Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 Ultimate Fresh Install

• 25-07-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Recently got Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (7600 Build). Prior to that the PC was still on the BETA for Windows 7 (7100 Build).

So i put in the disk and boot from it and go through the motions. When i get to the screen where it asks where i want to install i only see the one partition. It informs me it will retain all the old information as 'Windows.old' where the information will be accessible but wont be able to boot from it.

I really wanted to do a complete reformat but didnt see the option to do so like im acustom to seeing on an XP boot disk.

I went through the install and everything was going fine. Started installing programs / transferring files from external HD etc. Then i noticed the HD seem to be struggling doing installs or copying files across. I initially thought the External HD was failing but no its definately the HD. So i decided to do a defrag and thought it would help but it doesnt. I really dont think its the HD failing because its only a few months old and it was working fine with the BETA build.

Getting to the point
    - Id like to do a complete reformat of the HD and do a brand new fresh install of Windows 7. Is there some menu i must go to first in order to do a complete reformat first. I dont recall seeing the options when going through the install first time around. Sorry for the long post but what should i be looking for ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Choose "Custom(advanced)" then click on "Drive options(advanced)" and you should be able to format or delete existing partitions and create new ones.

7068_08.jpg

7068_09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Perfect thanks alot!

I had gotten to that stage before but didnt notice the advice drive options in the second image.

Im inclined to think its a bad install rather than failing HD? What do you think?

For example i was trying to transfer large amounts of info (5gb+) from external HD to the PC HD and it would start fine then just randomly slow down really badly and freeze or hang. I thought it was the external HD failing but then when i tried installing some games it would happen halfway through the install. Be flying along and then just slow down to a complete halt.

Do you think that sounds like it failing or just a bad windows install? I guess if i do a complete reinstall and its still happening then i know the drive is failing. Its just odd it would be working perfectly fine then this would only happen after a new install of windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

what make + model internal HDD are you using/ most manufacturers offer disk diag programs for download..

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2

MarkJD wrote: »
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2

download and run this.. its designed to run from windows but there is a dos version if you want to run before installing os
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3&lang=en

• Advertisement

Ok so I just chose the format option but it was done in about 3 seconds. There was 220GB of info on there that doesn't seem right

Ok so I just chose the format option but it was done in about 3 seconds. There was 220GB of info on there that doesn't seem right

it may do that quick if it was quick format option.. id suggest running the diags otherwise you will end up going around in circles tbh

Ye only problem is I started new install before seeing that sorry!

I'll let this finish then do the diags and post results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Quick Format doesn't delete everything afaik. it basically just says to the os/installer this drive is NTFS and empty ,i.e you can write anywhere. any previous data is just overwritten.

similarly when you delete a file(not recycle) the os just marks the blocks of memory on the hard disk where the file is as "you are permitted to overwrite this data".

It wasnt a quick format option. It was just format it was done from the boot of the Windows 7 Disk. Not done within Windows.

• Advertisement

It wasnt a quick format option. It was just format it was done from the boot of the Windows 7 Disk. Not done within Windows.

is the os installed yet?

corkcomp wrote: »
    download and run this.. its designed to run from windows but there is a dos version if you want to run before installing os
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3&lang=en

So using the software you suggested. This is what it had to say.

Internal HD

Test Option: QUICK TEST
    Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKS-00M9A0
    Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAVC0339574
    Firmware Number: 05.01D05
    Capacity: 500.11 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: PASS
    Test Time: 17:04:19, July 25, 2010

External HD

Test Option: QUICK TEST
    Model Number: WD 2500JB External
    Unit Serial Number: WD-WCANK6024009
    Firmware Number: 0107
    Capacity: 250.06 GB
    SMART Status: PASS
    Test Result: PASS
    Test Time: 17:11:19, July 25, 2010

corkcomp wrote: »
    is the os installed yet?

Yes just wanted to get all apps installed and then did a defrag. Ran the results above after all this

So using the software you suggested. This is what it had to say.

ok looks good so far.. if you want to be extra sure there should be an extended or deep test option? this may take a while to run.. eventhough nothing so far is suggesting a hard disk fault.. it may be some other issue

It's so irritating because I started a 6gb transfer there 25 mins ago and stalls up halfway through and hasn't fog passed that point.

Yet the exact same data transfered across just fine on the windows 7 beta same pc 2 days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

could be a driver issue. Who knows for sure.

Your only other best option is to test a new drive. 3.5" Internals can be found cheap. Recently went to walmart and bought a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32mb cache for $89. .... nevermind its $10 cheaper anywhere else, but nobody else was opened when I wanted it. So Kudos to walmart, they earned that $10 markup!

You could always buy a matching caviar drive and then a) you find out its faster than your old drive, or b) its the same speed and you set them up in Raid 0. Either way, you win!

Advertisement