Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the catch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the potential neighbours i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Why?
    It looks pretty small, yard overlooked by tall buildings. Its in Waterford.
    I'm sure you could find small houses for not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

would vote for a catch as well. neighbours are a good point but could be anything else either.
    all speculative, we won't find out until going and visit:).do you live close enough to have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Perhaps the vendor is simply being realistic?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

A quick look on Daft shows there are 1,364 properties for sale in Waterford City at present. This is in a city with a population of about 50,000.
    Just for comparison Dublin City has 5,823 properties for sale with a population of 1,200,000. Remember prices are still falling in Dublin.

I think based on these figures property in Waterford is going to plummet. €65,000 for a 2 bedroomed flat is certainly no bargain and will seem less so in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Flat is on the small side and as others have said, the market is in the dumps. I find it a bit strange that it is being sold furnished, makes me think owner needs to sell quickly (emmigrating, or original owner died maybe, or bought as investment property and now cannot pay mortgage?), hence priced to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bowel Cancer

The presumption of their being a 'catch' is just another property bubble hangover. It's a poky dump in a grim port city ravaged by unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

OMD wrote: »
    A quick look on Daft shows there are 1,364 properties for sale in Waterford City at present. This is in a city with a population of about 50,000.
    Just for comparison Dublin City has 5,823 properties for sale with a population of 1,200,000.

While I agree with your overall sentiment you need to consider also that some (most?) properties areon the books of more than one agent and hence same property listed on Daft more than once. Also an agent may only put one house in as representative of the entire estate if they are selling many houses in same estate. You can see how the figures can easily get skewed and hence I wouldn't read too much into the absolute numbers as per Daft.

OP you seriously wouldn't see yourself living in such an apartment for more than a few years? I think even those with modest demands among us would generally aspire to living in a better property/ proper house than such a pokey little shoebox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

How much would this apartment rent for?

A look at 2 bed rentals in Waterford has similar properties asking c. €400pm so if you were to get that you'd be getting a 7.4% gross yield. Not bad. Average Dublin properties are hoping for a c.3% yield

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The presumption of their being a 'catch' is just another property bubble hangover. It's a poky dump in a grim port city ravaged by unemployment.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

groom wrote: »
    How much would this apartment rent for?

A look at 2 bed rentals in Waterford has similar properties asking c. €400pm so if you were to get that you'd be getting a 7.4% gross yield. Not bad. Average Dublin properties are hoping for a c.3% yield

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=885781

€115 a week for this exact apartment

Advertisement