Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single parent dating..?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right thread/place, but I'm sure someone will put me right if not. Been reading varous different threads on here on and off for a while now and decided to brave posting my own question.

Well, as the topic suggests, I'm a working single mum. I've a great house, good friends and family etc etc.. All is good except one thing is missing-someone to share it all with (and possibly extend family with too..) There are so many layers to my question but I think I'll try and keep it short and sweet in order to hopefully get as much feedback as possible (very long posts probably don't get read as much I reckon..)

I just want to know firstly if anyone else here is in this situation, or knows anyone who is, and what to do about it exactly?.. My problem is I live in a rural area (from Dub though) and don't have friends where I live, so that combined with having an ankle-biter means I don't get out in the evenings. The few times that I do, everyone is coupled up as it's a small community anyway..I've tried internet dating (quite a few times) and for various reasons I'm not doing it again..

I guess I'm just looking for any other avenues that others may have tried/know of..any groups out there for single mums and dads?...any success stories etc etc?.... :) Looking for any thoughts on this at all, I'm mid 30's quite ok-looking, financially ok, and got more than half a brain to burn..these are the years I shouldn't be single! :) So it's not that I've any major disadvantages (unless one might consider dating someone with a child just that..)- it's just finding ways to meet other people.. (also, I'm self employed and I don't meet others in the work that I do!).. Thanks for any input.

Cheers
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Ok to begin with, I'm not in the same position as yourself but my bestfriend was. She had her daughter very young and threw herself into work and study and did very well for herself but never knew how much or little to say to lads about her little girl. Rule of thumb she found was to find did she like them first, not the other way around. Just cos you have a child does not mean you settle for guys who like you, be as picky as you like. And then she decided not to mention her daughter until she had had enough of dates she knew that much about him she felt it was rude not to tell him. Her first bf post-Dad took off, had no interest. She is engaged to the second. He honestly didn't have a problem with it and was really looking forward to meeting her daughter. I think you need to be selfish here and look for a guy you like, forget there is a child in the equation and choose a guy you would choose if there wasn't. Then if it's meant to be it will be.
    Next up, where to look, she met her fella doing charity work. We all help out in an organisation, so she met him at a fundraising meeting. That or tag rugby would appear to be great ways of meeting people. Lately we ran a come-dine-with-me and everyone got to invite a friend the rest of the group did not know when they were hosting, my friend has been getting along very well with my OHs friend lately... Best of luck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Jacky. I am a single parent too and I had the same problem as you.
    I found a solution.
    Read the PM i sent you.
    Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Advertisement