Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

I for one won't sleep any less soundly after August 11th. I believe the Gardai will carefully monitor this man.

It's our laws that have let us down here, okay, the guy served his sentence, but during that time, he refused to engage with professionals and hasn't undergone any kind of rehabilitation. As with any criminal, especially the murderous/sexual predator kind, this should form part of their sentence. This guy is going to emerge from prison with the exact same mindset as he entered it, scary.

But as I've said above, I don't think this animal will get much chance to harm anyone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

diddledum wrote: »
    I for one won't sleep any less soundly after August 11th. I believe the Gardai will carefully monitor this man.

It's our laws that have let us down here, okay, the guy served his sentence, but during that time, he refused to engage with professionals and hasn't undergone any kind of rehabilitation. As with any criminal, especially the murderous/sexual predator kind, this should form part of their sentence. This guy is going to emerge from prison with the exact same mindset as he entered it, scary.

But as I've said above, I don't think this animal will get much chance to harm anyone again.

I hope your right and some other mother , daughter , sister doesn't end up on the missing list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Kasabian wrote: »
    I hope your right and some other mother , daughter , sister doesn't end up on the missing list.

or son? i heard jail makes people really friendly to men

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Yeah a local Drogheda man was arrested for that if memory serves me

Though I could be totally wrong

I'm pretty sure a guy called Michael Murphy is serving time for her murder. He followed her from a building site he was working on when she walked by on her way to Newgrange.

bout time ireland had a serial killer worth his salt...it was starting to get embarrassing we'd no homegrown, low budget, straight to DVD serial killer movies
    I know it's AH, but Jeez man show some restraint.
    i'd be showing the same lack of restraint if i bumped into the f'ucker on the street, at least thats something

So you wouldn't show restraint if you ran into this alleged "serial killer" on the street , but in your earlier post you seemed happy that Ireland had a srial killer worth his salt.

You confuse me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 bunnybaby7000

diddledum wrote: »

this guy wanted help... but there was none, how bad is our system!

seriously in this day and age there is no program for sex offenders to maybe get to the source of why they offend.. and maybe stop them committing further offences....

I've always thought putting them together in the one area of prison isn't such a good idea... I imagine they learn from each other!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Exclusive-Interview-With-A-Convicted-Sex-Offender

pmcmahon wrote: »
    or son? i heard jail makes people really friendly to men

No only if you have inclinations towards homosexuality to begin with although the lenght of your sentance might be a factor. :pac:

I found a **** a day kept the cell mate away.

Jelly2 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a guy called Michael Murphy is serving time for her murder. He followed her from a building site he was working on when she walked by on her way to Newgrange.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/murphy-is-still-prime-suspect-over-deirdre-2027082.html

Larry Murphy was working in Newbridge for the week before she disappeared. He also stalked the Carlow girl for a month before abducting her :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/murphy-is-still-prime-suspect-over-deirdre-2027082.html

Larry Murphy was working in Newbridge for the week before she disappeared. He also stalked the Carlow girl for a month before abducting her :eek:

Not sure why you quoted me! I was answering a question about Bettina Poeschel, the German student!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

They are meant to be making a movie about one of the missing women.

• Advertisement

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Not sure why you quoted me! I was answering a question about Bettina Poeschel, the German student!

oops.. sorry my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

this guy wanted help... but there was none, how bad is our system!

seriously in this day and age there is no program for sex offenders to maybe get to the source of why they offend.. and maybe stop them committing further offences....

I've always thought putting them together in the one area of prison isn't such a good idea... I imagine they learn from each other!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Exclusive-Interview-With-A-Convicted-Sex-Offender

From what I've read about the man (in the loosest sense of the word), he outright refused any kind of help.

We actually do have a rehabilitation project, although woefully inadequate. And this seems to be elective, so what little help we can offer these individuals may or may not be taken up by the offender. It surely begs the question, why do we present it as an option. In other countries, it would form a part of the sentencing and indeed the offender can be remanded for longer if it is shown that they have not been reformed sufficiently.

With regard to Larry Murphy and surveillance, the Gardai (and this came from an official spokesperson) said that he will be monitored at all times. I'm choosing to believe this source rather than the one you've quoted above. If the Gardai can keep known gangland criminals alive and protected I'm sure they can keep this guy pinned down.

I wonder does he owe anyone for drugs . I am sure he does , he must , maybe someone should look into that . There must be some gangland figure out there that he owes or has been laughing at. Thats it he has being laughing at all of them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ann22 wrote: »
    Thomas Callan from Shanmullagh in Carrickmacross is due out next year too, maybe he's out already. He received 10yrs in 2001 for the abduction(in his car boot), sexual assault and attempted rape of a 17yr old girl and attempted abduction of a 14yr old. He was only 21 at the time so if he serves full term and is released next year he'll only be 31 and bursting to reoffend:(.

Rabble rabble. How the hell do you know what this guy is going to be bursting to do when he gets out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

So you wouldn't show restraint if you ran into this alleged "serial killer" on the street , but in your earlier post you seemed happy that Ireland had a srial killer worth his salt.

You confuse me

dude, AH. a little black humour ffs. you hardly think i'm happy that this scumbag is gonna be out...i've a wife and daughter - not that you'd know that - but i (what should have been obvious) wasn't serious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Rabble rabble. How the hell do you know what this guy is going to be bursting to do when he gets out?

Sex offenders usually find if hard to control their urges especially after being restrained. Hopefully this man will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Absurdum wrote: »
    He planned that abduction very carefully, it wasn't a case of him attacking her and bundling her into the car.

Yeah he was waiting for her 'til she finished work..imagine:(.

Does he sound like the type of person who will be reformed anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not one for kneejerk rabble-rousing/scaremongering/hysteria, but I think it's fair to feel concern re this guy.

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm not one for kneejerk rabble-rousing/scaremongering/hysteria, but I think it's fair to feel concern re this guy.

Just people to be aware,i agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sam34 wrote: »
    yeah thats right actually

:confused: i could have sworn the brother said he hadnt seen him since 95

he definitely said he asked him if he had any connection to the other missing women, and that larry said no.

will watch the clip again and listen more carefully!
    I think you may be wrong. He was still his brother, and as horrific as the crime was, he remained a brother until it became clear that he wasn't telling him everything and he wasn't showing any remorse, then he never spoke to him again. he mentioned there was "rumours" of him making arrrangement to meet Larry recently, but they were lies.

I think you may be wrong. He was still his brother, and as horrific as the crime was, he remained a brother until it became clear that he wasn't telling him everything and he wasn't showing any remorse, then he never spoke to him again. he mentioned there was "rumours" of him making arrrangement to meet Larry recently, but they were lies.

No he said he hadnt seen him since 95,i would say just nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He was mentioned last night on the TV3 programme about the disappearances of the three women in the Kildare-Wicklow area in the 90s; McCarrick, Dullard and Jacob.

Now, how the hell would this guy ever get a fair trial if he were ever to be charged. The programme last night was a little OTT in their views on him
    and these women. We all know how sensitive the justice system can be. Plenty of cases have been thrown out
    for over exposure and leaks etc.

BTW, the guy is depraved. How the hell did this guy get 10 years for so for such a depraved and vicious crime? He attempted to murder that woman, battered her, raped her several times and has destroyed her life.

Honest? If this guy was to be moved into your estate, would you make a conscious decision to kill him? I think I would. I mean, married and with a wife and family, could you really take the risk that this menace could rape and murder your loved ones? Pure self preservation would be my justification.

I'd take my punishment. I'd rather be alive, my loved ones alive and well, than forever worrying about this animal. My defence: Simple, it was either he died or I and my loved ones lived in fear and were potential murder victims.

Edit: He received 14 years. Ah, "good behaviour" got him out early......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Larry Murphy the rapist who attepted to murder his victim in the Dublin mountains in 2000 but for a couple of hunters who interupted him is to be let free on our streets on the 11th of August after serving 10 years of a 15 year sentence.

Yet again we are failed by the system as it is only a matter of time before this animal strikes again and somebodys mother, wife, girlfriend, sister will be his next innocent victim.

Very scary and sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have the pitchfork and rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Is he not out yet?
    He has been "due to be released in the next couple of days" for the past two weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Threads Merged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

i'd be showing the same lack of restraint if i bumped into the f'ucker on the street, at least thats something

I take you know that the b in biffo stands for big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

I have a quick question...

What are the laws regarding someone like Murphy leaving Ireland once he is released?
    And if he did leave Ireland to, for example Spain, would the police there be informed and would he have the same monitoring he would get from the gardai here, only abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Terry wrote: »
    Is he not out yet?
    He has been "due to be released in the next couple of days" for the past two weeks.

he's due out august 11th afaik

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement