Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet access at Fitzhaven Square?

• 25-07-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Greetings all...

My Mom... 83 years old... lives in Fitzhaven Sqr. I live in Toronto Canada... I'm coming over for about three weeks at the end of august and am seriously considering getting her an iPad and Internet access. She's never used a computer before... Pray for me... This will be a challenge.

1st question... What's the availability of the iPad in limerick? Or should I source one here in Canada? I'll be getting her the 16GB wi-fi only model (or would getting the 3G make this all much much easier?)

Putting 3G aside for the moment? What are her Internet options?

(back to 3G ... Who offers a decent data package... 1-2 GB month?)

Given the circumstances? Service/up times trumps speed of access.

Another factor is time to install... I have no idea what might be involved... Don't even know who her tv cable provider is... Finding that out later today

Any help... Comments... Opinions... Experiences would appreciated

Slainte
    DU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Darkumbra wrote: »
    Greetings all...

My Mom... 83 years old... lives in Fitzhaven Sqr. I live in Toronto Canada... I'm coming over for about three weeks at the end of august and am seriously considering getting her an iPad and Internet access. She's never used a computer before... Pray for me... This will be a challenge.

You are better off sourceing it in Canada. apple products are a rip off over here.

You may want to check if you need to buy an additional power supply though. our electicity system uses 230 volts, whilst I think your country uses 110 volts.
    1st question... What's the availability of the iPad in limerick? Or should I source one here in Canada? I'll be getting her the 16GB wi-fi only model (or would getting the 3G make this all much much easier?)
    Putting 3G aside for the moment? What are her Internet options?

You can contact comreg for a list of isps http://www.askcomreg.ie
    (back to 3G ... Who offers a decent data package... 1-2 GB month?)

Vodafone will give you the better coverage. they also have a pre-pay option where you only buy credit when you need it.
    Given the circumstances? Service/up times trumps speed of access.

Ireland is not a third world country, you might have down time once every 12 months.
    Another factor is time to install... I have no idea what might be involved... Don't even know who her tv cable provider is... Finding that out later today

You need to find this stuff out before you go adding expenses upon her. If she is with UPC for example, they do quite a good and reliable internet phone and TV offer.
    Any help... Comments... Opinions... Experiences would appreciated

Slainte
    DU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Darkumbra

Thanks for the info.

Ireland a 3rd world country? Don't know where you picked that from my note. There are always bad service providers... I live in Toronto and there are a few I'd steer folks away from. Besides... I grew up in Ireland, visit at least once a year. And even work there on occasion.

Turns out Mom is on Chorus (UPC?) for the telly and they offer a service that seems to match my needs.

As to the iPad - might be best to pick one up here and then just pick up the USB wall plug locally. All comps these days handle a mix of power needs - though I'll check to make sure on that.

Again. Thanks for the help. Just for kicks I'll look at 3G options as well. I doubt that would make sense both for cost and speed reasons.

DU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The IPAD starts from €499 here in Ireland for the basic 16GB version with Wi-Fi.

More info here: http://store.apple.com/ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Darkumbra

bazz26 wrote: »
    The IPAD starts from €499 here in Ireland for the basic 16GB version with Wi-Fi.

More info here: http://store.apple.com/ie

Hmm... It's $549 here - with the current exchange rate... I'd be saving myself about $200 to buy it here.

Advertisement