Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out (Vegetarian and Coeliac friendly)

Options
  • 25-07-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Can anyone recommend restaurants in Galway City and County that are Vegetarian and Coeliac friendly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

From the top of my head, The Cellar and Kelly's. Good pub grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nimmos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not being picky, but do you mean:

- coeliac friendly and vegetarian (ie exclusively veggo)

- coeliac friendly and vegetarian friendly (meat's ok so long as other people eat it).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This site here suggests Cava is coeliac friendly. Though it is not vegetarian so I am not sure if its of much help.
    Their menus are here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fanof

JustMary wrote: »
    Not being picky, but do you mean:

- coeliac friendly and vegetarian (ie exclusively veggo)

- coeliac friendly and vegetarian friendly (meat's ok so long as other people eat it).

I'm happy to settle for the second because I imagine the first would be quite restricting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Asain Tea House, Mary St.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Like other posters, I'm assuming some members of the party are coeliac and some are vegetarian.

McSwiggans has veggie options and is very accomodating as regards coeliacs - their sauces are gluten free - ring ahead to tell them there'll be a coeliac in the group though - it's best to do this in most restaurants so that they're extra careful of cross-contamination.

Kirbys (Restaurant in Buskers) also have options - once again ring ahead to warn about the coeliac member of the group.

A lot of the restaurants in Galway are very accomodating when it comes to coeliacs if you ring ahead to warn them. They often make sure that there are sauces are gluten free if they know that there will be a coeliac guest. The restaurant attached to the Kings Head is particularly good (the name fails me now as I'm not in Galway at the moment) and it has gluten free chocolate cake in its dessert menu.

Tulsi is my favourite for veggie options and once again, they'll let you know which sauces have gluten in them if you ask.

I've been to all of the places listed with one of my best friends and she's a coeliac and I'm vegetarian. She gets sick if there's even the smallest hint of flour in something and she highly recommends all of the above restaurants.

One well known bar in Salthill has gluten free options but she has been "glutened" there twice after ordering their gluten free option - once from the sauce which they assured her was gluten free at the start. They came rushing out to tell her that they'd made a mistake 5 minutes later and that it did have gluten in it...she was not a happy camper. Having gluten has the same effect as food poisoning for her.

So not all of the places that use the gluten free symbol know exactly what it means...and many of them allow cross contamination to occur. Some places seem to think that being a coeliac is just a diet for losing weight, so they don't take it too seriously (or at least they haven't informed their staff how serious the consequences can be...).

Advertisement