Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview for B2 Holiday Visa

Options
  • 25-07-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello
    Just looking for advise and feedback from people who have gone through the interview for a holiday visa for the US.

How long is it?

How formal is it?

What questions can I expect?

What documents should I bring to prove my ties to Ireland (this is the one that's bothering me as im currently unemployed and living at home with no outstanding debts)?

I applied for the ESTA but was declined so don't qualify for the visa waiver program. Forgot I was arrested and very surprised it has been recorded and passed onto the US as I was never charged with anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

MoBoird wrote: »
    I applied for the ESTA but was declined so don't qualify for the visa waiver program. Forgot I was arrested and very surprised it has been recorded and passed onto the US as I was never charged with anything.

They don't pass on details of arrests to the US it's the fact that you answered yes to the question that denied you on ESTA. Have you ever travelled on the VWP program before without declaring your arrest? If so that may cause a delay as you would need a wavier. I'd advise you to get the police report/court report on your arrest (were you convicted?) as certain convictions make it difficult to get a B2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MoBoird

They don't pass on details of arrests to the US it's the fact that you answered yes to the question that denied you on ESTA. Have you ever travelled on the VWP program before without declaring your arrest? If so that may cause a delay as you would need a wavier. I'd advise you to get the police report/court report on your arrest (were you convicted?) as certain convictions make it difficult to get a B2.

I didn't answer yes and I have never travelled to the US before. Been to Australia, New Zealand and some other countries outside the EU without any problems.

I already have a police report which said 'no trace' and why i decided to go ahead with the visa waiver & ESTA, I had originally planned to be fully honest but then thought why hang myself and pay €110 for a visa.

Very minor offence, arrested for being a danger to myself for being so drunk on my 19th birthday

I didn't answer yes and I have never travelled to the US before. Been to Australia, New Zealand and some other countries outside the EU without any problems.

I already have a police report which said 'no trace' and why i decided to go ahead with the visa waiver & ESTA, I had originally planned to be fully honest but then thought why hang myself and pay €110 for a visa.

Very minor offence, arrested for being a danger to myself for being so drunk on my 19th birthday

Ok, I stand corrected they must have some record on you. You now have the greater problem that you lied on your ESTA though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hello
    Just looking for advise and feedback from people who have gone through the interview for a holiday visa for the US.

How long is it?

How formal is it?

What questions can I expect?

What documents should I bring to prove my ties to Ireland (this is the one that's bothering me as im currently unemployed and living at home with no outstanding debts)?

I done this two months ago.

Firstly you need to ring up the US Embassy (premium rate or credit card hotline) and talk to them, they will advise you and will then schedule you in for an embassy appointment.

You then fill all the details online, including a high quality digitised photo of yourself (as your photo goes on the visa which goes in your passport) like this

The interview process took me about 2hrs 15mins which involved just waiting mostly and going to the window, paying the fee and and answering a few questions, most important thing is be truthful and polite.

Being denied the ESTA is probably because you clicked yes "you were arrested" and at least you were telling the truth. As your arrest was for a very minor detail I would hazard a guess and say they will issue you with a visa without too much hassle.

Stinicker wrote: »
    and answering a few questions, most important thing is be truthful and polite.

Being denied the ESTA is probably because you clicked yes "you were arrested" and at least you were telling the truth. As your arrest was for a very minor detail I would hazard a guess and say they will issue you with a visa without too much hassle.

The questions they asked are what im interested in and actually I clicked no I wasn't arrested. Arrests aren't shared and I have a police report to say I have no record.

Why did you apply and not use the ESTA and visa waiver?

• Advertisement

I have a police report to say I have no record.

Does your cert say 'no trace' or 'no live trace', the second option tells them that there is something in your history, i.e. arrest but no conviction or a juvenile caution. You have to declare arrests on ESTA. Ordinarily I'd think you would be ok for a B2 except you lied on your ESTA and you can't be sure that they won't ask you about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Being "arrested" can be confusing, its really just being detained.

I'm no lawyer and this is purely an amateur opinion but I cant see any reason why one should have to declare if you've been arrested and then released without charge.

There's no guilt. No offense. Why should that hang over ones head if you're not guilty of anything and what right does anyone have to ask?

just sayin...

I agree InThe Trees, if a court of law finds you innocent you shouldn't have to declare that to anybody.

I just checked the ESTA question again, it actually says:
    Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

The OP didn't say what they were arrested for (an I'm not asking) but it seems like he may have been ok to answer no to the question. It surprises me then that the ESTA was denied.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Why should that hang over ones head if you're not guilty of anything and what right does anyone have to ask?

just sayin...

My thoughts exactly and why I decided not to declare it. Irish authorities don't share it (its actually a European law on privacy that stops them) so why should I give up my right to privacy just to visit a country. I have a feeling I got denied the ESTA by applying for the Gardai/Police report as there is an agreement between Ireland and the US that they will inform them when someone does this. The UK do the same.

I just checked the ESTA question again, it actually says:
    Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Good work. Its still confusing though because I think if you've been arrested and NOT charged (and thats a lot less than not convicted.) then you shouldnt have to declare it.

• Advertisement

Does your cert say 'no trace' or 'no live trace', the second option tells them that there is something in your history, i.e. arrest but no conviction or a juvenile caution. You have to declare arrests on ESTA. Ordinarily I'd think you would be ok for a B2 except you lied on your ESTA and you can't be sure that they won't ask you about that.

No Trace

The OP didn't say what they were arrested for (an I'm not asking) but it seems like he may have been ok to answer no to the question. It surprises me then that the ESTA was denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Try get into the habit of not volunteering information ;)

Sucks that you were declined ESTA, seems like you are being punished for being honest. Apologies for the tone of my original post, I took it up that you knowingly answered the question incorrectly :o

My moral turpitude is my own business!

Check out what I found on wikki, it seems the vwp is the main realm of moral turpitude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude:

Advertisement