Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia GPS

• 25-07-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

For whatever reason I never have any problem getting a lock quickly on my 5800. Do you have "assisted GPS" turned on? It uses some data to speed up the initial location process (or something)
    The small sized screen is also not a problem for me. I usually rely on the spoken directions when driving. Actually one problem with the 5800 is that the sound comes out of my car's hand's free speakers and I have not yet found a way to control the volume of the directions. They seem to bypass the normal hands free volume.
    You would definitely need a car charger if you are going on journeys longer than say 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have tested a garmin against the latest maps, and i must say i preferred the nokia more so. It had better detail for some reason, and was just nicer for driving.

I do get a lock within 15 seconds now from startup but i always have assisted on, i have a data addon so i dont need to have it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Using the map loader is a great help on saving data transferred. Obviously it depends on how much you use it, but could be less then 10MB on a journey.

I will give mine a go with assisted over the next few days and try compare

Gave it a few routes just now in the offline mode and im hugely impressed. It worked just as good without the data connection. The lock was done in a few seconds. I thought at first it was so quick because the data was on till i got to the settings to switch it off, that it had made a lock before i switched it off. So i tried it at different locations, closed the maps app, drove about 15 miles, and when i reopened the app, if found where i was within 5 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Have you the the latest version (not firmware) on the 5800?

Today i was using it on a E72

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Not much help but when I first started using GPS on mine it was very slow. It seemed to get faster the more I used it. No idea why. Or maybe it got better with the various updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well when i had the N97 the 3.5" was ok...though it was slow to pick up the gps signal...but its more to do with the software...i get nearly instant gps signal on my htc hd2 now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

I've got a Nokia n96 and use Google Maps as well as Garmin - both work very well.

My wife has an N95 and it's nowhere near as good - the GPS in the N96 seem to be much more refined.

• Advertisement
Advertisement