Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Longford town

Options
  • 25-07-2010 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

We are a foreign couple considering a move to Longford town in the near future due to a job offer.(Living in Dublin now) Have heard controversial things about the area, so would be grateful to hear any info, advice and experience about the current conditions of living in Longford.. Interested in any aspect of it!
    Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xjennyx

stay where you are seriously, Longford aint the best place to move too,i live 5 miles from the town and i hate it.Theres nothing in it to do,if ye want to move id say go for maybe athlone,mullingar or caven.
    anyway its up to you but thats my advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 furjaka

Thx xJennyx!
    I didn't expect it to be an exciting area(regarding nite life etc) for sure, but would u consider it a save place to live and work at? Are people friendly? Only have had good experience so far, over here in Dublin and we wish to continue in the same way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xjennyx

nite life aint the best, people friendly eh some are depending where your living out wer i live they aint one bit friendly, as for work no, since in the recession ders no work people are doing courses more over here

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Its not too bad..
    A lot depends on where you live. I'd seriously recommend that you take a lot of time in selecting your house and that you like the area/meet some neighbours before you sign a lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

furjaka wrote: »
    We are a foreign couple considering a move to Longford town in the near future due to a job offer.(Living in Dublin now) Have heard controversial things about the area, so would be grateful to hear any info, advice and experience about the current conditions of living in Longford.. Interested in any aspect of it!
    Thank you all in advance!

What types of things have you heard?

Like every small town,Longford has been badly hit by the recession and like every small town there is an element of not nice people in it but most of the time its grand and the people are friendly.There are lots of houses in nice quiet areas that are available to rent on the outskirts of the town.If you have any specific questions by all means send me a private message and I will try to answer them for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

To the OP, I can help a little bit:
    1. You said you are a a "foreign" couple, you need to be more clear about that, as I'm sorry to say there is a small undercurrent of racism around. If you're black I would suggest some caution. Western European, Polish, Oriental etc you should be OK.
    2. If you want the idyll of a country house, I estimate most houses in the county have a council water supply (as opposed to group schemes or private wells), we also have good fixed line broadband coverage just outside each of the main towns and villages as most exchanges are enabled. If BB service is important but you want to live in the countryside, you should select a house within 2 miles (preferably less) of a town or village. Also use Eircom's line checker on the house's existing phone number if it has one.

If you want to live in Longford town even better, because Crossan Cable runs a really fast internet service in the town.
      Most/all garbage collection in the county is done by private operators such as (but not limited to) Mulleady's
    3. There are plenty of knackers around the town, so you have to be careful where you would buy a house, I don't live in the town so I cannot help you there, again you could avoid the problem entirely by buying a rural house. The town centre is safe to shop and do business in.
    4. Your job has to be considered as well: you don't really want to commute to Dublin as the length of the commute will trash your quality of life. I would suggest Kilcock or Enfield, Mullingar at most for a commute to Dublin city, particularly South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'd agree with most of what seanw has said.

I own a house only 3 miles outside the town and I love it. Good sized for the price, quiet area and friendly neighbours. I would feel exceptionally safe there. Going into the town is a different story. It's fine for shopping, work, etc but for living purposes there are only a small number of places I'd live and these would be more expensive. Most places have a high number of council housing, and within these here is always a number who are intend on destroying everything around them. I know of people who have given houses back to the council as they couldn't put up with some of their neighbours behaviour. I think the increase in unemployment has made this even worse.

There is plently to do in the town though, with many various sports clubs, bowling, cinema, some great restaurants and some lovely pubs (quiet or lively, depending on the mood!). Outsiders always say they have a great night out in Longford.

The town has a lot going for it as well so dont let the negative comments put you off. If you are careful about where you live then it can be a great place to live it just depends on what exacty you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

nest have lived in the town for the last 22 years and its the same as any rural town in Ireland. i live in the town, teffia to be precise and its a quiet place to live,lots of young families around when i was growing up and not a council estate,few houses for rent around the place but apart from that all privately owned, we have a good community scheme set up who are currently putting flower pots up all around the estate and flower beds and of coarse we have the big green in the middle and the canal walk not 100m away which is a lovely walk in the evenings! like everywhere,avoid certain parts of the town and its grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sponatenous

Hi

I'm new in Longford trying to make new friend to have a laugh but seems difficult any one here open to show me around places and chat.

Advertisement