Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can any Scientists give me a hand?!!

Options
  • 25-07-2010 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

So i'm going into second year and I get my subject streams in the post a week or so ago. I got Microbiology and zoology. I really wanted to get physiology so i'm fairly disappointed.

Last year the cut off point for the GPA to get you into physiology was 2.9 and I got 2.87 so I thought I might get it but obviously not.

Anyone know if there's any chance of me getting into physiology? I heard they normally let a few extra in?

Anyone had an experience like this that can give a bit of advice?

Any help would be great,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Drop a line to the Science Programme office, they'll be the best ones to talk to about this.

http://www.ucd.ie/science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Drop a line to the Science Programme office, they'll be the best ones to talk to about this.

http://www.ucd.ie/science

Yeah i'm going to call them tomorrow. I tried last week but got the answer machine.

Anyone had an experience like this before and got through it?

So sickened over this but nobody to blame but myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why don't you just stick with Microbiology and Zoology? The same thing happened to me in arts, I ended up doing a degree in something I knew nothing about and it turned out to be the best decision ever.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Why don't you just stick with Microbiology and Zoology? The same thing happened to me in arts, I ended up doing a degree in something I knew nothing about and it turned out to be the best decision ever.

If I get physiology I'll be doing it with micro so it'll just be zoology that will change.

I like zoology so it's not a disaster if I don't get physiology i'd just rather do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Zoology is crap. I know a few in the class, they didn't have much work to do and weren't very interested overall. The department is messy and disorganised.
    I think if you kick up a fuss you'll get in but you'll really have to work harder than that! 3rd year results are VERY important for post grad.

• Advertisement

rantyface wrote: »
    Zoology is crap. I know a few in the class, they didn't have much work to do and weren't very interested overall. The department is messy and disorganised.
    I think if you kick up a fuss you'll get in but you'll really have to work harder than that! 3rd year results are VERY important for post grad.

Cheers for the advice. Yeah I know I need to cop on a lot, did nothing but go out last year so i'm gonna have to slow that down a bit. Hopefully they'll give me the second chance anyhoo.

Edit: I'm only going into second year now, but still, big kick up the arse is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Last year the cut off point for the GPA to get you into physiology was 2.9 and I got 2.87 so I thought I might get it but obviously not.

I assume it's a bit late now but you'd probably have managed to that .03 bumped up by your lecturers after you got your results if you had have gone and spoken to them or appealed your results directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

~~PHYSICS~~

Oh yeah baby ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laser Shots

best thing to do is go talk to the head of science, or the programmes office

i got micro and zoology in my 2nd year stream, stuck with micro and i'm going into 4th year into september
    i thought zoology was fairly boring to be honest from the modules i did

good luck anyways

Ok I've been talking with the programme office and they told me to take the core physiology modules as well as the micro and zoology ones and I should be in with a shot of getting physiology for third year. Missed out on physiology by 0.05 on my GPA so that's a pain in the arse. It's not as bad as it sounds though because some of my core modules are the same as the physiology ones so it's only 3 modules that i wouldn't otherwise be doing. No electives for me though so I may stick the head down!

Thanks anyway people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Keep emailing them when you've got problems like that....my sister's just finished UCD science and she definitely spent a lot of time emailing the dept over her classes and what she should get into (indicates a crappy system to me.....she got top of her class this year and last year, so it wasn't like she missed cut off points or anything). They helped her out as much as possible, but I thought the whole thing was messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

rantyface wrote: »

I just pmd the op there :rolleyes:

Advertisement