Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Old People

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I remember watching that, could not believe what i just heard. Classic.

He announced his resignation the following week, and the last people he interviewed were the broadcast complaints folk

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ascanbe wrote: »
    But who can say why he reacted as he did?
    Perhaps, just before this, he would have been delighted by any reference to his chocolate-coloured complexion.
    Perhaps he had even given himself a nickname that reflected his pride in it; 'sexual chocolate' or somesuch.
    Perhaps he had just been dumped by some girl that very day and was at the pool in the vain hope that a swim would ease his mind and deflect his thoughts from the fact that his very perception of himself had just been reduced to tatters.
    I'm going to assume that this was the case and so must applaud the man for simply betraying a mild disapproval at the child's cruel comment, unwitting as it may have been.
    Given the circumstances, he showed uncommon decorum.

Of course you're right to a degree. He had every right to be offended, doesn't mean he should have been though.

Are 4 year olds capable of genuine, cold, calculated cruelty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Perhaps you think too much?

Or pehaps i wasn't being entirely serious; though i was making serious point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Of course you're right to a degree. He had every right to be offended, doesn't mean he should have been though.

Are you serious? Offended by a comment from a 4 year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

What's the word for a person from a small island off the coast of Europe who finds similarities between the Spanish description of "black" and its similarity to an offensive term for black people worthy of use of the phrase "probably be banned"?

Edit: or "wouldn't be allowed now"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

But who can say why he reacted as he did?
    Perhaps, just before this, he would have been delighted by any reference to his chocolate-coloured complexion.
    Perhaps he had even given himself a nickname that reflected his pride in it; 'sexual chocolate' or somesuch.
    Perhaps he had just been dumped by some girl that very day and was at the pool in the vain hope that a swim would ease his mind and deflect his thoughts from the fact that his very perception of himself had just been reduced to tatters.
    I'm going to assume that this was the case and so must applaud the man for simply betraying a mild disapproval at the child's cruel comment, unwitting as it may have been.
    Given the circumstances, he showed uncommon decorum.

You wouldn't by any chance have been in Leisureland swimming pool in Galway on July 5th 2005???:p

Only joking bud;)

I didn't say they were; you should read my post again.
    I was also joking, to a certain degree.

You wouldn't by any chance have been in Leisureland swimming pool in Galway on July 5th 2005???:p

Only joking bud;)

Give a brother a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

My granny often refers to protestants up north as "Joeys" or "one of themselves". . . .Never heard anyone else use those phrases, could just be her:D!!
    Also we never have our American relatives over visiting, its always those "yanks".

She refers to coloured people as "blackies" . . .

Though in fairness to her she has never used any of these terms in front of these people . . . . . . THANK GOD!!

• Advertisement

Give a brother a break.

Ah jaysus, I'm only messin'with ya!!;)

Edit: Sorry, givin the brother a break!!!!!
    I'm a bit slow on the uptake tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

What's the word for a person from a small island off the coast of Europe who finds similarities between the Spanish description of "black" and its similarity to an offensive term for black people worthy of use of the phrase "probably be banned"?

Que?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are you serious? Offended by a comment from a 4 year old?

no i'm not serious,read my earlier post! :)

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    My granny often refers to protestants up north as "Joeys" or "one of themselves". . . .Never heard anyone else use those phrases, could just be her:D!!
    Also we never have our American relatives over visiting, its always those "yanks".

Though in fairness to her she has never used any of these terms in front of these people . . . . . . THANK GOD!!

This thread reminds me of the Chris Rock skit where he claims the most racist people in America are old black men. I just think once people get to a certain age, they don't really give a fcuk about what anyone else thinks and they are too old and tired to change their ways.

Plus they are kind of funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I give you the daddy of all old racist people

no i'm not serious,read my earlier post! :)

Sorry, the comments are popping up too fast and I am always about 3 minutes behind!

• Advertisement

luv-eirexx wrote: »

My dad would've referred to black people as "darkies" when we were much younger but it was never meant in a bad way and he certainly wouldn't now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i remember as kids,bout 25 yrs ago, when my da would be driving us home from a rugby match(ten pints on him) down the south circular road, he'd spot a black man and shout "look at the black man" at which point we'd all jump up to the window(no seat belts) to get a look at some un-suspecting black man going about his business:eek::eek:
    how times have changed, for the better i might add.
    old irish people are from a different world.

KungPao wrote: »
    Que?

Not directed at you, amigo.

"My aul man used to be real open minded about everything"

that was until the whole wife swapping thing went tits up!

Sorry, the comments are popping up too fast and I am always about 3 minutes behind!

threads are fairly hectic on AH i have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wonder if we will all turn into raving racists in our later years?

Is it a natural progression? :eek:

What's this all about now? If you have something to say then say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I remember years ago my dad used to play football and there was a guy on the team that everyone used to call N!gger Doyle. Funny thing was, he wasn't black or brown or any colour you would associate with this word.

The really strange thing was that there were two black brothers on the team too and inexplicably they used to call him N!gger too!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

My aul man used to be real open minded about everything, now he's just cynical and bitter and refers to all foreigners as 'cunts'

Can't wait to move out, 3 weeks!!

Good luck with the move :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Till Death Us Do Part was ahead of its time. Even if it was new today it would be ahead of its time

people avoid whole subjects now out of fear of being branded a racist, how is that any better than someone being open with their opinions without actually hurting anybody, and actively engaging with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My neighbour (in her 60s) said to my other neighbour (a black man of about 70, born and bred in Dublin) "Fair play to you - working like a black" while he was out scrubbing his windows.

He just laughed but she was completely mortified.

Karsini wrote: »
    What's this all about now? If you have something to say then say it.

I think that if you think the word "negro" as a colour description on a Spanish product would "not be allowed now" then you either don't understand the meaning of the word or the world or possibly both.

Comprende?

people avoid whole subjects now out of fear of being branded a racist, how is that any better than someone being open with their opinions without actually hurting anybody, and actively engaging with them?

Internet content suggest otherwise. The YouTube comments on "Ebony and Ivory" are worth a look if you're starved of non-racially-sensitive opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Out with the folks (both in their 70's) before we got married and the da asks are we having any music in the church for the wedding. Told him we were getting a gospel choir to which he replied "oh right" with a curious look on his face. Anyway we carried on chatting away when all of a sudden he shouts out "what? Blacks?" Nearly wet myself laughing as the OH went about explaining it to him

My neighbour (in her 60s) said to my other neighbour (a black man of about 70, born and bred in Dublin) "Fair play to you - working like a black" while he was out scrubbing his windows.

He just laughed but she was completely mortified.

That was a very common saying which many people still say without realising they're doing, me included if I'm honest!!!:o

Have often caught myself just in time and have said instead "working like a mad thing"!!

Definitely not meant to be offensive or racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

My Mam had 2 dogs 1 called n1gger and 1 called Bimbo in the 50's and 60's

Also my gran has turned into the most unpredictable person imaginable you will never know what she will come out with

and think of the dirty auld one from naked camera and thats my gran the filth that has started to come out of her mouth lately

you call her up on some things she said she pretends she has the auld alzimers and blatantly says she didnt say that or conviently "forgets" in her late 70s and still sharp as a tack :D

old people you gotta love em :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

creggy wrote: »
    Racist old people are hiliarious...

It's mad how it was acceptable back in the day

Look at this film trailer. Yes, it's a real film back in the 70s.

1:20 of the video is quality.

That is hilarious.

That was a very common saying which many people still say without realising they're doing, me included if I'm honest!!!:o

Have often caught myself just in time and have said instead "working like a mad thing"!!

I always thought it was funny that people said this, because the other stereotype about black people is that they are lazy...how can these two co-exist? :confused:

I'm aware of the phrase, but it's pretty bad to actually say it to a black person!

I always thought it was funny that people said this, because the other stereotype about black people is that they are lazy...how can these two co-exist? :confused:

That is an old saying I think it went back to the times of the slavery in america you would find a lot of older people using this I dont hear it too often now

they were worked hard but lazy if you spared the rod.

You're thinking of Mexicans. Black people were slaves.

You're thinking of Mexicans. Black people were slaves.

What?

I've no idea.....

For me it was a saying I grew up hearing and something I said without thinking about it at all!! It would've been akin to me saying something such as "sweating like a pig" or "mad as a hatter".....

I wouldn't have been thinking of black people whatsoever just merely using a phrase to describe how much hard work I'd been doing. don't say it now but once in a blue moon I would almost slip and say out of habit!!!

• Advertisement

BluesBerry wrote: »
    That is an old saying I think it went back to the times of the slavery in america you would find a lot of older people using this I dont hear it too often now

My dad is black, and he used to say "they had me working like a Hebrew slave". But he is also a bit of a holy roller, so I think it's more of a biblical euphemism.

In the US today you are more likely to hear "working like a Mexican".

(Mickeroo, is that what you meant?)

What?

Mexicans are stereotyped as being lazy. Black people were slaves
    >working like a black.

Was joking too!

I'm aware of the phrase, but it's pretty bad to actually say it to a black person!

Obviously, and that's why I don't say it!! It wasn't said by me when growing up to be offensive but rather it was just a turn of phrase which is now quite rightly defunct in Ireland

Has anyone else over the age of 35 knowledge of this phrase being used when they were younger???

Obviously, and that's why I don't say it!! It wasn't said by me when growing up to be offensive but rather it was just a turn of phrase which is now quite rightly defunct in Ireland

Has anyone else over the age of 35 knowledge of this phrase being used when they were younger???

I'm under 35 and I have heard used regularly even now.

My dad is black, and he used to say "they had me working like a Hebrew slave". But he is also a bit of a holy roller, so I think it's more of a biblical euphemism.

Not heard that one before :)

Mexicans are stereotyped as being lazy. Black people were slaves
    >working like a black.

Not these days...Mexicans are infamously hard workers. Although one's view of them might have more to do with how one feels about immigration; either they are really hard workers, or they are scroungers that are ruining the country...hm, kind of like the way people talk about Poles in Ireland.

• Advertisement

black people are stero typed as lazy also... "thats one lazy ******" by ron atkinson" for example

So every country has their own variations on that saying..... thats interesting I never knew that

Not these days...Mexicans are infamously hard workers. Although one's view of them might have more to do with how one feels about immigration; either they are really hard workers, or they are scroungers that are ruining the country...hm, kind of like the way people talk about Poles in Ireland.

lol, like darragh o'brian said,thats cause the poles stole our act! :pac:

I'm under 35 and I have heard used regularly even now.

I'd imagine for most people it is a slip of the tongue to use a phrase that wouldn't have been problematic before but then again some people might not care about the offense it could cause......

For me, it's a phrase I would not use anymore! I would never want anybody of any colour to feel offended by a phrase I'd used even if it wasn't said to deliberately be offensive:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

God bless yer old Granny!

my auld gran was bitter bigot of a woman. Her dog was called Darkie Doyle.

My elder sister married a Hindu. On his first visit to Scotland we had a big dinner party to celebrate. She looked him up and down, gave him a big hug then in front of everybody said "at least your not a protestant son". The rest of us never knew where to look.

Even worse. When Mark Walters signed for rangers she was in complete outrage. Her words "we have been giving the black babies money for years and this is what they do to us"

When I moved to Dublin ten years ago, she came to the airport to see me off on the flight. "your going home son"

I miss the old fecker but christ she was a racist biggoted old women. (Owen take note)

• Advertisement
Advertisement