Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2011 for hopefuls

• 25-07-2010 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

I hope this thread will advise other Marmotte virgins like myself. I'd appreciate comments from those who have completed it, mainly to judge the committment necessary. Stuff I'd like would be:
    1. Your Age
    2. Your Level (e.g. novice; experienced tour/sportive rider; racer)
    3. Your time / medals
    (and now the more interesting bits for hopefuls)
    4. Your training (a summary would be appreciated)
    5. Comments / advice on how adequate the training was etc.
    6. Anything else?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You might also consider efforts that have failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »
    You might also consider efforts that have failed.

Screw you hippy!!! :mad:

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I hope this thread will advise other Marmotte virgins like myself. I'd appreciate comments from those who have completed it, mainly to judge the committment necessary. Stuff I'd like would be:
    1. Your Age
    3. Your time / medals
    6. Anything else?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Loads of good blogs and advice articles on the net, one I found very good I have linked to, but there are many more and probably better.

www.keepandshare.com/doc/693883/marmotte-guide-823k?da=y

To answer your questions;

1. 35
    2. Non racing. Have been cycling for a few years, about 10 since a college hiatus! but not in a club. Have done a few Wicklow 200's. Mostly cycle with a few friends. (friends in this instance is entirely dependent on comparitve form levels of the different people on each day:D).
    3.Have done it twice now, 2006 silver, 2010 gold.
    4. Training. Start in Jan, concentrating on getting a good base. Depending on how your end of last year went this may be a few shorter cycles each week or some longer weekenders. Main purpose is to get out on the bike. I don't have any aims of targets during this phase, just getting out when I can mainly to get back into the habit of training.
    Once into February/March start to get more focused on getting some longer miles in, and maybe start to do some work on the turbo. While I guess it would be better to have a clear focus I find that the weather/dark evenings etc make cycling a bit of a chore, so prefer to get a few shorter cycles a week, rather than 1 long slog which puts you off for the rest of the week.
    Once the weather turns from completely terrible to just terrible, you can look at focusing on the mountains (well they are hills in comparision to France but work with what you have). If you have gotten some good mileage in the last few months it now needs to be refocused on getting on the hills and climbing. I think the main difference betwen 2010 and 2006 for me was that I actally lowered the intensity of my training, wasn't really worried about times etc, but cut out the in-between miles. By that I mean if I went out climbing that is what I did. Find a few good climbs and repeat, repeat, repeat. Boring as fook, but it is all amount the climbing.
    We did a course up Killakee, Over Sally Gap and then up to Kippure Mast. Took roughly an hour, which is a good lenght of time to be climbing. Of course there is a downhill etc but it is the best we could find. Maybe descend to Roundwood and then head straight back up. Should be trying to keep consistent with your times, rather than burn up the first time and struggle to make the second. The marmotte is all about pacing, no point flying up the Glandon and then having nothing for the remainder.
    5. As I already said main difference between the two attempts was that I overtrained in 2006 and ended up with an injury which wrecked the last few weeks and made the attempt a real struggle. By taking things a tiny bit easier (not easy just easier) I certainly felt in far better shape. If you can get to France for a week sometime in the April/May to test yourself on the lenght of climbs it makes a massive difference as it allows you to gauge exactly how you cope with climbing solidly for 1+hour (completely different even than the Kippure route). I could not go this year but was in Lanzorate in June and got out for a few days. Obviously no real hills over there but it was good to spend time in the heat and gauge the level of water etc. Better to make your mistakes then than in July.
    Climbing is the key, and a postive attitute to climbing is the key. Sign up to W200, MB200 etc. Don't worry too much about times etc, it is more about getting a full day in the saddle, how you cope, eating and drinking plans, position on the bike etc. Seems like pretty basic stuff but the difficulty and heat of the Marmotte means that any issue is magnified and a small irritation on a cycle over here can be a serious hurdle over there.
    Get your weight down. Don't crash diet but put some thought into the foods you eat. I don't believe in 'dieting' as such, but I certainly watch what I eat during the week (lunches etc) but don't worry too much at the weekend. If you are doing the level of training you should, then you will probably be buring off as much as you can take in. Just watch what type of food your eat (cut down on the snack-boxes and have pasta and whatever instead).
    Cut down the weight of the bike. not as important as yourself, but important nonetheless. Don't have to go crazy, but if you thinking of an upgrade etc take the weight into consideration. Most shops don't really pay much attention to the weight, which amkes sense as for racing here etc weight isn't really an issue, but in France it makes a differnce.
    Try out gels, powders etc well before you head over. The W200/MB200 etc are great events for this. Once you find something that works for you, stick with that and forget what anybody else says.
    6. It is a tough event, but not impossible. Personally, I believe that every cyclist should what to do this, or something similar at some point. The course defines cycling. Not everybody likes climbing, and certainly it is only one aspect of the sport. But climbing Alpe D'Huez is just one of those milestones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Oh god. My plan was to do the Marmotte (or the Etape) in 2012, as I didn't think I could commit to it before then with work and young kids but now I'm looking at this thread thinking, why not?

I'd also be interested in gear selection for the day.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For anyone doing it from here, only Boards gear is allowed:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭drops

i found 25 mile time trials good training, being close to your limit for an hour is one of the things i found helpful for the climbs.

As for gears i found a 34 X 28 fine

best of luck to all, it was the best day on a bike ive ever had even taking all the pain into account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Oh god. My plan was to do the Marmotte (or the Etape) in 2012, as I didn't think I could commit to it before then with work and young kids but now I'm looking at this thread thinking, why not?

Two years is a very long time to stay focused, for me that would leave too much wiggle room to put off training now. I would end up doing the bulk of the training in the 6 months of 2012 anyway, so why not plan for 2011.

There is plenty of time. Of course with work, life, family etc, it is going to mean sacrificies for everybody. But it is doable. At the end of the day we are just amatuers so whatever you manage is still great. As Drops said, it really is a fantastic, memorable day. Climbing over the famous cols. It's like getting to play in Croke Park, Lansdown Road, Wembley or whatever. Alpe D'huez really is an amazing climb (of course you don't have to go through the hell of the previous 160 k's to appreciate this!) Hurts like hell, goes on forever, is relentless, but that just adds to the sense of achievement, or the desire to come back and beat it the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

i did this years etape, not marmotte, but presume much of the same applies. Lots of different training programs and the best would include a solid endurance base being developed in november to january through long slow cycles and then adding in interval and hill work as july draws near.

I did a low volume interval only program of 8hrs per week, 3 interval sessions on the turbo and 1lsd ride. If I could change anything, I would have dropped the lsd ride and added Yhrs of hill repeats or 1hr TT pace sessions instead. The climbs are tough, but the real challenge is the length - up to 2hrs of climbing!

I used a compact and 27 at the rear, and found this adequate. A standard 39/53 would be doable for any climb but after 3+ in a row......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeoD

Level: A non-point scoring A4 racer so able to turn the pedals but a long long way off 'animal' status.
    Time/medals: Without really going into the red, finished this year's Marmotte in 9:49 I think 34mins outside gold.
    Training: Started cycling in Jan 2009 in preparation for the 2009 Etape. After that I probably just tipped away with the club for the rest of the year. Over the winter months I just went on the weekend club rides - probably 3 times every 4 weeks, each one between 80-100k. I have never seen a turbo trainer and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. Once the clocks changed in the Spring I tried to get out Tuesdays and Thursdays for around 2hrs - again with the club. I am based in the midlands so all our club rides are either flat or rolly - never hilly. I went to the Slieve Blooms twice this year to train, doing about 1.5-2hrs each time. I am usually in Limerick at weekends so would go over Gallows Hill twice on my weekend cycle down there. I take part in League races as I love the buzz of them but I think they are great for training - 60mins balls out riding! For 'endurance', I only did 2x160k and 2x150k cycles this year. I didn't do any repeats.
    This is my weekly mileage starting from March:
    Wk 1: 105km
    Wk 2: 155km
    Wk 3: 210km
    Wk 4: 165km
    Wk 5: 125km
    Wk 6: 195km
    Wk 7: 390km
    Wk 8: 250km
    Wk 9: 190km
    Wk 10: 363km
    Wk 11: 275km
    Wk 12: 185km
    Wk 13: 165km
    Wk 14: 330km
    Wk 15: 105km
    Wk 16: 150km
    Wk 17: ?
    Wk 18: France - Around 110k including Glandon, Galibier and Alpe d'Huez in days prior to Marmotte.

6. Anything else: Only you will know how much training you need as everyone is different. I used to play junior rugby so was some bit fit but had to lose weight - I am now a waifer thin 5'10" and 13st. I think some people can get carried away with the level of difficulty of the Marmotte. Yes it's hard if you haven't trained/don't cycle on a regular basis but we're not talking about climbing Everest either. Fair enough if you want to tear around in 8hrs then you'll have to train like an absolute lunatic but if your goal is to complete the route then get out regularly with a club. My motto is definitely quality over quantity. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I'll stick my €0.02 in for what it's worth. I'm 47 and did the Marmotte in 2008 and 2009 (Bronze and Gold resp.)

I agree with most of what's been said above, particularly don't overtrain, but do a lot of climbing training, and when you do climbing, climb.
    One good route I used is from Laragh over the Shay Elliot, over Slieve Maan, down to the smal stone bridge at the bottom and back to Derrybawn house outside Laragh.

That's 30k, 900+m of ascent and took me ~1:40, the hardest session I did training for the Marmotte last year was 3 repeats of that, followed by a climb up the Wicklow gap (All the way to the reservoir).

Going to France a week or so before and getting some real climbs in, to acclimatise to long ascents is also a good idea.

Gears, I used 34 X 27 which was fine, but I definitely needed it for the Galibier.

Last piece of advice, if you are like me and hate to be passed, you need to keep hold of yourself at the start and on the flat between the Glandon and Telegraph to make sure you don't end up at the back of a group od Dutch riders doing 45kph, blowing yourself up trying not to get dropped.

• Advertisement

okay.....have been battling severe anticlimax induced depression since the etape, so need something to focus on for the new year. am seriously considering the marmotte, quick and dirty. ie cheap. would be planning on heading over on the thursday/friday and back sunday. if anyone else is interested in this post on here or pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

1. Your Age
    3. Your time / medals
    6. Anything else?

1. 24

2. Novice. Started commuting in summer 2008, got a road bike Jan 2009 and set the Wicklow 200 as my goal with a mate. After we did that, needed a challenge and decided on the Marmotte in 2010. I had done 3 sportives before signing up and wasn’t (and still amn’t) in a cycling club. All training was done solo or with the aforementioned mate. Didn’t start training til November as I was doing the marathon, so was training for that.

3. 9:43 start to finish including the Glandon descent, good for a silver.

4. Basically I did two days a week. On Tuesdays before work we were heading down to 3 Rock for a few ascents. I had planned to build this up to doing 5 and 6 ascents by May, but that proved ambitious and we topped out at 4. 4 times up that bastard before 8am was draining enough, couldn’t manage any more. We did this all through the winter, barring the snowpocalypse, which in hindsight was not a good idea - there was more than one day when we had to stop before the top due to ice (and indeed two days before sunrise where it was so foggy we couldn’t see 2 meters in front of us), could have broken any number of bones descending. But we survived intact!

The second day was a long spin on Saturday down in Wicklow. I live in Swords, so just getting to the hills and back is a good 50km spin. This meant that at a minimum the Saturday spin was 140km, heading over all the area’s hills. No set route, we just headed out a bit further each week and took in as many hills as we could. Topped out with a sufferathon going over lots of hills (Stocking Lane, Kippure, Shay Elliot + Slieve Maan, back over SM + SE, Wicklow Gap) which took 10 hours w/ a stop. Had planned on going back over the Sally Gap via Kilbride and up Kippure again but we were dead coming back so just headed straight home. This was end of May, next week we did the Wicklow 200 (7:13 rolling time for me), and then our final biggie was 10 repeats of 3 Rock the week before we flew out. The first 8 were ok but we cracked on #9 in the heat (hah sounds hilarious now!! must've been a scorching 22 degrees) and #9 and #10 were the worst time I’d spent on a bike, which was great practice for Alpe d’Huez lemme tell you :)

The week before the Marmotte we did the course; Glandon one day, Telegraph and Galibier the next, then Alpe d’Huez.

Oh I should also say, at the start of March we took a week and went over to the Sierra Nevada in Spain for some cycling in real hills. The biggest climb we did there went from 0 to 1300m, which was good for getting used to just sitting and suffering for an hour+.

This was enough to get me around in my goal time - silver. My mate went nuts with the training and was out 5 days a week instead of my piddly 2 days, and he finished just under the gold cutoff.

5. Comments... hmm. I think my training was alright, I didn’t really suffer with the gradient at any point. I think I could probably have gone faster, but I was very worried about blowing up somewhere so I purposefully kept it slow all the way through. My thinking was, if I was feeling great then save it for the Alpe instead of cracking on Galibier and suffering like a dog.

If I was doing it again though I’d probably do less of the 180km spins, and more short high-intensity spins. There was a guy in our hostel who had done several Ironman triathlons, and afterward he reckoned that the Marmotte is basically a big intervals session. 60 minutes hard (climbing), 40 minutes recovery (descending), etc. I don’t know if I’d agree with that, but I’d definitely focus more on doing say 100km and doing it fast, than ambling along slow-ish for over 180km. I trained for going at a comfortable pace over a large distance, and that’s exactly what happened on the day.

6. Heat. The heat there is inhuman and it really caught me out. I suffered on Telegraph (35 degrees) but got up, and on Alpe d’Huez (39 degrees) I reckon I nearly got heatstroke. Had all the symptoms, and it was not a good time. So try to get some experience cycling in heat I guess? But definitely factor it in - don’t bring bars with chocolate in for example. Chocolate melting here makes a bit of a mess but you can still eat it, chocolate melting there turns into sludge that’s impossible to do anything with. Dump your bottles when they’re too warm - I wish I’d done this in Bourg. I filled my bottles at the top of Galibier but since it’s all downhill to Bourg I didn’t touch them, then set off up the Alpe with 39 degree bottles. I should have dumped them and refilled with cold water at the stop in Bourg. Also same thing on Telegraph now that I think about it, I skipped the (surprise) water stop at the bottom cos my bottles were full but again should have stopped and filled with cold water.

That’s about it I reckon, sorry that that’s so many words!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

I'm 30 now, a regular cyclist and occasional half-hearted racer (road, cyclocross, MTB). I did the Marmotte in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Times were 8:38, 8:03 and 8:08 respectively. I took it a little easy this year as immediately after the Marmotte I rode the Raid Alpine (750km and 22,000m climbing in 6 days!)

I didn't train specifically for the Marmotte but just did what I always do in training: a reasonable quantity of solid riding. Once you're physically able to sit on a bike for 8 or 10 hours (that is, your neck/knees/bum don't stop working) the next thing to concentrate on is upping your threshold power. Producing more power means either a) going faster for the same perceived effort and/or b) fatiguing less at a given perceived effort. Both are useful when you're riding up mountains all day.

Threshold power is very trainable. Just get some quality rides of an hour or two going more-or-less as hard as you can. This doesn't mean gasping for two hours because you won't be able to sustain that power. Ride at a pace that requires concentration and makes having a conversation difficult. Keep on it -- don't slack. There's no room for slacking on a mountain! You can ride like this on a climb, on the flat, or downhill (surprisingly hard). The key is just to keep riding hard! A couple of these sessions each week will make a huge difference, probably more than a very long but on average very easy spin with lots of drafting or chatting. Although they require concentration and are quite fatiguing they don't lead to the deep muscle soreness that high-intensity intervals or racing does. As a result, you can train at this level quite often. It gives the most bang for your buck.

People who train with power call this "sweet spot". It's usually done between 85% and 100% of the highest average power you can generate for a hour TT. I find my heart rate is somewhere between 150 and 165 (resting low 40s, max high 170s for me) for these sessions. HR increases over the duration of the session.

As for the route, the Glandon climb is long but on average not too steep or tricky. The descent off the Glandon is fast and technical. Be careful. It's no longer timed so don't worry about thrashing it. There's a flat drag along a busy road from the foot of this descent to the bottom of the Telegraphe. Huge groups will form here, most of them going very slowly as nobody wants to do work at the front. I'd recommend doing a few turns and seeing if you can get a small group who are prepared to work together. The pace need not be murder and you'll get to the Telegraphe a lot sooner than sitting in a bunch of 100 nervous riders all dodging the wind.

Telegraphe is straightforward. Water at the top, then a 4 or 5km descent to the foot of the Galibier. The first 5 (8? who knows) km are relatively benign at 5 or 6% but feel quite draggy. The food stop is a couple of km from the start of the climb which breaks it up a little. At Plan Lachat the road kinks around the valley and kicks up steeply. From here it's a case of grinding out your bottom gear to the top. Personally, I quite like this bit :~)

The descent off the Galibier is fast, wide, windy and non-technical. I don't like it. It's surprisingly hard work so don't flog yourself alone -- find a group. Watch out for the tunnels.

Alpe d'Huez is murder. I've come a cropper there every year -- nothing left. Nothing but grinding and grimacing to do here! Remember the first couple of hairpins are the steepest and that there's water about halfway up. Pour water on your head -- it feels lovely and really helps. Play this video, over and over and over, in your mind.

Eating is tricky. After a long hot day in the saddle you'll struggle to find something you can stomach. The food stops are reasonable and have dried fruit, bread, cheese (not much use nutritionally but a nice change) and cake. I find malt loaf works very well. A small malt loaf squishes down to a pretty compact package and contains around 600kcal of carbs. Aside from being a bit chewy it's easy to eat -- I can dispatch a whole one in no time at all.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Play this video, over and over and over, in your mind.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions!

How does conjuring up images of nauseating cheats help on a climb.???

Edit. Sorry. Off topic. Couldn't resist.:)

papac wrote: »
    How does conjuring up images of nauseating cheats help on a climb.???

Edit. Sorry. Off topic. Couldn't resist.:)

Bait not taken, sorry :~) My favourite bit from that video is Rubiera leading armstrong at the bottom of ADH. That section is hot and really steep but Rubiera is absolutely smashing it. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Ryder wrote: »
    i did this years etape, not marmotte, but presume much of the same applies. Lots of different training programs and the best would include a solid endurance base being developed in november to january through long slow cycles and then adding in interval and hill work as july draws near.

I did a low volume interval only program of 8hrs per week, 3 interval sessions on the turbo and 1lsd ride. If I could change anything, I would have dropped the lsd ride and added Yhrs of hill repeats or 1hr TT pace sessions instead. The climbs are tough, but the real challenge is the length - up to 2hrs of climbing!

I used a compact and 27 at the rear, and found this adequate. A standard 39/53 would be doable for any climb but after 3+ in a row......

Hi Ryder,
    Just a question in relation to hill work, I appreciate that there are no comparable climbs in this country, when you say hill work/repeats, do you literally mean going up a hill then back down and turning around doing it again. Does the fact that you are getting a rest coming back down defeat the purpose.

Yes and No....

Yes, hill repeats involve cycling up a hill, c5mins long as hard as you can manage, turning around and going back down (3 min break) repeat up to 5 times. A variant would be to find a 1hr long hill and do that 2 - 3 times. The shorter hills allow you to work at a high rate, and the downhills permits a short break....sort of like an unstructured interval.

I didnt do any of these. As I said, I found the LSD rides of 6hrs boring and probably useless as I think that anyone will last for 8hrs in the saddle as a one off. The hard bits were the climbs - 2hrs of unrelenting intensity. If I do the marmotte this year, I will do 20min intervals at level 4 instead of hill repeats. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

slightly off topic but what kind of gradiuent is the climbing? is it a long drag over a small gradient or long and steep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Really good link there Leroy 42, thanks. Some good tips from the other lads as well. I think training will be OK for me. Its the organisation I would like to find out a bit more about.

I'd like to know how you guys who did the event managed your travel/accommandation arrangements. Did you organise flights separatley or did you get an all-in-one package? Also how soon should I enter, like yesterday??

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Only seeing this now so bit late on the original reply.

I did the Marmotte this year (full marmotte review here). But in summary I got a gold time, age 25, and I only started back cycling in Dec 2008. I would be more of a serious cyclist now though I guess, at least in so far as I train seriously. Was doing 16-22 hours a week (ride time) before the marmotte.

Booking when it opens is recommended. It fills up and there is a limit on the number of entries. We entered on the morning and was 2500 or something. The further forward you are, the better too.

A lot of the accommodation for next year had actually been booked this year before this years marmotte strangely. I'm guessing this is due to the increasing popularity.

Training wise, get to like the hills. The event is full of them. And yes it is possible to like hills. I climbs SE/SM in the W200-2009 at ~6km/h, struggling the whole way. Roll forward 12 months and I enjoyed climbing the hills during the marmotte. I actually enjoy climbing hills more than going along the flats. The benefits of much time spent doing hill repeats on 3Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Sorry to bang on about this again.

Followed Ryaner's blog and links; it seems the travel company he went with are booked up apart from self-catering.

If any of the other lads could give me and other first-timers an idea of who they booked with or whether they found it straightforward enough to organise themselves, that would be much appreciated.

Trying to find the right combination of 'low cost' and reasonable amount of time out there to get settled in.

wont be able to go this year.....but had provisional plans made to fly, hire a car and camp out over there. May work out cheaper and more suitable than going with a company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

neris wrote: »
    slightly off topic but what kind of gradiuent is the climbing? is it a long drag over a small gradient or long and steep?

usually around 8% parts of the Glandon are 10-12% the first bit through the forrest is murder, then the next uphill @10% is murder, then a 10 sec descent then the next few hairpins are at 10-12% you are gagging here, but you are only about 1/2 way :eek: the rest settles down to a 5-6% avg or so, the worst is over the rest is a grind to the col.

then a 30-45min descent :), then the falseflat valley section, get in a group stay in it and hide and save energy for the Telegraph which is next. Telegraph is about a 7% avg, not overly steep, but its purpose is to soften your legs up for the Galibier, which starts after a 5min+ descent.

Now your really feeling it, save some for the final 5-6k, when the gradient really kicks up from 2000m [plan lachat] it is MURDER from here on at about 8-10% and the added 2000m of altitude kicks in. Survive to the top and its downhill for 1hr+, the Galibier descent is fast and technical untill you come to the junction [col du lautaret] the descent continues very fast, then at la grave the grade eases, and you want to be in a group here [if you were not already] as the wind is usually a headwind here, there are some some punchy climbs before you get back to bourg, bottom line save ALOT for Alpe D'huez you'll need it.

Ive done 4 marmottes and know all the climbs and descents like the back of my hand at this stage.

PB: 7hrs 23min, usually 7 1/2 - 8rs. Gold everytime

Training wise climbs in wicklow mountains is where its at or similar, you want climbs of 8-10% of about 5k and do repeats near threshold at least2-3 times, more if your general training allows it.
    also you want endurance base of at least 4hrs, remember half the day you are freewheeling at 60k/hr+

Also if you can get there a week before to do the climbs, climbing intervals like above are one thing, getting there and riding without let up for 40min -1hr 30+ is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know when entry for this opens? Can't see a date on the web anywhere.

@ Ryaner - is the climb to 3 rock the spin up the hill from Tick knock past the mtb trails? Presume it's doable at night if you've got decent lights fitted?. How many repeats were you doing, was it literally up, down and up again? Am tired just thinking about it..

Cheers,

rigal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The 3 Rock climb starts at Taylors / M50 bridge and goes right up to the mast at the top. It is doable in the dark with lights but do watch out over the winter. It gets quite foggy which hides the ice. And actually the fog was so thick on one morning that we were literally following the road by the difference in colour between the grass and tarmac a few inches in front of the wheel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

Registration is open....Just booked 4 of us on it via the French option, as there was some issues with the English option (might be resolved by now)
    No backing out now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Mellon wrote: »
    Registration is open....Just booked 4 of us on it via the French option, as there was some issues with the English option (might be resolved by now)
    No backing out now :eek:

as a matter of interest, what are you doing for transport and acommodation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

We haven't fully decided yet but probably stay in one of the campsites....even treat ourselves to one of the chalets. As for transport, that might be a minivan rental, or take the ferry option. But we are going to head over maybe 4-5 days earlier to get a feel for the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Anyone know if it's still possible to enter for 2011?
    Where's the link?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if it's still possible to enter for 2011?
    Where's the link?

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/index.php?langue=2

Registrations closed.

Advertisement