Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game TV Shows

Options
  • 25-07-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering does anyone else here watch Video game shows on tv.I can't find any good ones.
    Playr (which is hardly fantastic) hasn't been on tv in months besides on youtube. Then you've that show on Bravo,Gameface what a insult to television that pile of Garbage is.Badly presented,Bad Reviews & its like they review games that are cheap in the shops are that.Is there anything else besides that.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

I know there's a show called xplay in america, not sure if it's shown here though.

Gamertv was really good, not sure why it was cancelled.

Anyone remember gamesville? What a good show :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

And who could forget the Guru :D, great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Guru who lived in the Attic & kinda had a headache when giving Cheats & Tips.
    I enjoyed Gameswipe but I know a lot didn't.The parts with Dara O'Briain & Graham Linehan were good & I got a kick out of Charlie Brooker calling Mario King MegaBitch in the Ladies Prison of Platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Charlie Brooker doing a monthly news / reviews show would be class.

Does anyone remember Cybernet on TG4? Back in the day before I could afford magazines, or even heard of t'internet, I used to watch this regularly. What was with the dancing robot with the TV for a head! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

hellboy99 wrote: »
    And who could forget the Guru :D, great show.

Christ I forgot about the Guru, I grew up watching him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bits was my favourite for some reason ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i loved bad influence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Consolevania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone remember the Short lived Game Station channel it was mainly woeful.I liked the Pulse Channel,I remember they had a show called Games night that I enjoyed.
    Its a pity that Video Game Channels try to overuse the whole Competitive gaming aspect of Video games.Noting as cringeworthy as people commentating Halo 3 or Call of Duty as if its a Sport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, the bastard child of Gamesmaster, Craig David lookalikes and overuse of the letter 'G'.

I wish I could eject the memories of Gamesville from my head. Worst of all, it was still the best thing on during my after school 'TV before homework' hour :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah, the bastard child of Gamesmaster, Craig David lookalikes and overuse of the letter 'G'.

I wish I could eject the memories of Gamesville from my head. Worst of all, it was still the best thing on during my after school 'TV before homework' hour :pac:

man i soo wanted a G-Team t-shirt :/

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Agricola wrote: »

Does anyone remember Cybernet on TG4? Back in the day before I could afford magazines, or even heard of t'internet, I used to watch this regularly. What was with the dancing robot with the TV for a head! :D
    I remember Cybernet alright, though didn't know it was on TG4. I used ot see it latenight on UTV.

Another one I remember is Ex Machina, that used to be on [.tv] on Sky - shame they closed that channel. The lovely Kate Russell (she wasn't on Ex Machina, just .tv channel) now has a segment on Click on BBC News Channel.

Bits on C4 used to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I remember GamesMaster with Dominc Dimond and Sir Patrick Moore giving out the cheats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GamesMaster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Agricola wrote: »

A) - Oh god yes Charlie Brooker doing a regular games show would be awesome.

B) - Cybernet was suprisingly good and up to date, mainly due to the repetitive nature of the dancing robot (who REALLY should have got his own game in fairness). Biggest problem TV shows face is all the filming and post-production means they have weeks old news and thats a killer in the internets age. Suprising a lot of TV companies have'nt thrown together some web shows for short 5 minute slots or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Consolevania
    Long may you live in our memories.

*sniff*

For your reading pleasure:
    The Vague History of Videogame Shows
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

Wonderful, just wonderful!
    If BITS and videoGaiden were a step forward in videogame TV, then Gamezville was the equivalent of some redheaded stepchild locked away by his domineering mother in the early 90’s and then let out into the ironic, post-modern, world of the 00’s. Only his genuine childish enthusiasm, conveyed by outdated slang, was real and people didn’t laugh with him, they laughed at him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

gamesmaster was awesome. But bits came along at the right time for me, when i was about 15 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I kind of like Gameface. The girl's cute and they've got a wide variety of games shown as opposed to the older shows that only showed games that their sponsors made.

You don't really get many tv shows anymore because they're cheaper to do online. It's a pity really, because for some bizarre reason I prefer to see them on tv.

i knew i blanked this from my mind...
    and this guy:
    bigboybarry.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Man the memories! I used to love staying up late waiting for BITS and Cybernet when they were on. The genuine excitement and giddiness of me for a gaming tv show was a bit embarrassing. But I looked forward to nothing more than watching these shows for some reason :o

I was really young when GamesMaster was on. Like 10 or 11 I think. But I loved that show as well.

Overall I'd say my favourite was BITS. Hot women that seemed to know more about gaming than me, when I was 15? It could never fail really, could it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha, those programs hold some great memories with me. I was watching Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe and when Big Boy Barry came on I marked out! Yeah, I have Chorus NTL and there's no good gaming shows I'd consider worth watching on it.

I usually just download videos from GameTrailers, ScrewAttack etc and watch them on the TV :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What was the name of the channel that supported the legend of mir mmo? there was a guy called karl and an italy girl called bettina on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What was the name of the channel that supported the legend of mir mmo? there was a guy called karl and an italy girl called bettina on it.

That was actually a great show. The Irish guy actually posts here every so often under spookydonkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Just got a real flashback - Digitiser on channel four teletext! haha

I know it's not a show, but I loved reading that. Went a bit rubbish at one point though. But it had a couple of years that it was legendary.

Anybody used to read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Would love to get Bits on youtube or somewhere else, purely for nostalgia reasons.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That was actually a great show. The Irish guy actually posts here every so often under spookydonkey.

Ya I agree with you there,it was great.

WTF?! spooky used to be on telly? been to a load of LANs with the guy, have to rip him on this when i next see him :pac:

what was the show about exactly? (need ammo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Short lived Game Station channel it was mainly woeful.

I think it turned into Babestation.

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    WTF?! spooky used to be on telly? been to a load of LANs with the guy, have to rip him on this when i next see him :pac:

what was the show about exactly? (need ammo)

If Im thinking of the right person I think he was on the show for the legend of mir.

Advertisement