Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Snobbery

Options
  • 25-07-2010 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

How much does literary snobbery bother everyone on this forum?? Whats your opinions on it?

Its just been on my mind lately ever since I finished 'The Complaints' by Ian Rankin and I was having a chat with someone who considers themselves to be a "intellectual". I told him what book I'd just finished and he really looked down his nose at me for it as he'd just finished 'Finnegans Wake' which I consider to be utter unreadable rubbish personally but its just my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I get really irritated by this sort of literary snobbery though so just interested in everyone elses thougts and experiences. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I told him what book I'd just finished and he really looked down his nose at me for it as he'd just finished 'Finnegans Wake' which I consider to be utter unreadable rubbish personally but its just my opinion and I'm entitled to it. ...
    "Ah, good day Pot, I'd like you to meet my other friend Kettle, you may have more than a little in common." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

In fact, I believe that the reverse snobbery can often times be worse. I don't ever go out of my way to bash, say, Dan Brown, but I know that some people do like to go out of their way to bash "high-brow" literature. "Literary snobbery" is generally a case of people simply ignoring the existence of books that don't appeal to them, whereas "reverse snobbery" is distinctly more militant.

I think it's some form of inferiority complex at play. Someone reads a novel, doesn't understand it at all and so goes on a tirade against the author, trying desperately to deflect from the fact that they, as readers, were simply ill-equipped to analyse the novel.

What they don't realise is that it's no embarrassment to be beaten by bound sheets of paper. Crafty little things, books can be. Accept that, and stop taking it personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Interesting points, but don't you think this rhetoric of "highbrow types" is just as pointless and reductive as the snobbery you rightly decry?

On a point of plain fact, I'd be interested in more details about these intellectuals who are infuriated at the "lowbrow" elements of Finnegans Wake. It's not an attitude I've ever seen anyone express.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have no time for it. Though I'm suspicious of people who only read non fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What sorts of issues have you had? I've regularly read classics in public and have never had any confrontations. Maybe it's the way you read. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It wouldn't represent the pinnacle of literary snobbery to me personally but it did to the person I was conversing with. I certainly wouldn't look down my nose at someone for reading 'Finnegans Wake' but it does irritate that people somehow think their choice of book is somehow 'better' than mine for reasons they can't really explain.
    mathepac wrote: »
    "Ah, good day Pot, I'd like you to meet my other friend Kettle, you may have more than a little in common." :rolleyes:

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Thats a fair point to make when you are capable of explaining why you think book x is a more accomplished piece than book y but in my personal experience I've found most people cannot explain why one novel is more accomplished than another. I suppose thats the real issue that annoys me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I agree wholeheartedly with DonegalFella's analysis. There is a clear difference between good and bad books, but each have their own merits.

For example, I read both high and lowbrow. I like the occasional thriller. (Robert Harris' books on Cicero for example)

Once in a late night bar I started shouting out excerpts from The Grapes of Wrath to my soon-to-be-girlfriend's friends. The stony looks I got in return only served to make me louder and more desperate and add in more questions like "do you understand it?"

The subsequent accusations of snobbishness were well merited.
    But I can readily explain to you why George Eliot's Middlemarch is a better novel than Cecelia Ahern's P.S. I Love You.

Have you read P.S. I Love You?

;)

I think it worked in my favour, in fact. :D

That was good of you. In fairness, Cecelia Ahern must be aware that she's nothing compared to Joyce. Not to mean that dismissively, but she is targeting a different "market" to the likes of Joyce (to put it in plain economic terms). So fielding questions which attempt to compare her to him must be embarrassing. She can't admit she's not really good, obviously, but she also can't really claim she is anywhere near as good as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Alice Milligan

I think most people have been accused of literary snobbery at one time or another. I was once asked why I was reading Ezra Pound when he was “so out of fashion”. Although maybe I am a literary snob because I quite like reading what I want to read and making these wonderful connections between writers and discovering books I might not otherwise have read. As long as people are reading, using their imaginations and improving their literacy levels it doesn’t matter who they are reading. You never know maybe Cecelia Ahern will inspire someone to read a classic like Emma!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

:DThis gave me a good laugh.
    Why would someone criticise you for reading on a train? Even more importantly, was it a stranger? Count yourself lucky because where I work I'm simply maligned for reading, full stop!

Do people actually have people talk to them about what they're reading on the train? This has never happened to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Do people actually have people talk to them about what they're reading on the train? This has never happened to me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Whenever I'm on a train I carry War and Peace with me. I hold it in front of my face, and every so often I yawn, stretch my arms, and display the book behind my head as I do so and project it into the air. I don't actually read it.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

donegalfella - you should try reading American Psycho on the train and laugh loudly every so often. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I nearly got into a fight one time on a train because of a book.

I was reading Mein Kamph. I know I didn't actually think about what it would look like at the time, I just grabbed the book I was reading and left.

Cue dirty looks and comments. One guy asked me why I was reading it and when I told him (general interest/pleasure) he started to get really angry.

I suppose the sight of a 16/17yo reading that book is very strange.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I nearly got into a fight one time on a train because of a book.

I was reading Mein Kamph. I know I didn't actually think about what it would look like at the time, I just grabbed the book I was reading and left.

Cue dirty looks and comments. One guy asked me why I was reading it and when I told him (general interest/pleasure) he started to get really angry.

I suppose the sight of a 16/17yo reading that book is very strange.

Did you tell him you post under the username Mussolini?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Did you tell him you post under the username Mussolini?
    No, I was in my SS get up though, think that contributed to the reaction? :D

I realy have to sub and get the name changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

People on the train have never bothered me while reading. I spent the two and a half hours of a Cork to Heuston journey frustrating myself with about 20 pages of Spinoza's Ethics and no-one said a word to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Personally, I have never received criticism for reading 'high brow' literature in public. Most people just ask how I have the patience to get through those sort of books etc. Like in the case of 'Infinite Jest', most people could not fathom why I would want to read a book that is 1300 pages long and complicated in it's subject matter.

My response is that I enjoy the challenge of having to engage with a complicated text and it will, in most cases, reward me for the effort. For most people, this reward comes in a simple plot twist or a surprise ending and as such will read simpler books.

There is a stigma attached to classics that they are difficult, boring etc and a lot of people unfortunately associate them with school and as such will not read them for enjoyment. You have to also remember that the average Irish person will read, watch and listen to what the majority read, watch and listen too. Individuality has died a death in this country and if you do things a little bit different to someone, your looked at as a bit pretentious or a snob.

It goes for music and film. The majority of people will do just what others are doing. That's why the books top ten are what they are, everyone's reading the Stieg Larsson books, well I'll read them too. Everyone likes Kings of Leon, well I'll listen to them too. Inception is being talked about everywhere, I better go see it. That's just the mentality of a lot of Irish people. Subtitled film, **** that. Dostoyevsky, no way.

I've just come to accept it for what it is, maybe I was quite snobby about it at one stage in that I'd be critical of someone who reads Dan Brown etc but if what they want is a casual fun read who are we to stop them. I tried to introduce better books to friends, just based what I thought they would like but nobody listened and I accepted that it was it a waste of time and people just have a certain mentality.

I'm glad people read at all, because the book is dying in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

That thought crossed my mind too, if a stranger approached me and commented on what I was reading, our exchange would not be pleasant.

That thought crossed my mind too, if a stranger approached me and commented on what I was reading, our exchange would not be pleasant.

I'd like it. But then I'm an evangelist for things I love, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You need to start shouting excerpts from the text at them and asking them if they understand it.
    It goes for music and film. The majority of people will do just what others are doing. That's why the books top ten are what they are, everyone's reading the Stieg Larsson books, well I'll read them too. Everyone likes Kings of Leon, well I'll listen to them too. Inception is being talked about everywhere, I better go see it. That's just the mentality of a lot of Irish people. Subtitled film, **** that. Dostoyevsky, no way.

Thought I'm not one of them, some people seem to enjoy the shared exprience of culture more than the culture itself.

Advertisement