Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Rom?

• 25-07-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Right, so I was thinking of jumping onto the whole rooting buzz, just for sh*ts and giggles. But I was wondering what Rom you good folks would recommend? I'm quite fond of the sense Rom, so something similar to this would be spiffing. Can any of you recommend a Rom and why you think it'd be the best for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I assume since you mentioned Sense that you have a Hero, Legend or Desire? Which one? There are different ROMs for each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I have a HTC Desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fair enough..... I've a hero, so I'm not the best person to ask, sorry!

Take a look around the Desire forum on XDA and see if anything jumps out at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Perhaps we could have a sticky with the best recommended roms for each device.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Ditto here. Using the R6 version of Modaco and as always, its very very good. Stable and fast and everything works.
    adrian522 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

I'm using Leedroid - on 1.4c bt just about to drop 1.5b on the phone

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=724123

There's a few good things in there like circle battery mod, proper apps2sd, lots of free space - not too much cr*p, trackpad to wake etc ... also he seems to be doing lots of performance work and is trying to get 720p video capture done right (low FPS at the moment)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm using Leedroid - on 1.4c bt just about to drop 1.5b on the phone

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=724123

There's a few good things in there like circle battery mod, proper apps2sd, lots of free space - not too much cr*p, trackpad to wake etc ... also he seems to be doing lots of performance work and is trying to get 720p video capture done right (low FPS at the moment)
    Are you able to move all your apps to sd card with that ROM?

not sure about moving them - you can choose default install location .. i have 1.5gb ext3 partition so everying goes to SD card ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I am using Cyanogen mod 6 (2.2) on a g1 on three.

would be amazing on a faster device but quite fast considering its a g1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

not sure about moving them - you can choose default install location .. i have 1.5gb ext3 partition so everying goes to SD card ..
    Cheers. I have OpenDesire and downloaded SetInstallLocation and managed to move some apps but most the the larger ones like Twitter and Facebook I can't move and would love to know how to move them if possible.

just checked and can't move Facebook to SD .. says its only 252kb though ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

me likey!!!
    had open desire
    not great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

This one is working pretty well for me, haven't really seen much in the way of problems so far - Official Froyo HTC Sense ROM (16/07 v1.0c | OpenDesire Team)

I've way more apps installed than when I was on the stock ROM and > 80Mb free internal phone storage.

opus wrote: »
    This one is working pretty well for me, haven't really seen much in the way of problems so far - Official Froyo HTC Sense ROM (16/07 v1.0c | OpenDesire Team)

I've way more apps installed than when I was on the stock ROM and > 80Mb free internal phone storage.
    Are you able to move bigger apps to sd?

Are you able to move bigger apps to sd?

I was only able to move around 6 of them originally but once I repartitioned the SD card, it looks like the apps2sd stuff on the ROM kicked in & moved a big chuck of the rest. Not sure how to tell what's where now, the ones I moved myself have the option to move them back to the phone but none of the others make any mention of where they are.

CM6 does not have any problems with moving apps to the sd.

CM6 does not have any problems with moving apps to the sd.
    Is that all your apps? Do you have a link to that ROM?

cyanogenmod.com - rc1 is there, I am not sure if the link to RC2 is up yet but it is out.

Eh apparently some apps dont work well on sd but nearly every app has switched so it is able to be moved to the sd.

I just moved astro, skymap, doubletwist, evernote, aldiko and apps like that to my sd as I still have a bit of space left on my phone.

cyanogenmod.com - rc1 is there, I am not sure if the link to RC2 is up yet but it is out.

Eh apparently some apps dont work well on sd but nearly every app has switched so it is able to be moved to the sd.

I just moved astro, skymap, doubletwist, evernote, aldiko and apps like that to my sd as I still have a bit of space left on my phone.
    So if I have ROM Manger it is as easy as this:

This must be done on a ROM that has root access (ie, su & Superuser.apk).

Search for ROM Manager in the Market (free or paid) and install the app.
    Open the ROM Manager application and choose the first option in the app, "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery".
    Click on your device "HTC Desire" and then you may need to give the app root permission if it prompts you. If it does prompt for Superuser access, make sure "Remember" or "Always" is selected before you choose "Allow".
    If it hangs after that and freezes up, just allow the app to Force Close. Then open it back up and repeat steps 2 and 3.
    If the flash was successful a dialog box should pop up saying "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!". Press OK.

• Advertisement

I dont use rom manager.

The one time I tried rom manager it failed the initial back up three times so I uninstalled it and re installed amon-ra.

What you said above that only installs clockwork - am I missing something?

I presume after that you would use rom manager to back up and flash the rom?

So ye do that if you want - but the manual way is easier/better especially since for cm you only enter one root command on the phone itself so it is fairly self explanatory.

This may so like I love the manual way but honestly usually I prefer the easier gui way but I had nothing but problems using rom manager.

I dont use rom manager.

The one time I tried rom manager it failed the initial back up three times so I uninstalled it and re installed amon-ra.

What you said above that only installs clockwork - am I missing something?

I presume after that you would use rom manager to back up and flash the rom?

So ye do that if you want - but the manual way is easier/better especially since for cm you only enter one root command on the phone itself so it is fairly self explanatory.

This may so like I love the manual way but honestly usually I prefer the easier gui way but I had nothing but problems using rom manager.
    You would be correct :o

I will give the new ROM an install tonight if I get a chance

Give it a try through rom manager I would be interested to know if it works.

Cos clearly it works maybe it was just me or maybe just the gui backup that was the problem.

But the cyanogen wiki is perfect for the manual way as is the irc for questions should you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

I'm currently using [ROM] Pays-ROM Desire Froyo Sense v1.3 A2SD+ with Addon Packages [25th July 2010] and it works flawlessly. I've tried most of the ROMS on XDA's website and this is the best I've found (difficult to call a rom "the best" as its mostly personal preference)

App2SD+, Trackball wake, wifi tether, wifi hotspot, flash, removed annoying htc boot screen etc... all come as default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've tried a few too, having used DJ Droid 1.1 for a few days, it is staying.

I'm totally confused about what ROM I need.

Phone is rooted running OpenDesire Froyo with Sense

I'll lay it down as best I can. I currently only have over 28mb of internal memory and want to install Co-Pilot but as soon as I do I get the "running of out memory error".

Anyhow, I have installed Apps2SD and SetInstallLocation as I wanted to be able to install most if not all of my apps on the SD card. I have managed to install some apps on the SD card but none of the larger apps that are taking up lots of space.

So if someone can dumb it down and explain exactly what I need to do I would be grateful :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im using open desire. I have the same problem with memory apart from that its great very quick

I've got 104MB available space under internal phone storage with LeeDroid 1.6 .. quick and stable (running a couple of days) and with a few nice apps (battery % + a nice system info app) ... i have 82 items under all apps - not sure if that's a lot .. everything is on the SD card

• Registered Users Posts: 9 asafavour

Found a nice write-up on Lifehacker about choosing the best ROM for you and the differences between the most common ones Lifehacker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

as far as i'm aware most of the rooting kits online work for the older screens and trying to use one on a new SLCD screen would not work, can anyone link me to a root manual that would work with a SLCD screen? i'm gonna try flash modaco...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

I'm running Pinky Desire Classic on my phone. Minimalist ROM without any bloatware, has an adblocker too. Basically includes most of the HTC apps and widgets without running Sense ( I much prefer LauncherPro). Love it, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

bbor005 wrote: »
    I'm running Pinky Desire Classic on my phone. Minimalist ROM without any bloatware, has an adblocker too. Basically includes most of the HTC apps and widgets without running Sense ( I much prefer LauncherPro). Love it, I have to say.

I thought this one had pretty poor battery life when I user it. Using opendesire now, only 75 MB, and has good battery life.

bbor005 wrote: »

I'm running the other version of Pinky although have also switched to LauncherPro, just too lazy to reflash again with the Classic version as I'm happy enough with the current setup. Battery life seems okish to me, it doesn't drop very much when left on over night but I'm sure Juicedefender is helping with that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Nekro Man wrote: »
    as far as i'm aware most of the rooting kits online work for the older screens and trying to use one on a new SLCD screen would not work, can anyone link me to a root manual that would work with a SLCD screen? i'm gonna try flash modaco...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748618

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just got a HTC Desire - I'm a total newbie at these things but I would like to put a better ROM on with a few extra bells and whistles, namely Google Voice Actions. Can anyone recommend a good one for me? Or is there a site which compares them?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

i`ve been using nextsense since v.3 very happy with it. runs fast and everything works.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=742371

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK so after loads of trying, I finally managed to get a rom installed. I tried 3 different ones from the SD card, they all failed and for some reason would not install, the phone kept rebooting etc etc and gave some error when I went into Rom Manager again. The only way I managed to install one (pinky) was downloading from within Rom manager.

So it now works but I did not realise it wipes everything and I now have to spend hours getting all my settings back - ahhhh! I'm not sure if that's what happens or maybe did I cloose the 'wipe' option - which I did not realise what it actually did. Crap. If I want to, can I get back to the original rom? <edit: I did a recover and it's bacj - phew!>

I just can't get the LeeDroid one to work, grr, what can I do to try to fix this?

Sounds liek you did a wipe first time, without a backup you're going to have to redownload your apps. Contacts should have sync'd with google

If you upgrade without wiping its quite possible you can't see any difference, menu>settings>about phone>software information will tell you whats installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

In future, make sure you make all contacts Google contacts and the will take care of that. Now that u r rooted, download titanium back up to back up your apps.

OK I got it back to how it was before - original OS and all my programs & settings etc, so its cool. However any time I try to install a new ROM, it does not work. It just reboots, and then when I go back into ROM Manager I get this message:
    1) Flash an alternate or older recovery and then flash back to the current version
    2) Try enabling Erase REcovery in ROM managers settings
    3) Try clearing the download cache via the menu and reflashing
    4) Flash back to an older recovery
    5) Fastboot or SBF a recovery onto your phone from your PC

I've tried a load of times now and just cannot get it to work. Once it stalled completely at the 02 boot screen and I had to pull the battery.

What is it about my phone that gives me all these dam problems?
    :(:(:(

Edit: I won't clog this thread any longer - please see: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056022776

Lads what Rom is decent that you can get from Downloading from within Rom Manager? I've tried and tried but I'm completely unable to get one to install from the sd card normally - I just get all sorts of errors. The only time I was able to get one working is when I downloaded from within ROM manager and installed there.

Most of the ones in the list I have never heard of and the Adam G Open Desire gives an error..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm running pinky1.8 from the Rom manager.
    Task for next week is to go back to modaco. Prefer modaco to pinky, but it doesn't install via the manager but does work fine from the boot one (clockwork in my case).
    Any particular reason for not liking the copy zip method?

I've never had any trouble installing modaco or others in rom manager. Check the obvious things like the zip is transfering fully etc etc

Some of the older modaco roms wouldn't allow rom manager to get the phone to reboot but thats sorted now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Anybody know of any fully functioning roms based on the Desire HD version of sense yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

floggg wrote: »
    Anybody know of any fully functioning roms based on the Desire HD version of sense yet?

Not that I've seen, and I've been keeping an eye out. Camera seems to be the only remaining thing to fix. So if you can do without the camera, then check out XDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Not that I've seen, and I've been keeping an eye out. Camera seems to be the only remaining thing to fix. So if you can do without the camera, then check out XDA.

Thanks. Probably can, but would like to be sure e everything is fully figured out before I install.

What's the best roms out at the minute generally (preferably sense based, though not essential).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Is nandroid used to back-up texts and call logs and stuff like that? I figured I wouldn't bother with it after I backed up with titanium, now I've got no texts. Also lost all my login details like to facebook and twitter ect.

Couldn't remember how I went about it the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

floggg wrote: »
    Thanks. Probably can, but would like to be sure e everything is fully figured out before I install.

What's the best roms out at the minute generally (preferably sense based, though not essential).

This seems to be the best in a HD rom at moment. Everything seems to work except the camera. There are a set of YouTube demos at the start of the thread so you can see how it's doing and if you read the thread you can see how users are doing with it.

The link mentioned earlier by JustinOval will show you the big picture for Desire.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

• Advertisement
Advertisement