Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Second Year English

Options
  • 25-07-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey, guys.

I have just decided to do a major in English and Minor in Psychology next year and was wondering if any of you second year English students could help?

I have pretty much picked the modules I am going to do, but would appreciate any advice on which ones to avoid/consider because registration isn't until August.

Also, I would really appreciate it if anyone could post maybe the booklist for some of the modules? Money is quite tight and I would need to start saving now to buy them and considering damn UCD don't release them until we actually start, I could really do with spreading the cost over a couple of weeks rather than just one.

Anyway, here are the modules I am thinking about choosing:

Critical Theory (this is a core module)
    Renaissance Literature
    Romanticism
    Reading Medieval Literature (core module)
    20th Century Drama
    Modern American Literature
    Romanticism and Postmodernism
    Early American Writing
    The Child and the World
    Detecting Fictions: The Crime Novel
    The Short Story
    Contemporary American Writing

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you are going into second year consider avoiding level 3 modules eg Crime Novel, Child and the World. There are plenty of level 2 to choose from. Level 3 are much more difficult than level 2 and the level 2 modules are there to provide the basis for level 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Also, have a look at this page if you haven't read it already.

http://www.ucd.ie/englishanddrama/undergraduatestudies/english/stagetwo/leveltwo/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

20th Century Drama was quite good when I did it 2 years ago. The book was the Wadsworth Anthology of Drama (my copy is sitting right beside me now) and contains a lot of plays that you might end up using in 3rd year or even for a Masters like I am the moment. It was about 50 euro too but considering each play by itself costs about 10-12 euro it's probably one of the cheaper courses book wise.

My class was compulsory though so it might have changed somewhat.

For Medieval it's essentially the Riversid Chaucer which you should have already after first year because you're going to need it in 3rd year. That's about 30 euro if I remember correctly. You can get cheap copies of each in the SU bookshop though in good nick usually.

Advertisement