Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Old People

• 24-07-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

I was in with my granny in hospital and a foreign doctor came in to do the rounds and she told him straight out i have health insurance i wont be having a silly n****r doctor :o i didn't know where to look or what to say.

I just told one of the lads and he had a similar story with his Gran dad and other stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

MiciG91 wrote: »
    I was in my granny in hospital and a foreign doctor came in to do the rounds and she told him straight out i have health insurance i wont be having a silly n****r doctor :o i didn't know where to look or what to say.

I just told one of the lads and he had a similar story with his Gran dad and other stories.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Ah good old fashioned racism, there's nothing like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I was in my granny in hospital and a foreign doctor came in to do the rounds and she told him straight out i have health insurance i wont be having a silly n****r doctor :o i didn't know where to look or what to say.

In your granny :eek:

Edit . done ^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Did the doc handle it well? They tend to be used to this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you were in your granny, then came home to toss off to a photo of your daughter and her friends? you're fcked up man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Kasabian wrote: »
    GILF ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Goonerette

I was in my granny

Never mind what you're Granny said, that's even worse.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Reminds me of being with my granny on a bus in London and there was a particularly pungent black fella sitting across from us. She wondered aloud was it the fact that it was dirt under their skin that made the blacks both black and smelly....

RIP ya mad eejit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I work in a tailors. I have an old woman customer who consistently refers to any dark brown trousers as nígger brown".
    I don't think they really mean it.

Edit: Silly swear filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Edit . done ^^^^^^

Your talking to the guy who's wife catches him jacking off to pictures of his daughters friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Edit . done ^^^^^^

I was gonna remove my thanks but that'd be mean:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Your granny like the other ancient racists are dying out so those doc's won't have to put up with it for too long. :eek:

Sad (not because of the racist tendancies) but, true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

LOL poor MiciG91 just cant get a break tonight :pac:

In your granny :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

a mates da drives a taxi. an old woman got in during the earth quake in haiti. he says thats terrible news in haiti, she turns and says " i know, but my son says they're the worst kind of nxxxers":eek::eek: she was about 80.
    he nearly crashed the taxi.

BluesBerry wrote: »
    LOL poor MiciG91 just cant get a break tonight :pac:

In your granny :pac::D

And his mate done his Grandad :eek::eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nevore wrote: »
    I work in a tailors. I have an old woman customer who consistently refers to any dark brown trousers as nígger brown".

That was legitimate colour back in the day, there was a type of shoe polish actually called that my dad told me once.

It's funny though, the older generation in ireland(and a great deal of the younger too) are pretty much inheritently racist in this country. My cousin was recently around with her boyfriend who is black. My mum keeps saying things like, "Oh well isn't he awful black!", in the past shes come out with the old "They're awful cute when they're babies". She doesnt realise this constitutes a form of racism too, its pretty harmless though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That was legitimate colour back in the day, there was a type of shoe polish actually called that my dad told me once.

It's funny though, the older generation in ireland(and a great deal of the younger too) are pretty much inheritently racist in this country. My cousin was recently around with her boyfriend who is black. My mum keeps saying things like, "Oh well isn't he awful black!", in the past shes come out with the old "They're awful cute when they're babies". She doesnt realise this constitutes a form of racism too, its pretty harmless though.

True, and this is the type of 'racism' that I see the most, which is technically racism but really it's more of a blunt curiosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Ah there's no real harm meant by them, it's just ignorance but I don't think it's out of badness.

Still is, Chinese furniture occassionally slips past the PC border police labelled that. There was a news story a year or two ago...
    When the new chocolate-coloured sofa set was delivered to her Brampton home, Doris Moore was stunned to see packing labels describing the shade as "******-brown."

She and husband Douglas purchased a sofa, loveseat and chair in dark brown leather last week from Vanaik Furniture and Mattress store on Dundas St. E.

Moore, 30, who describes herself as an African-American born and raised in New York, said it was her 7-year-old daughter who pointed out the label just after delivery men from the Mississauga furniture store left.

"She's very curious and she started reading the labels," Moore explained. "She said, `Mommy, what is nig ... ger brown?' I went over and just couldn't believe my eyes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Was at a swimming pool with my youngest son a few years ago..He was aged 4 at the time. There was a huge black guy in the pool and my son who was standing beside him tapped him on his arm. He then asked the man if he was made of chocolate!!!:eek:

I nearly fell on the floor with shock and the black man was really not impressed. I scooped up my young lad and got outta the pool as fast as I could all the while trying not to let the black guy see me laughing......

it was just so funny cos my son asked it so earnestly and innocently:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a color called Niger brown...might be the source of the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Was at a swimming pool with my youngest son a few years ago..He was aged 4 at the time. There was a huge black guy in the pool and my son who was standing beside him tapped him on his arm. He then asked the man if he was made of chocolate!!!:eek:

I nearly fell on the floor with shock and the black man was really not impressed. I scooped up my young lad and got outta the pool as fast as I could all the while trying not to let the black guy see me laughing......

LOL Brilliant! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

True, and this is the type of 'racism' that I see the most, which is technically racism but really it's more of a blunt curiosity

Yeah there's no malice in it at all. Sure a black person was something you'd never see in the west before the late 90s,not around where i live anyway.

There's a color called Niger brown...might be the source of the confusion.

Yank ? :pac:

surprised the guy didn't find it funny too, kid was only 4 ffs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ah children.:pac:
    If I was in an area where mostly black people live and a little child asked me if I was made of marshmellows or something I'd piss myself laughing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

That is funny. Kids say the craziest things; people need to have a sense of humor.

• Advertisement

storm2811 wrote: »
    Ah children.:pac:
    If I was in an area where mostly black people live and a little child asked me if I was made of marshmellows or something I'd piss myself laughing!

Just as well you're not in a pool then.

Since we now seem to be collecting evidence, anyone have a link to a legit version of the Johnny Cash classic, "Ship Those Níggers Back"?
    For some reason, there doesn't seem to be a copy on YouTube. :pac:

Since we now seem to be collecting evidence, anyone have a link to a legit version of the Johnny Cash classic, "Ship Those Níggers Back"?
    For some reason, there doesn't seem to be a copy on YouTube. :pac:

never heard of that, was johnny racist or was it satirical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My dad has a black Seat Ibiza Mk1 stored at home. A plate on the inside of the boot lid lists the car's colour as "Negro" - the car is 20 years old and I'd assume it wouldn't be allowed now.

never heard of that, was johnny racist or was it satirical?
    Upon looking for it, research says it might have been Jonny Rebel...
    Last.fm have it credited to Cash though. I dunno.

Edit. Found it on Youtube. It's Rebel. And... not as funny as I thought it was. Pretty much straight up racist.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    My dad has a black Seat Ibiza Mk1 stored at home. A plate on the inside of the boot lid lists the car's colour as "Negro" - the car is 20 years old and I'd assume it wouldn't be allowed now.

You assume incorrecto, hombre.

I remember watching that, could not believe what i just heard. Classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I jokingly asked a guy in work if he usually drinks Chocolate Negro's. Seeing as he had some on his desk.

Thinking back, that could have turned out back for me had the PC Brigade been close by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

holy ****, first time seeing that. pat has out done himself there, hes a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Racist old people are hiliarious...

It's mad how it was acceptable back in the day

Look at this film trailer. Yes, it's a real film back in the 70s.

1:20 of the video is quality.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »

the word Negro is short for negroid, it should be no more offensive than calling a white person caucasian(short for caucasoid). people from the far east are mongoloid which also sounds offensive but is actually a scientific term too.

Negro is also spainish for black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

you were in your granny, then came home to toss off to a photo of your daughter and her friends? you're fcked up man!

I think it's you thats fcuked up to have such a thought on your mind.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

the word Negro is short for negroid, it should be no more offensive than calling a white person caucasian(short for caucasoid). people from the far east are mongoloid which also sounds offensive but is actually a scientific term too.

Negro is just Spanish for black, nowt offensive about it. But the same word in English is very dodgy, scientific or not.

(just saw your edit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

But it's contextual. That word is just really, really out of date; does anyone younger than 55 actually use it anymore (in the English-speaking world anyway)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

surprised the guy didn't find it funny too, kid was only 4 ffs :D

But who can say why he reacted as he did?
    Perhaps, just before this, he would have been delighted by any reference to his chocolate-coloured complexion.
    Perhaps he had even given himself a nickname that reflected his pride in it; 'sexual chocolate' or somesuch.
    Perhaps he had just been dumped by some girl that very day and was at the pool in the vain hope that a swim would ease his mind and deflect his thoughts from the fact that his very perception of himself had just been reduced to tatters.
    I'm going to assume that this was the case and so must applaud the man for simply betraying a mild disapproval at the child's cruel comment, unwitting as it may have been.
    Given the circumstances, he showed uncommon decorum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I sometimes wonder if my granny reads and posts on AH.

She is constantly bringing out the "They took our jobs" line (but she's serious :(). She moans for several hours about the fact that there are foreign people working in the post office when she collects her pension.

She cites her and my grandfather being told to leave Northern Ireland immediately in the middle of the night when the war ended, and being told they only had enough jobs for "themselves" up there, as a valid reason for it being ok to tell foreign workers here to leave now.

She never says anything to their faces though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Yup and SEAT is a spanish make!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

ascanbe wrote: »
    But who can say why he reacted as he did?
    Perhaps, just before this, he would have been delighted by any reference to his chocolate-coloured complexion.
    Perhaps he had even given himself a nickname that reflected his pride in it; 'sexual chocolate' or somesuch.
    Perhaps he had just been dumped by some girl that very day and was at the pool in the vain hope that a swim would ease his mind and deflect his thoughts from the fact that his very perception of himself had just been reduced to tatters.
    I'm going to assume that this was the case and so must applaud the man for simply betraying a mild disapproval at the child's cruel comment, unwitting as it may have been.
    Given the circumstances, he showed uncommon decorum.

Perhaps you think too much?

But it's contextual. That word is just really, really out of date; does anyone younger than 55 actually use it anymore (in the English-speaking world anyway)?

good god no! no-one i know anyway. :)

some anthropologists according to wiki.

KungPao wrote: »
    Negro is just Spanish for black, nowt offensive about it. But the same word in English is very dodgy, scientific or not.

(just saw your edit)

Duh! And it being a Spanish car, lol. *puts on dunce cap*

• Advertisement
Advertisement