Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband upgrade problems?

• 25-07-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Eircom seem to have upgraded my speed, I use to have 3mb, a while ago they sent a letter saying they were upgrading me free of charge to some new broadband.

I can see when I run speedtests I have been upgraded, I now get dl speeds like below 3.5-6.0Mb/s

But, my internet cuts off around once every hour or so, comes back within about 1 min buts its annoying.

Anyone else having the same problem?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It sounds like they've "upgraded" you to Next Generation Broadband but your line can't handle it.

What are your line stats i.e SN margin and Line Attenuation?
    You'll find them here -> http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm

Others will be able to interpret them and tell you what speeds your line can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Here you are.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5472 512
    SN Margin (dB) 5.80 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 31.50 19.00
    CRC Errors 1192 1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your snr is not great at all and when its low it can cause drop outs. when your speed is increased it puts extra pressure on the line and that reduces the snr (non teccy explanation!)

What is your internal wiring like by the way?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Hi dub45, thanks for help.

Not sure what you mean by internal wiring. The wireless modem is plugged into the main phoneline.

Whats odd about this is sometimes it can be fine and can be on for 2 hours using bandwidth, other times it just goes off every 10 minutes or so.

Advertisement