Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for America - New York

Options
  • 25-07-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about living and working in NYC for a year or so with my boyf but was wondering how visas work?

I'm currently finishing up my Masters at the moment so I think I can get a year visa provided it is within 12 months of my graduation date I think...

But my boyf is working in sales at the moment, doesnt have a university degree, think he has a business diploma. He also did a course last year fora bit, but left it for the job, I dunno if that counts for anything.

We both have relations over there who could probabley get us jobs too...my cousin has a fairly high powered job with Pepsico too, is it hard for them to get me sponsorship or whatever...

Any way anyone have any answers/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

gracielou wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about living and working in NYC for a year or so with my boyf but was wondering how visas work?

I'm currently finishing up my Masters at the moment so I think I can get a year visa provided it is within 12 months of my graduation date I think...
    You should be ok for the IWT or intern J1.
    gracielou wrote: »
    But my boyf is working in sales at the moment, doesnt have a university degree, think he has a business diploma. He also did a course last year fora bit, but left it for the job, I dunno if that counts for anything.

We both have relations over there who could probabley get us jobs too...my cousin has a fairly high powered job with Pepsico too, is it hard for them to get me sponsorship or whatever...

Any way anyone have any answers/advice?
    Sorry but I don't see any visa that your boyfriend is eligible for. To get a H1B skilled worker visa the job must require a degree and the company must show it can't get an American to do the job. Regardless of how willing your relatives are to sponsor him his qualifications don't allow it.

J2 is the visa that spouses of J1s can get and it does allow you to work (after 90 days from arriving as you have to apply for authorisation). I was trying to look up to see if the IWT J1 allows J2s or not (not all J1 programs do) but I can't seem to find any info on it. However you would have to be married for him to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gracielou

cool thanks very much for your advice, that was great help :)

Advertisement