Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stephen fry

Options
  • 25-07-2010 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

anybody watch 111 on sky stephen fry in america with hunters after whitetail deer,they rub the whitetail droppings over themselves and roll in leaves to mask their scent from the deer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

bazza888 wrote: »
    anybody watch 111 on sky stephen fry in america with hunters after whitetail deer,they rub the whitetail droppings over themselves and roll in leaves to mask their scent from the deer!

is that not normal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i dont know never been deer hunting they didnt manage to shoot anything,i know you dont want be smelling of lynx deoderant and such but never heard lads saying they rub crap into there clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The end of that was a bit funny though - "Did you see it? It was this big"... "no, we didn't see anything"..."oh, he must have gone the other way so" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A nicer version is to rub apples into your clothes, still masks the human smell but you can go to the pub on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

that be nicer allright,what other things do people do to mask there scent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 LongRifle

what other things do people do to mask there scent?

Wash.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Keep your deer hunting clothes outside.If they need a wash ,keep them hanging outside in the wind ,rain& sun until every scent of detergent has gone out of them.Bonous if you have an apple tree or pine tree handy.When dry,I just put mine in a zip up plastic bag until needed.That way normal human household smell doesnt penetrate.
    Give the old colgate a miss on the deer hunt,as the same with any deodrant.You will survive quite awhile without an old tooth clean or lynx.:D Give up the fags as well..Even us humans can smell you downwind for miles.Think how far a deer can smell you then.
    Learn how to read the wind as well.
    I'll leave throwing myself in deer ****e to the dog.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Keep your deer hunting clothes outside.If they need a wash ,keep them hanging outside in the wind ,rain& sun until every scent of detergent has gone out of them.Bonous if you have an apple tree or pine tree handy.When dry,I just put mine in a zip up plastic bag until needed.That way normal human household smell doesnt penetrate.
    Give the old colgate a miss on the deer hunt,as the same with any deodrant.You will survive quite awhile without an old tooth clean or lynx.:D Give up the fags as well..Even us humans can smell you downwind for miles.Think how far a deer can smell you then.
    Learn how to read the wind as well.
    I'll leave throwing myself in deer ****e to the dog.:D

I believe smoking has no effect when stalking, in fact it can hide the human smell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It does allright.Used to know a chain smoking hunter,he got about one deer a year if he was lucky.You could tell he was outand about from the smell of fags in the forest.It's an alien smell to deer.They are not going to hang around with a noxious weed puffer in their vicinity.Another thing they wil not tolerate near them is sheep for some reason.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Another thing they wil not tolerate near them is sheep for some reason.

I have one small permission which typically has a few deer on it early in the morning but when sheep were put on it last year, they all disappeared and did not reappear yet to my knowledge, though the sheep are long gone now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I have one small permission which typically has a few deer on it early in the morning but when sheep were put on it last year, they all disappeared and did not reappear yet to my knowledge, though the sheep are long gone now as well.

deer dont like sharing imo, they like having a field to them selves..

i'm sure they will be back and i bet they didnt go far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    deer dont like sharing imo, they like having a field to them selves..

i'm sure they will be back and i bet they didnt go far

Deer and hares are very similar when it comes to habitat, they like lonely places.

Sheep means Humans from time to time.
    also sheep are noisey hoors so they must pis* the deer off with their bleating

I've only ever seen deer in fields by themselves.

except for one old doe who was a half pet and would come into the farm yard of a relative to eat calf nuts out off the trough

Advertisement