Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site at top google map spot for keywords but not linked

Options
  • 25-07-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I was amazed to see my hours of SEO reading and implementing on a new site for a friend pay off the other day with a No.1 google spot for a number of main two and three word search terms we were targeting - the no.1 spot also shows the google map location beside the site.

What's annoying me is that initially after about two months the search terms would return a large google map showing 6 other businesses with us at no.7 spot and the business name directly linked to the site (which is normal).

Now though since we got the no.1 spot for the same targeted search terms we are the only business google are showing on the map, we've bumped the other businesses and they've decided to zoom into only our business location for all of the search terms - which is absolutely fantastic! But the name of the business from the google search is now not directly linked to the site - you have to click on the little google map that appears and then click through to the site from there - this may not be a huge deal but I would prefer if the returned main google search was directly linked to the site.

The business location on google places is claimed by us so is there a setting or something I might have messed with that stops the main google search directly linking to the site?

Very much appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

Incase anyone else find this searching for same - it appears to be a change made by google this month and is not an error. If your site is returned in a one box google place map the title isn't directly linked and anyone who wants to get to your site has to click through to the map before getting your site address.

Not sure if I like this, I think some people might wonder where the link is and not know to click through (as did the friend I set the site up for) - giving more click throughs to second rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

To be frank, if the traffic you were getting was really significant for the previous incarnation then i would be worried. If the traffic is minuscule then there is no real worry.

Its also a bit hard to give you a prognosis without seeing this in real time

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

The traffic is both miniscule and significant :p , it's not a high traffic business at all with between 1-5 customers a week but these few customers bring in high revenues so the few who go looking online we need to snag them. When asking customers where they heard about the business well over half say google, so I'll be keen to see if it has any effect over next while.

Yeah it would probably help if I put up the site alright but I've been asked not to by the owner but here's a blog post about it. Although they're saying google is putting the search result above the map, this isn't the case for our site (and I saw someone else in Australia mentioning this too).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

Hi Worc,
    I was searching for that blog post and there you were, BAM.

Congratulations, especially if the business is local (Which I imagine is incredibly important to you seeing you're putting so much effort in).

I was not aware that this had been rolled out in Ireland. Exciting stuff. Notice there's nothing (or hardly nothing) from the organic results appearing in those results.

Google is shifting more and more to being search engine AND destination. Giving the answers needed directly in the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

RedFly wrote: »
    Google is shifting more and more to being search engine AND destination. Giving the answers needed directly in the search.
    This has become a very noticeable trend in recent times and one I expect will continue, probably even gaining pace.

It'll be interesting to see if the point raised by Reza in that blog...
    Organic search results are now falling below the fold on my laptop making the ppc listing stand out.
    has a noticable impact on relevant PPC results. Logic would suggest it would (and that it might not be an 'accidental' side effect).

• Advertisement
Advertisement