Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Bold or Curve?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

I can't decide wich one to get and tbh the only thing turning me off the curve is there is no 3G on it. Has anyone got this phone and do you miss the 3G. if anyone has any views on either regardless off 3G I would love to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you plan to use a lot of data then you should get 3G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Its possible to live without 3G but its painfully slow when there is no Wifi around. The Curve doesn't have a GPS either and the finish on it reflects its price. If you compare the keyboards from the Bold with the Curve, the Bold has a much nicer, softer keyboard. I found the Curve an excellent phone and used it when I was having issues with my Storm, but if I was to use a full QWERY keyboard phone all the time, I'd aim for the Bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

The Curve doesn't have a GPS either............

Which Curve are you talking about here?
    The current Curve (8900) has indeed got GPS

I have used all of them and so has my wife and she used a Curve for 13 months and recently changed to a 9700 as I have one also and she much prefers it to the Curve. When at home, we use wi-fi, but as Davy said, if you plan to use it for data at all, go for the 9700
    Its a smashing phone. Best Blackberry I have ever used without a doubt, and I have owned most models at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

Thanks for the replys, much appreciated I think it will be the Bold for me.

No bother. As a matter of interest, what do you use now, or have you owned a Blackberry before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

The curve will support EDGE though which is decent.

O2 have edge though Vodafone don't.

The bold is the higher spec fone so if Money isn't a consideration u should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

I'm puzzled, why do people still find Blackberrys an appealing choice? Spend 5 minutes on an Android or iPhone and you'll find the blackberry OS is complete UI mess compared to them.. People say the email functionality is brilliant but I find it no better than other platforms and the less said about their development tools the better...

So why do people go for these phones?:confused:

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    No bother. As a matter of interest, what do you use now, or have you owned a Blackberry before?

I was using a samsung Jet but its broke. Never had a blackberry no but wish I had got it before instead of the Jet tbh

Well going on what smackyB said, a Blackberry can be very much a love/hate thing. Some people use them and won't ever use anything else. Others try them and they are sorry they ever got one, so bear this in mind and maybe see if you can try one somewhere or if a friend has one, maybe try it out first.

Granted, they are nowhere near as good media wise as most of todays smartphones, but I'll put it this way. I always have a Blackberry. My 2nd phone could be an iPhone, a €20 Nokia, a HTC Desire, a Samsung Galaxy S etc, but for me, they are always my play phones, and the Blackberry is my Number 1.

They do email, and they do it very well. I can pull up emails in seconds that I got maybe a year ago, by searching by sender, by subject, by word in title, word in mail etc etc. Another huge appeal for me is Blackberry Messenger, which allows unlimited free texting between Blackberry users worldwide. Its basically a realtime chat window and I use it for all my friends worldwide. It's like no matter where I am, they are always there available immediately.

Just bear in mind, that they are not everyones cup of tea ;)

Have one myself and won't be renewing.

Onto the iphone after playing around with it the last while.

The are good fones just not for me anymore.

The web browser is shockingly poor though OS6 is supposed to fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

i have used blackberries, for a long time now, currently have a storm II, Bold 9000, ( best BB)... the storm II is like typing on a wet sponge.:eek:

anyways why are blackberry phones so expensive in Ireland, for example on the o2 top plan of €100 per month, they want €259 for the bold 9700 and on vodafone, on their top plan of €99 they want €239 for the bold 9700..

however on three, €80 monthly plan, the bold 9700 is free!.. seems like a good deal.

however i have not heard of anyone using the blackberry on three, so not sure what their offering is like.

I appriciate everybodys replys thankyou. I totally understand a great phone for some might be a bad phone for others but after talking to a lot of people including my sister that has just got one and my finacial situation that I will be getting the curve. I was going t get the storm when it first came out as I thought it looked great but the reviews it got were shocking so never botherd and typing on a wet sponge dont fill me with joy either lol. I hope im making the right choice.

They are making a slider blackberry to be announced tomorrow. Sounds like it could be a good device to get.

Advertisement