Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i have a question.

Options
  • 25-07-2010 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

hey guys

do you think its ok if a just turned 18 year old goes out with a 15 year old.

please be honest and no crap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dunworth1 wrote: »
    hey guys

do you think its ok if a just turned 18 year old goes out with a 15 year old.

please be honest and no crap

Nope, your an adult, she's still legally a child, opening yourself for all kinds of shit to be thrown in your direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

it's bit much of a difference,at that age.if you were 20 and she was 17,it'd be grand.

Also,there are legal implications as you are an adult and she's still legally a child.Along with a bit of a sitgma from most teens,I imagine there would be anyway.

So,all logic would say;No,don't do it.

But,if it makes you happy; F*ck the haters and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its fine, but you are letting yourself in for a world of **** if you ever piss her off. She can claim statutory rape whenever she wants. I wouldn't. Go find yourself a nice 17 year old. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Everyone seems to be very presumptuous about them having sex...

But anyway, no, I don't think it's alright. If I'm being honest, I'd find it a bit creepy and weird. 15 is too young for an 18 year old to be going out with. I mean, that could be someone in college going out with someone doing their Junior Cert. No. It's wrong.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

When in doubt follow the divide by 7 and add 2 divide by 2 and add 7 rule.

So 18/2=9+7=16

In other words, no, she's too young. And while I'm not being presumptuous about your sex life, the age of consent in Ireland is 17 (source), so unless you're going to wait 2 years, it'll be considered sex with a minor and that's not really a road you want to go down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Nah, to be frank, I'd find that a bit wrong. 3 years in the teens is quite a big difference. Even disregarding sex (which would be illegal, and could land yourself in very serious, life-changing trouble) it's just not right.

It's just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

My younger sister is 15 and I would be very displeased to say the least if she started to go out with an 18 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ye guys have just conformed what i was thinking myself i just wanted to get another opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

No, there's a world of difference between 15 and 18, and girls just aren't mature enough at that age, even if they act otherwise. It'd be sort of taking advantage...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I know of a few couple around that age right and i have always felt uncomfortable about it. There's just too much of a difference between an 18yr old and a 15yr old. Especially in maturity and 'life experience' as such. 15yr olds are at JC stage, 18yr olds are heading into college. 18yr olds also tend to expect different things from a relationship than a 15yr old would. 15yr olds are still kids as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Don't know why as an 18 year old you'd want to go out with someone that age. It's a bit like one of your best mates being in third year while you're in university, I'd imagine that'd be a bit lame.

Unless your friend had some srsly sweet bewbz..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

not a good idea for the 18 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Yeah it's rather weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

17 and 19's cool though yeah? :P

I agree with everyone here, too much of a maturity gap tbh, maybe wait till they're older :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

OopsyDaisy wrote: »
    17 and 19's cool though yeah? :P

I agree with everyone here, too much of a maturity gap tbh, maybe wait till they're older :)

I'd say so. There's be a lot less of a maturity difference between 17 and 19, in 6th year in my year some people were 17 and some were 19, so I wouldn't consider it weird.

18 and 15 though, I wouldn't. But then again, there's 2 and a half years between me and my boyfriend, I'm 19, he's 21, nearly 22. But I really don't notice the difference at all.

Edit: I was actually 17 when we started going out, and he was just turned 20. Seems bigger when I say it, but tbh, there was never an issue about it, nobody ever said anything bad, we don't notice so meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

People saying it's wrong?
    How so?
    I was 16 when I started going out with my boyfriend and he was 19,I don't see what's "wrong" with it.
    Our parents had no problem OP,so go for it if it'll make you happy,there's nothing "wrong" with it.

With maturity aswell,a 15 year old could be more mature than and 18 year old,depending on life experience.
    I know a few 18 year olds who act like children,it all depends on what happens to you during life,some stuff will really get you to cop the fcuk on and grow up like,while others may not experience stuff like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

storm2811 wrote: »
    Our parents had no problem OP,so go for it if it'll make you happy,there's nothing "wrong" with it.

That was the reaction your parents had. How can you be so sure the girl in question would get the same reaction? They might consider a 3 year age gap abhorrent, especially as the girl is so far below the legal age of consent. There's plenty wrong with breaking the law, remember.

i would never consider having sex with someone who was underage just to clear that up

That was the reaction your parents had. How can you be so sure the girl in question would get the same reaction? They might consider a 3 year age gap abhorrent, especially as the girl is so far below the legal age of consent. There's plenty wrong with breaking the law, remember.

I don't remember mentioning sex in my post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't remember mentioning sex in my post.

You didn't mention it. I don't remember mentioning that I would only discuss things like this according to your rules?

• Advertisement

You didn't mention it. I don't remember mentioning that I would only discuss things like this according to your rules?

You quoted my post and went on to assume that they would be breaking the law by having sex.
    I never mentioned sex in my post but you mentioned it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Age gaps are funny things.... really, what's only relevant are the peoples ages at the time.

...and the older you get, the less relevant it becomes. There's a 17 or 18 year gap between my parents.... you can look at it two ways....dating a newborn is acceptable when you're 18, or, as you get older these things don't really matter.

I hope you know which one is correct >_>

18 and 15.... I can see some immaturity issues, different tastes, and different lifestyles clashing somewhat, but if you can make it work - I don't see why not.

You quoted my post and went on to assume that they would be breaking the law by having sex.
    I never mentioned sex in my post but you mentioned it anyway.

I mentioned the legal age of consent, which, admittedly, may have connotations with sex. However, at no point in my original post did I explicitly use the word.

Yes, I quoted your post. However, this is an open discussion forum. I posted a reply that was inspired by your post, but was also general enough to allow others to respond to it as well. With that in mind, I'd advise you to take a read of other posts in this thread that did include reference to sex. My post was quite definitely in context, whether it was in direct reply to yours or not.

I never assumed that the OP would do such a thing. In fact, he has since posted to say exactly that. I made a point about something that should be kept in mind when making a decision about matters like these.

I don't know what your problem is. I didn't set out to offend you. I merely questioned the logic behind your advice. "My parents were okay with this, so yours will be too" is terrible advice. If you're going to give someone advice on a discussion-board read by young people, you should at least try to put some form of wisdom behind it.

Anyway, I have diverged from the point. Judging by this post, the OP is happy with the advice he's received so far. If dunworth1 can post in this thread to confirm he's satisfied with the feedback he received, I will lock this thread soon.

Anyway, I have diverged from the point. Judging by this post, the OP is happy with the advice he's received so far. If dunworth1 can post in this thread to confirm he's satisfied with the feedback he received, I will lock this thread soon.

yes i'm satisfied with the comments in this thread
    you may lock it

thanks.

also you didnt mention anything about sex in your posts but it was implied which is why i responded with my post to state i wouldn't be breaking the law

dunworth1 wrote: »
    yes i'm satisfied with the comments in this thread
    you may lock it

thanks.

also you didnt mention anything about sex in your posts but it was implied which is why i responded with my post to state i wouldn't be breaking the law

Great, thanks!

I saw your post, and thanked it at the time. It's just one of those things that I'd mention as a precaution, I didn't mean to imply anything about yourself.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want the thread re-opened at any point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement