Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Old People

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Mickeroo wrote: »
    lol, like darragh o'brian said,thats cause the poles stole our act! :pac:

Someone in Dublin once told me that Poles, Irish and Mexicans all had the same reputations within their particular regions: hard workers, but hard drinkers. So I guess it would make sense for there to be multiple stereotypes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

an offensive remark is only offensive if its ment to cause offence, a slip of tounge isnt offencive.

i now say "work like a dog" but my jack russell doesnt like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I have to say I'm really enjoying the casual ageism on this thread.

so's me gran!

I'd imagine for most people it is a slip of the tongue to use a phrase that wouldn't have been problematic before but then again some people might not care about the offense it could cause......

For me, it's a phrase I would not use anymore! I would never want anybody of any colour to feel offended by a phrase I'd used even if it wasn't said to deliberately be offensive:)

I remember growing up using names for things that I didn't even know came from derogatory stereotypes (or at least were pejorative). For example, in Chicago we always called police vans "Paddywagons", not realizing the term came from the fact that they were seen as the vehicles of choice for rounding up drunken fighting Irish. And for years I though the old Maxwell Street market on the west side of Chicago was "Jutown" (like Juujuubees the candy)...but what people really meant was "JEW Town" because a lot of the original merchants were Jews and you had to haggle over everything. I don't think I made that connection until I was almost 18.

It's not casual. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Ah c'mon, it's posters giving their own examples of statements that are clearly outdated, there's no malice. Tbh, most of the comments have been met with warmth and understanding that it can be tough on those raised in a different era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Haven't noticed any 'agesim' on this thread; perhaps i wasn't reading it closely enough.
    The difference between percieved victims of ageism and those of other 'isms' is that ageism is an equal opportunity bias; men and women of whatever race will all potentially face it.
    Growing old is simply a fact of life; and people being treated like ****/underestimated because of their advanced years should certainly be counteracted.
    In that sense, though, it is the opposite of discrimination; it is actually one of the few things all may face and can agree upon opposing.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any 'agesim' on this thread; perhaps i wasn't reading it closely enough.
    The difference between percieved victims of ageism and those of other 'isms' is that ageism is an equal opportunity bias; men and women of whatever race will all potentially face it.
    Growing old is simply a fact of life; and people being treated like ****/underestimated because of their advanced years should certainly be counteracted.
    In that sense, though, it is the opposite of discrimination; it is actually one of the few things all may face and can agree upon opposing.

Meh. Personally I can't wait until I'm a crazy old grandma so I can yell at the neighbors' kids, drink gin and tonic all afternoon, and say crazy **** that embarrasses the hell out of my children. Oh, and I'll have a little dog that will hate everyone in the world except me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone in Dublin once told me that Poles, Irish and Mexicans all had the same reputations within their particular regions: hard workers, but hard drinkers. So I guess it would make sense for there to be multiple stereotypes.

Don't forget catholic.

• Advertisement

Don't forget catholic.

Being "hard working" is not a stereotype for most Mediterranean Catholics...and come to think of it, neither is "hard drinking".

there's a wisdom and honesty that comes with old age...dont tell me the pc brigade wont to take that away now???? NO FCUKING WAY. you've everthing ruined else now just fcuk off.
    grandads can say "blackies" and "puff" they've earned the right.

there's a wisdom and honesty that comes with old age...dont tell me the pc brigade wont to take that away now???? NO FCUKING WAY. you've everthing ruined else now just fcuk off.

Honesty, yes. Wisdom...hm, not so sure. But the elderly generally get a pass on this kind of stuff.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Being "hard working" is not a stereotype for most Mediterranean Catholics...and come to think of it, neither is "hard drinking".

er.....yes but catholicism is the most common religion in mexico,poland and indeed ireland.:rolleyes:

Meh. Personally I can't wait until I'm a crazy old grandma so I can yell at the neighbors' kids, drink gin and tonic all afternoon, and say crazy **** that embarrasses the hell out of my children. Oh, and I'll have a little dog that will hate everyone in the world except me.

Hopefully though, if you change your mind and wish to do something else, you will be given the chance as long as you have the capability.
    I get what you're saying, but my initial, humorous post on this thread was misinterpreted by some and i decided then that all my subsuquent posts would be wise and tiresomely earnest.

er.....yes but catholicism is the most common religion in mexico,poland and indeed ireland.:rolleyes:

OK, then I missed your original point...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Racist old people,well their not used to the cosmo multi cultural renaissance that ireland has gone through but what about Racist Young People .Whats their excuse ????

OK, then I missed your original point...:confused:

seriously?? that being catholic is also a stereotype of the countries mentioned.......:)

seriously?? that being catholic is also a stereotype of the countries mentioned.......:)

It's not a stereotype, it's a fact. But not all Catholics are seen as hard working and hard drinking.

• Advertisement

It's not a stereotype, it's a fact. But not all Catholics are seen as hard working and hard drinking.

i never said they were...........

being catholic is a stereotype of irish people at least, but not all of us are catholic funnily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

My granny was in hospital and the nurse looking after her was a Nigerian lady who was black (Sol Campbell black rather than Rio Ferdinand black, important for the story). Whatever happens my gran doesn't see the nurses face, just her hands for some reason. Anyway the nurse goes to wash her hands in a sink before attending to my granny and my granny leans over to me when the nurse leaves and says to me "She obviously didn't wash her hands very well, they had so much muck on them she looked like one of those black chapies".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

About twelve years ago my parents got talking to a black American woman in the pub, can't remember what she was doing in the West of Ireland but anyways she didn't have somewhere to stay and was finding it hard to get work, so good parents that I have they said "well strange american woman, come live in the caravan in the garden and watch our kids while we work for a few weeks til you find something else" (they did that kind of thing more than once, damn hippies).

My dad's family got wind of this, and low and behold a week later my dad's older sister and her family decided to make the two hundred mile drive down in a camper van to "visit". Then we got a phone call on the way from my aunt, who was the more enlightened of the two "right, before we get there, just so we're prepared, how black is she? Is she wild black black or just a wee bit black?" Yup, they drove for 200 miles to get a look at the black woman. And they couldn't have been older than their late 50s at the time. That said, I'm not sure if they have black people in Donegal yet even now

BumbleB wrote: »
    Racist old people,well their not used to the cosmo multi cultural renaissance that ireland has gone through but what about Racist Young People .Whats their excuse ????

They don't have an excuse; they're just wrong.
    As, truth be told, their close-minded forebears were/are.
    Not that i'm condemning them; many beliefs that i now hold to be reasonable may well be percieved as archaic by future generations.
    Someone made a point about how it is 'ageist' to condemn/patronise some people who are now 'old' in Ireland, for holding certain beliefs.
    But it has nothing to do with age.
    These beliefs were forged when they were young, whether due to the prevailing assumptions that held sway in their youth or their own deeply thought-out convictions; potential increased age related crotchitiness/hate due to disillusionment, is irrelevant in this context.
    It is a generational thing; what should be called out here, is the smug assumption that the current generation are inherently more 'cosmopolitian' or broad-minded.
    Hopefully though, people in this country, and elsewhere, are now more free to think for themselves without fear of the consequeneces of breaching dominant doctrines, and have more oppurtunity to educate themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've mentioned the Protestant work ethic and people get offended! :o

My Mum was extremely old fashioned about this type of stuff. I remember the brother landing home from London in 1990 with his half cast (I'm sure somebody will pick me up on this) friend, to Donegal town. They went out at the weekend and I'm sure was talk of the town.

I think Mum was more worried about the reaction of the locals, than the colour.

Same when I became a Dad at 22. She was shamed and I was raging at her reaction. When I calmed down and thought about it, it was her shame at what the relations thought that drove the reaction.

She's 81 now and very chilled! Laughs away at "young ones these days". What relation think still matters to her, but nowhere near as important. I know, deep down, she'd love to live it all over again. Extremely independent woman for her time, she'd love "these days".

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I've mentioned the Protestant work ethic and people get offended! :o

My Mum was extremely old fashioned about this type of stuff. I remember the brother landing home from London in 1990 with his half cast (I'm sure somebody will pick me up on this) friend, to Donegal town. They went out at the weekend and I'm surez were talk of the town.

Is this a reference to bi-racial people? I never heard this until I moved to Ireland, and funnily enough, it was from a Nigerian taxi driver.

• Advertisement

Is this a reference to bi-racial people? I never heard this until I moved to Ireland, and funnily enough, it was from a Nigerian taxi driver.

Yep. Think colored is the term in South Africa?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep. Think colored is the term in South Africa?

TBH it shocked the **** out of me when I heard half-caste, but I'm from the US - with the one-drop rule, we didn't really make those formal distinctions (well, except in New Orleans). Every now and then at home I hear someone say "mulatto", which I think has (hope) has gone the way of "negro".

They have the right; as they always did.
    Just because you, due to the familial connection, find it endearing, though, doesn't make it, in and of itself, admirable or praiseworthy.

TBH it shocked the **** out of me when I heard half-caste, but I'm from the US - with the one-drop rule, we didn't really make those formal distinctions (well, except in New Orleans). Every now and then at home I hear someone say "mulatto", which I think has (hope) has gone the way of "negro".

Context again, gets forgotten on the internet, especially AH!

I don't use the term now, but that was the term then. Remember this was 1990, 20 years ago in Holy Catholic Ireland (Never mind Donegal) with no immigration! Mixed marriages meant Protestants marrying Catholics then! Oh, the innocence! The rows I had with Mum over that.*

Jaysus, it is mad to think how things have changed over the last 20 years! (In a great, fantastic way).

*PS. My Mum was/is extremely independent. Learned to drive long before Dad and had her own hair dressing business in 1950's North Donegal. Ahead of her time in many ways, way ahead culturally, but immigration etc. wasn't a big issue then. If it was now, I've no doubt she'd have no issues whatsoever about it. Probably be a "do gooder, bleeding heart" type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Hopefully though, people in this country, and elsewhere, are now more free to think for themselves without fear of the consequeneces of breaching dominant doctrines, and have more oppurtunity to educate themselves.

The old people are clearly in breach of the dominant doctrine of anti-racism.

• Advertisement

Pittens wrote: »
    The old people are clearly in breach of the dominant doctrine of anti-racism.

Nope. I wouldn't assume to know what all 'old' people think.
    Nor did i write, if infact, as you attest, that the dominant doctrine is now anti-racism, that anyone should abide by it.
    I actually wrote the opposite.
    That many people now, have the means to broaden their field of knowledge and can feel free to hold whatever beliefs they wish.
    Whatever definite conclusions they draw, or fail to come to, is their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Nope. I wouldn't assume to know what all 'old' people think.
    Nor did i write, if infact, as you attest, that the dominant doctrine is now anti-racism, that anyone should abide by it.
    I actually wrote the opposite.
    That many people now, have the means to broaden their field of knowledge and can feel free to hold whatever beliefs they wish.
    Whatever definite conclusions they draw, or fail to come to, is their own business.

No you said that people dont have to fear breaching dominant doctrines anymore. We always have to, the dominant doctrines merely change. Humans have to abide by cultural norms.

That said I dont want to be seen to defend racism, even on old people, I just disagree that we are more likely to think for ourselves than any other generation.

Pittens wrote: »
    No you said that people dont have to fear breaching dominant doctrines anymore. We always have to, the dominant doctrines merely change. Humans have to abide by cultural norms.

That said I dont want to be seen to defend racism, even on old people, I just disagree that we are more likely to think for ourselves than any other generation.

I see what you're saying; of course, in any given country, there will always be dominant doctrines, to continue to use that clumsy phrase.
    But, for instance, we at least, in this country, at this time, can debate what they are without risking our lives.
    And even in Ireland, in the past, to step outside of and question the percieved norm, could have grave consequences.
    Perhaps that is still the case, to some degree.
    My point was simply to say that people in this country now, hopefully, feel more free in expressing a range of views that would have been beyond the pale before.
    I certainly don't believe we are more likely, now, to think for ourselves; if you read one of my previous posts i condemned that very assumption as being smug.
    I merely stated that hopefully, we now have more breathing room to do so.
    Again, perhaps i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I remember watching that, could not believe what i just heard. Classic.

Why? After all he was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I remember being at an Ireland football match when I was a kid, the teams were warming up and some guy behind was talking to his friend about Paul McGrath and the kits;

'The black of him looks very well with the green.'
    i remember as kids,bout 25 yrs ago, when my da would be driving us home from a rugby match(ten pints on him) down the south circular road, he'd spot a black man and shout "look at the black man" at which point we'd all jump up to the window(no seat belts) to get a look at some un-suspecting black man going about his business:eek::eek:
    how times have changed, for the better i might add.
    old irish people are from a different world.

They get up to the same craic in Africa.
    Anytime there is a white person about, the whole village comes out and crowds around them loling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RIP ya mad eejit

^LMAO at this.
    Great mixture of sentiment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Hardly ageism if these attitudes are actually more prevalent among older people.
    Which in fairness they probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

in reply to OP

next time she says it tell her she ought to know better and not to be an ignorant racist

some old people can be inappropriate and need to be guided

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

moonpurple wrote: »
    in reply to OP

next time she says it tell her she ought to know better and not to be an ignorant racist

some old people can be inappropriate and need to be guided

Thats a bit patronizing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

• Advertisement

Guy's a legend.. If I was a mafioso, I'd def shop there.

Wait, where are the Mexicans and black people? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

dont be so silly Mexicans and black people sleep on straw we all know that. tut tut :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Wait, where are the Mexicans and black people? :confused:

I am totally buying a mattress off that guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Is that actually a real commercial ????? I hope it is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

This happened yesterday whilst I was visiting my 80 year old nan (the one who got drunk and had the belly dancer outfit XD).

Me: *seeing that BONG! Moment of Reflection Catholic thing on the telly* I find that offensive! (As a militent Athiest)

Gran: Yeah. Feckin' black wimmins all up in my Novena! Feck off back to Nigeria, yeh pleb!

Me: *dumbstruck* Uhh... would this be a bad time to tell you I ment it as being offensive to my lack o' believes?

Gran: Goddamn coloured people ruinin' my Novena!

Me: *backs away slowly* Uh... I'll go put the kettle on.

Gran: *chirpy* Giz us two sugars, love!

Me: O_o ;;

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

During the mid 80s Ethiopian famine, I was upset watching the bbc broadcast. I was telling my mother about all the women with their babies dying..my mother asked 'but sure, do they even know?' She seriously thought them people hadn't feelings:confused:.

Her mother, my granny was really biggoted. She refused to speak to her niece's husband 'cos he was Protestant. My granny's from Cavan, not even the middle of a troubled area.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

on showing this vid to my dad (hilarious by the way) he goes "ah the yanks" an rolls his eyes ha ha old people eh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was a barman at the local hotel, constantly did weddings.

And I was always hearing the term "mixed marriage" from others.
    Mainly overhearing elderly people at the bar, even my manager would tell me it was a mixed marriage.

I figured the bride and groom were of different racial backgrounds.
    Nope, Catholic and Church of Ireland.
    Which for many people is the most shocking thing they can imagine!

This is just a few years ago, mixed marriage is still a common term

• Advertisement

I was a barman at the local hotel, constantly did weddings.

And I was always hearing the term "mixed marriage" from others.
    Mainly overhearing elderly people at the bar, even my manager would tell me it was a mixed marriage.

I figured the bride and groom were of different racial backgrounds.
    Nope, Catholic and Church of Ireland.
    Which for many people is the most shocking thing they can imagine!

This is just a few years ago, mixed marriage is still a common term

My mom grew up in Chicago where most families were second and third generation descendants of European immigrants. At that time, pretty much everyone had at least one grandparent from the 'old country' that was still alive, and it was best to marry someone else whose family was Irish (although they looked down on you if your family was from Mayo). A 'mixed marriage' was between an Irish and Italian family; even though they were both Catholic, the Irish thought Italians were mafiosos, and the Italians thought the Irish were insane. My great-aunt married an Italian, and my grandma always called him "Eddie the Gangster".

There was one Swedish (i.e. Protestant) family in the neighborhood, and my mom was allowed to play with them as long as she didn't go in their house. And let's not even talk about inter-racial marriage.

Advertisement