

The animal should have a bullet with his name on it.

sex offenders have a get out clause
    'no fixed abode' 15% of them do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Does this mean that Catherine Thomas and Marty Whealn will get the fcuk out of our faces on spin the wheel again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Kasabian wrote: »
    I know it's AH, but Jeez man show some restraint.

i'd be showing the same lack of restraint if i bumped into the f'ucker on the street, at least thats something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement