Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scouting tool

Options
  • 25-07-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Over the last week I have been contemplating putting together an application that will help managers review a previous match with the view of helping them work out what tactics a team played. It is my hope to save people time when they are looking to scout a future opposition, so that they wont have to read the whole match to get their tactics.

Though I will need a little help and as we now have a free Monday night match I was wondering if a few people would be willing to try out different 100% tactics, so that I can gather a hopefully complete tactical plays database that will be used in the application?

What I would need is players playing

100% Driving or,
    100% Creative or,
    100% PNG or,
    100% Expansive.
    with people also playing maxed out on the kicking tactics, so
    100% Kick for Touch or,
    100% Up and Under.

If anyone wants to help out in this please post here what tactics you want to use this monday, and also your match id, so I can grab the match text after the game and start going through it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

satory wrote: »
    Over the last week I have been contemplating putting together an application that will help managers review a previous match with the view of helping them work out what tactics a team played. It is my hope to save people time when they are looking to scout a future opposition, so that they wont have to read the whole match to get their tactics.

Though I will need a little help and as we now have a free Monday night match I was wondering if a few people would be willing to try out different 100% tactics, so that I can gather a hopefully complete tactical plays database that will be used in the application?

What I would need is players playing

100% Driving or,
    100% Creative or,
    100% PNG or,
    100% Expansive.
    with people also playing maxed out on the kicking tactics, so
    100% Kick for Touch or,
    100% Up and Under.

If anyone wants to help out in this please post here what tactics you want to use this monday, and also your match id, so I can grab the match text after the game and start going through it.

I'll give it a go for you, I'll take 100% expansive and 100% up and under.

Presume the match ID is the number in the link? where it says fixture=? if so the ID is 5226925

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=5227055 is my match.

Men Who stare at goats will play:

20% kicking level, 100% to touch.

100% driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

cheers both of you...

My hope is for a beta of the application to be ready by friday, and Ill upload it for all of you here to test and make use of it, if it works.

must look into this API stuff etc and play around more once the ol exams are done and dusted!

This tool could be pretty useful imo, thanks for your efforts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

God bless you nerds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I'll do 100% PnG with 100% kicking for touch. Match ID here http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=5226941

I'll do 100% Creative! Wahey!

eoferrall wrote: »
    must look into this API stuff etc and play around more once the ol exams are done and dusted!

This tool could be pretty useful imo, thanks for your efforts! :)

This actually won't be using the api at the moment, as I don't believe the api gives out the match text, maybe down the road it may become integrated with the api, if the functionality exists but not at the moment.

The way I see it is that it will need the user to copy and paste the line-ups and the match review text into the app, much like Brat does

This actually won't an api using application at the moment, as I don't believe the api gives out the match text, maybe down the road it may become integrated with the api if the functionality exists but not at the moment.

The way I see it is that it will need the user to copy and paste the line-ups and the match review text into the app, much like Brat does

You and your techno mumbo jumbo, I'm just excited to see what happens when I go 100% creative... will it be the Mona Lisa or will it be a piece of turd with a flag stuck in it and a 4 paragraph explanation of meaning, we shall soon find out!

Haha... :)

100% driving in the pouring rain actually worked quite well. Beat a team I hadnt beaten in years.

• Advertisement

Saw the weather and was expecting a loss. both myself and templeogue seniors were similar ranking wise and so on.

100% expansive, happy days!

Satory it was with 10% kicking if you need that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

eoferrall wrote: »
    Saw the weather and was expecting a loss. both myself and templeogue seniors were similar ranking wise and so on.

100% expansive, happy days!

Satory it was with 10% kicking if you need that also.

Damn you sir, damn you

Cheers everyone, just home from work now, so I'll sepnd a few hours going through the matches and add the plays into a DB.

One thing im noticing/wondering is how to combat players that have the same name as a player on the other team, as most plays dont include a team name in the sentence, and the other issue I will need to address, although it shouldnt be too major is nicknames being used in the matches, rather than the teams name (looking at fewcifur: Munch Bunch, Death Dealers, and Sort Out Yer Knickers :) )

Cheers everyone, just home from work now, so I'll sepnd a few hours going through the matches and add the plays into a DB.

One thing im noticing/wondering is how to combat players that have the same name as a player on the other team, as most plays dont include a team name in the sentence, and the other issue I will need to address, although it shouldnt be too major is nicknames being used in the matches, rather than the teams name (looking at fewcifur: Munch Bunch, Death Dealers, and Sort Out Yer Knickers :) )

They're all cromulent names

This will be out at some point this weekend, I've just to to finish a few things, but everytime I start reading match reports to get the required sentences for plays my eyes just go on me :(

Also any body else here have 3(or even 2?) nicknames for their teams? and have you played Fewcifur's team at anypoint? I need to test the grabbing of multiple nicknames...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

This will be out at some point this weekend, I've just to to finish a few things, but everytime I start reading match reports to get the required sentences for plays my eyes just go on me :(

Also any body else here have 3(or even 2?) nicknames for their teams? and have you played Fewcifur's team at anypoint? I need to test the grabbing of multiple nicknames...

My team has 3 nicknames and have played him a few times.

Eireannach wrote: »
    My team has 3 nicknames and have played him a few times.

Cheers for that, that helped.

My team has a few nicknames also if you need another few matches to compare with frankie!

No im okay for nicknames at the moment, I just needed to see in what order I had them populating my list in, but cheers anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

The tools sounds exciting, trying to figure out tactics is my new "thing" and I am doing OK at it. Its fairly accurate apart from MOM defense but the 30 or so minutes is a pain to review a previous game and even more if you are trying to build a picture of the team.

I can only imagine what its like trying to figure out a software solution as while scouting is fairly natural to me now trying to explain how I do it would be nearly impossible as much of it is now "feeling" reading the game.

Anyway best of luck with the tool and I am looking forward to having a play

• Advertisement

I feel this whole thread has descended into hating on my team's numerous names. Excellent names. All of you be damned.

Leadership wrote: »
    The tools sounds exciting, trying to figure out tactics is my new "thing" and I am doing OK at it. Its fairly accurate apart from MOM defense but the 30 or so minutes is a pain to review a previous game and even more if you are trying to build a picture of the team.

I can only imagine what its like trying to figure out a software solution as while scouting is fairly natural to me now trying to explain how I do it would be nearly impossible as much of it is now "feeling" reading the game.

Anyway best of luck with the tool and I am looking forward to having a play

Yeah I never actually thought too much about the tactics of BR until that New Zealand U20's game last season came around and I got CC'd on JPenders pm about the process, then after a bit of though, I realized its possible, you really need to keep an up to date tactical DB to make sure it fully works, although a play here and there may not make much difference.

At the moment it will just be attacking plays come the first release, then after that I'll add the kicking into it and then look at seeing if I can pull out the defenses and also categorizing line breaks, if possible. the only thing that it probably wont be able to do, in the end will be intensity as it will only be using post match data.

Yeah I never actually thought too much about the tactics of BR until that New Zealand U20's game last season came around and I got CC'd on JPenders pm about the process, then after a bit of though, I realized its possible, you really need to keep an up to date tactical DB to make sure it fully works, although a play here and there may not make much difference.

At the moment it will just be attacking plays come the first release, then after that I'll add the kicking into it and then look at seeing if I can pull out the defenses and also categorizing line breaks, if possible. the only thing that it probably wont be able to do, in the end will be intensity as it will only be using post match data.

intensity is easiest to spot though, espeically with the energy at the moment.

If the tool could do any of the rest above, it would be incrdeible. fairplay and if you need beta testers, let me know!

Okay I have sent the 4 people that helped out last monday a BR mail, with regards to their league fixture last sunday I ran an early version of the tool over those matches and really want to know who different my results were to what you played, I know my own slightly different, but im still tweaking the search method, so it seems to vary at the moment, even though I think it should be right, or near enough. Once im happy with that, I'll add in the kicking plays, though I'll be away from my pc most of this week :(

Anyone interested in taking part again this monday for the friendlies? The more the merrier as I've got 183 different attacking plays already but I will need to be constantly/actively adding to this until it starts to give a good set of results to the users...

Thanks

Quickly looking at the feed back I'm getting, I'm short of Expansive plays in my DB...

If anyone wants to use that tactic tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I will go all expansive if you want

Game is 5227738

Team is Lunster and have 1 nickname....Luns

I'll go expansive again for you, worked out well for me last week! Just setting team now.

match ID: 5227545

Everyone Likes a tryer v Killarney RFC

I can go all whatever in my friendly if you want. Match id: 5227697

Templeogue Seniors -v- A lovely bunch altogether

any chance you wanna try driving, Oisinjm?

I'll add what ever I get from tonights games into the database and give it another shot on a few peoples last league fixtures and see how close it is then, and maybe what I'm missing. If I'm close enough to the right numbers I'll release a early version of it tomorrow some time, as I wont be back until next sunday/monday next week

• Advertisement

any chance you wanna try driving, Oisinjm?

I'll add what ever I get from tonights games into the database and give it another shot on a few peoples last league fixtures and see how close it is then, and maybe what I'm missing. If I'm close enough to the right numbers I'll release a early version of it tomorrow some time, as I wont be back until next sunday/monday next week

Sorry i had to go out and I couldnt set the tactics in time. Apologies.

My tactics are: Pick and Go: 30
    Driving: 30
    Expansive: 25
    Creative: 15

if thats any help to you

Advertisement